Contribute
Register

macOS Sierra Does NOT Boot with MacPro3,1 MacPro4,1 System Definitions

I've somehow been able to run Sierra on a MacPro3,1 sysdef...until the 10.12.1 update this morning.

Is it possible to trick the OS into booting by changing the sysdef and board ID (from github list) in the Clover Boot loader, just to get into the OS and backup some files?

Try to boot with -no_compat_check added to your boot args.

Hi, I have tried changing the system def - but still unable to download Sierra - its just said an error has occurred - I couldn't update anything - so I switch the system def back to Mac 3.1 and was able to update El Capitan at least.
anyone got any idea's?
about mac.jpg

Hi, I have tried changing the system def - but still unable to download Sierra - its just said an error has occurred - I couldn't update anything - so I switch the system def back to Mac 3.1 and was able to update El Capitan at least.
anyone got any idea's?
View attachment 218124
For Haswell hardware you should be using the iMac definition closest to your hardware.

With a machine made up of:
GA-Z77X-UP5-TH
i7 3770k
GTX 980ti
macOS 10.12.1

Should I stay with iMac 13,2 or update it to iMac 14,2 ? Does it matter?

With a machine made up of:
GA-Z77X-UP5-TH
i7 3770k
GTX 980ti
macOS 10.12.1

Should I stay with iMac 13,2 or update it to iMac 14,2 ? Does it matter?
It doesn't matter. iMac14,2 is the "new" Mac Pro 3,1 for the default MultiBeast (for Sierra).

I have Z68 chipset with i5 2500k CPU and the closest system definition to my system is iMac 12,2. I tried a various system definitions as MacPro 3,1 - does not boot at all, MacPro 4,1 and MacPro 5,1 crashing at the boot, MacPro 6,1 boots up but USB does not work, can not login. With iMac 12.2 and iMac 14.2 system definitions computer boots up and pretty much works. I don't know how to test with which system definition my system works perfectly, right now and in the future I don't want to have a lot of problems with system definition. Could you advice which I should use for my system?

If the iMac14,2 works for you, "don't try to fix a system that ain't broke." :thumbup:

I have Z68 chipset with i5 2500k CPU and the closest system definition to my system is iMac 12,2. I tried a various system definitions as MacPro 3,1 - does not boot at all, MacPro 4,1 and MacPro 5,1 crashing at the boot, MacPro 6,1 boots up but USB does not work, can not login. With iMac 12.2 and iMac 14.2 system definitions computer boots up and pretty much works. I don't know how to test with which system definition my system works perfectly, right now and in the future I don't want to have a lot of problems with system definition. Could you advice which I should use for my system?

I just updated my system to macOS Sierra. I'm using all old information from previous system and so far so good(sound is not perfect, but it's ok).

Back