Contribute
Register

macOS Sierra Does NOT Boot with MacPro3,1 MacPro4,1 System Definitions

Er, Just a quick one. I've done loads of reading about serials... Structure length etc. More confusion and lots of conflict.

Pike's Universum
How to fix imessage
fitzweekly
facetime fix

Clover produces an 11 char's serial. I thought modern serials were 12 Char's? Also MLB was supposed to be 17 char's. Do you mean to copy the generated clover Mac serial and insert it in Rt Variables (for MLB) and then add 3 random capital characters? Sorry to be so dumb. : )

Er, Just a quick one. I've done loads of reading about serials... Structure length etc. More confusion and lots of conflict.

Pike's Universum
How to fix imessage
fitzweekly
facetime fix

Clover produces an 11 char's serial. I thought modern serials were 12 Char's? Also MLB was supposed to be 17 char's. Do you mean to copy the generated clover Mac serial and insert it in Rt Variables (for MLB) and then add 3 random capital characters? Sorry to be so dumb. : )

Yes, copy it over and then add 3 random capitol letters. I read it somewhere and have had no problems. There may also be an issue with the new 2 part or double security verification they are using now.

Hi!
I plan on updating to Sierra, from ML 10.8.3, with a fresh install.

I get a little confused by reading the posts on here.

Running 10.8.3, Appstore doesn't let me download Sierra. I get I need 14.2 as sysdef. Multibeast for ML doesn't have that option.
Can I run a more recent version of Multibeast to change sysdef to 14.2?

Also, can I run Sierra on my Intel 3770k ? Which sysdef should I use?

Thank you all!

Hi!
I plan on updating to Sierra, from ML 10.8.3, with a fresh install.

I get a little confused by reading the posts on here.

Running 10.8.3, Appstore doesn't let me download Sierra. I get I need 14.2 as sysdef. Multibeast for ML doesn't have that option.
Can I run a more recent version of Multibeast to change sysdef to 14.2?

Also, can I run Sierra on my Intel 3770k ? Which sysdef should I use?

Thank you all!
Suggest you change boot loader from Chimera to Clover to make things easier. Then use Clover Configurator to change the system definition.

OK so macOS Sierra is out soon, and we just wanted to clarify things a bit regarding system definitions. For years we here at tonymacx86.com have used MacPro3,1 as the suggested system definition in MultiBeast- it was a basic trouble free universal default. Starting with macOS Sierra, Apple has decided to drop support for MacPro3,1 and MacPro4,1 systems.

In order to test your system definition, navigate to the upper left corner and choose About This Mac. A window will open showing the booted system definition. If this shows Mac Pro (2008) or Mac Pro (2009) you will need to change your system definition before installing macOS Sierra. In fact, you will not be able to download macOS Sierra until you change it.

This is a pain for real Mac Pros, as they now have to trick the OS into supporting their platform. However for CustoMacs, changing your system definition is very simple.

1. Get the latest version of MultiBeast for El Capitan
2. Choose Customise > System Definitions > iMac > iMac14,2
3. Choose Build > Install
4. Reboot system

Going forward we're going to be using iMac14,2 system definition as our standard universal default. This is used in UniBeast 7.0 and for default MultiBeast 9.0 installations.

Hope this helps!
:geek::ugeek::mrgreen:

Hi Tonymac. Thanks for the information. Are there any patches in Multibeast to get a Super Micro x9Dai motherboard's hardware to be seen with 2 six core XEON E5 processors?

I have 32 gb RAM installed, USB 2 & 3 working, and an Nvidia card (GT 740) all that works in Mavericks but not El Capitan or Sierra. I was even able to get the sound working in Mavericks. Past Yosemite the machine can't see the RAM (seeing only half), the USB, and the sound. But in my Mavericks partition all the hardware is seen, and I was able to use a system definition closer to my hardware that is a MacPro 6,1 in Mavericks. I don't mind the iMac definition, but would need the machine to see the CPU type and core count of 2x6 XEON, get the USB to work and the sound to work with all the memory to be seen. Can Unibeast fix any of these problems? Thank You, Nick

Hi Tonymac. Thanks for the information. Are there any patches in Multibeast to get a Super Micro x9Dai motherboard's hardware to be seen with 2 six core XEON E5 processors?

I have 32 gb RAM installed, USB 2 & 3 working, and an Nvidia card (GT 740) all that works in Mavericks but not El Capitan or Sierra. I was even able to get the sound working in Mavericks. Past Yosemite the machine can't see the RAM (seeing only half), the USB, and the sound. But in my Mavericks partition all the hardware is seen, and I was able to use a system definition closer to my hardware that is a MacPro 6,1 in Mavericks. I don't mind the iMac definition, but would need the machine to see the CPU type and core count of 2x6 XEON, get the USB to work and the sound to work with all the memory to be seen. Can Unibeast fix any of these problems? Thank You, Nick

I've got a dual Xeon (Sandy Bridge-EP) build, so hopefully I can help out?

Are the USB controllers integrated with the board, or are you using standalone PCIE cards? Also, what generation of Xeons are you using? Westmere, Sandy, or Ivy?

OK, I have slogged through all 20 pages to this point and didn't see what I am about to ask...

I originally built my machine about this time in 2014. If I am not mistaken, that predates Clover. So, relating to eventually upgrading to Sierra...

• My System Definition is MacPro 3,1. I can copy El Capitan from my wife's iMac. It would seem that I could upgrade to El Capitan and have Clover included in the build and then do the Sierra upgrade.
Or...
  • Would it be easier, in terms of success probability, to upgrade directly to Sierra from Mavericks?
  • I don't care much about iMessage, but audio is VERY important. Is that a concern for either situation?
Thanks!

Last edited:
OK, I have slogged through all 20 pages to this point and didn't see what I am about to ask...

I originally built my machine about this time in 2014. If I am not mistaken, that predates Clover. So, relating to eventually upgrading to Sierra...

• My System Definition is MacPro 3,1. I can copy El Capitan from my wife's iMac. It would seem that I could upgrade to El Capitan and have Clover included in the build and then do the Sierra upgrade.
Or...
  • Would it be easier, in terms of success probability, to upgrade directly to Sierra from Mavericks?
  • I don't care much about iMessage, but audio is VERY important. Is that a concern for either situation?
Thanks!
I have a Z87I Deluxe Asus build that I upgraded from El Capitan and the upgrade went just as on an iMac. I used the 14,2 system definition for this build. I would suggest connect your drive to your wife's iMac USB port, download the install Sierra app, run it pointed at the USB connected drive and install to the external drive. Reboot to that drive to make sure it is a viable installation. If it is working, while you are there, download the app to your drive, create a UniBeast USB installer for booting your PCMac with, shutdown and move the drive to your build. Boot with UniBeast, download MultiBeast and proceed from there. Since you have Haswell hardware, a System Definition of 14,2 iMac should work well.

GB:

Thanks for the information. However, there may be a glitch.

You said: "...download the install Sierra app, run it pointed at the USB connected drive and install to the external drive. Reboot to that drive to make sure it is a viable installation. If it is working, while you are there, download the app to your drive, create a UniBeast USB installer for booting your PCMac with, shutdown and move the drive to your build." I don't know if my wife wants to upgrade to Sierra at this point and it isn't my call anyway. After the boot to the USB device for verification, I assume that the hard drive would remain unchanged and the iMac would boot into El Capitan. Further, I assume that completing the USB device would be done under El Capitan.

If that isn't the case, it there a Plan B? Finally, on my agenda is setting up a dual boot and installing a PCIe WiFi card. Would it be better to do these things now or after Sierra is installed?

Back