Contribute
Register

macOS Sierra Does NOT Boot with MacPro3,1 MacPro4,1 System Definitions

GB:

Thanks for the information. However, there may be a glitch.

You said: "...download the install Sierra app, run it pointed at the USB connected drive and install to the external drive. Reboot to that drive to make sure it is a viable installation. If it is working, while you are there, download the app to your drive, create a UniBeast USB installer for booting your PCMac with, shutdown and move the drive to your build." I don't know if my wife wants to upgrade to Sierra at this point and it isn't my call anyway. After the boot to the USB device for verification, I assume that the hard drive would remain unchanged and the iMac would boot into El Capitan. Further, I assume that completing the USB device would be done under El Capitan.
It is not needed for you to upgrade your wife's iMac - only download the Sierra install app. When it automatically launches, select your USB connected external drive to install Sierra on. When installation on the USB connected drive is complete, hold the optio key while rebooting and select the USB drive to boot. If it boots OK, then you have a viable drive for your PCMac build. All you need then is to install it in your PC, boot with a USB drive with Clover installed on it and install files with MultiBeast.
Easiest way to create to boot USB is with UniBeast. I am not sure if installing to an external drive will delete the Sierra app from the iMac's app folder. If it does not, simply copy it to your external drive app folder and delete it from the iMac.
If that isn't the case, it there a Plan B? Finally, on my agenda is setting up a dual boot and installing a PCIe WiFi card. Would it be better to do these things now or after Sierra is installed?
Create it from the Sierra drive connected via USB once you have booted it and have the Sierra install app in the app folder.
Or, you can ignore all that to create a UniBeast USB and create a boot USB by following https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/test-drive-how-to-create-a-clover-usb.127134/

GB:

Update...

With no prompting from me, my wife did the Sierra upgrade on her iMac. So, similar to how I created my machine to begin with, I will extract her copy of Sierra to a USB device, etc. I should be doing that in the next couple of days and I'll post how it turn out.

Thanks!

Help required. I am struck at at initial setup. When I try to load from usb or hard disk I get this error "error allocating 0x11c64 pages at 0x000000000F449000 alloc type 2" kindly help.

So I changed the Board-ID listed in my config.plist to that of the MacPro5,1 which is
Mac-27ADBB7B4CEE8E61 and left all other SMBIOS details as they were under MacPro3,1.

Setting the board id as you suggested has worked with all smbios I have tried, 3,1 5,1 and 11,3.

Thank you so much for finding this out, I have speedstep finally.

OK so macOS Sierra is out soon, and we just wanted to clarify things a bit regarding system definitions. For years we here at tonymacx86.com have used MacPro3,1 as the suggested system definition in MultiBeast- it was a basic trouble free universal default. Starting with macOS Sierra, Apple has decided to drop support for MacPro3,1 and MacPro4,1 systems.

In order to test your system definition, navigate to the upper left corner and choose About This Mac. A window will open showing the booted system definition. If this shows Mac Pro (2008) or Mac Pro (2009) you will need to change your system definition before installing macOS Sierra. In fact, you will not be able to download macOS Sierra until you change it.

This is a pain for real Mac Pros, as they now have to trick the OS into supporting their platform. However for CustoMacs, changing your system definition is very simple.

1. Get the latest version of MultiBeast for El Capitan
2. Choose Customise > System Definitions > iMac > iMac14,2
3. Choose Build > Install
4. Reboot system

Going forward we're going to be using iMac14,2 system definition as our standard universal default. This is used in UniBeast 7.0 and for default MultiBeast 9.0 installations.

Hope this helps!
:geek::ugeek::mrgreen:
My system is defined as 14.1. I used this procedure with Multibeast 9.1.0 and selected 14.2 system definition. It still says 14.1 in about this mac.

Is there anything else I can do to change the definition?

My system is defined as 14.1. I used this procedure with Multibeast 9.1.0 and selected 14.2 system definition. It still says 14.1 in about this mac.

Is there anything else I can do to change the definition?

That info is found in your Clover config.plist

Check those with a plist viewer

Suggest you change boot loader from Chimera to Clover to make things easier. Then use Clover Configurator to change the system definition.
Would you care to be more specific about this answer...do you mean that a) Clover can be used as a stand alone boot loader, applied over a MultiBeast Chimera install without the need to create a Clover USB installer and reinstalling plus doing the post install stuff, and that, if we use Clover Configurator to only change the System Def, Sierra can be installed from the app store even if we've never used Clover for an install before? Hence, jumping from Yosemite to Sierra could be achieve that way without having to do a clean install then all of our software...or is it just a way to change the System Def quickly only to be able to download Sierra. AKA Clover Configurator can be used a little like Chameleon Wizard for SysDef, and SMBIOS and boot.plist

Would you care to be more specific about this answer...do you mean that a) Clover can be used as a stand alone boot loader, applied over a MultiBeast Chimera install without the need to create a Clover USB installer and reinstalling plus doing the post install stuff, and that, if we use Clover Configurator to only change the System Def, Sierra can be installed from the app store even if we've never used Clover for an install before? Hence, jumping from Yosemite to Sierra could be achieve that way without having to do a clean install then all of our software...or is it just a way to change the System Def quickly only to be able to download Sierra. AKA Clover Configurator can be used a little like Chameleon Wizard for SysDef, and SMBIOS and boot.plist
Chameleon/Chimera boot loader is a Legacy boot loader and does not boot UEFI systems in UEFI mode - hence the preferred boot loader in MultiBeast is now Clover since El Capitan. You can use MultiBeast to change the Chimera boot build system definition.

Whenever I upgrade I either clone the working drive and upgrade the clone first to evaluate the system before upgrading the working drive or I install-from-scratch on a clean drive. There are many techniques for doing this. UniBeast if you do not have a working system already, cloning or installing on an extra drive and moving that drive to a new build for instance. Whatever works best for you.

If your system is Legacy BIOS like the early Sandy Bridge or X58 platforms, then Clover installed Legacy mode is the best bet if you want to run UEFI based OS on Legacy BIOS. Chimera/Chameleon just will not work, although the Chameleon team did manage to get a version of Chameleon working somewhat with El Capitan.

Since you have a system in each category, suggest use an iMac definition for the Z77, download Sierra, take a new drive and connect it and install Sierra to the new drive. Install Clover to a USB drive, move both to the Asus build and boot to desktop to complete your post install, loading your audio and internet kexts and installing Clover to the drive. The advantage of this is it leaves you with an emergency boot USB.

Back