Contribute
Register

macOS Sierra Does NOT Boot with MacPro3,1 MacPro4,1 System Definitions

So I changed the Board-ID listed in my config.plist to that of the MacPro5,1 which is
Mac-27ADBB7B4CEE8E61 and left all other SMBIOS details as they were under MacPro3,1.

Saved my changes and rebooted my system. It worked!

Interesting approach. I will have to try this here as well, as with iMac sysdefs I get sleep and sound issues.
But I assume it could get tricky during future updates...

But I assume it could get tricky during future updates...

Correct it would.

Prior to the Update (like now for example) you could copy
PlatformSupport.plist from /System/Library/CoreServices to your desktop and add your Model and Build-ID via a Plist Editor (Pro).

You would then need to move it back with the correct permissions so as to see any future updates appear (I assume).

After the Update (to say 10.12.1 for example) but prior to re-entering the OS you would need to use temp boot flags via the at the Clover Boot screen. On the boot loader screen, Choose Options > SMBIOS, there you can edit.
This is how I entered while my system was set to MacPro3,1: by entering the MacPro5,1 build-id and when that worked I knew changing my build-id permanently would allow me to stay on MacPro3,1.

I'm not skilled enough but I would like to think the Clover team would be able to work out a way to ignore the board-id check every reboot whilst also spoofing the build-id after an in place update: Do I expect too much ?

Last edited:
@Musical Chairs

I do not think there is a board check at all.
In order to install El Capitan on my X58A-UD7 I had to change from Chimera to Clover as the boot loader. I added the SMBIOS for a 4,1 and my DSDT to Clover (mounted in root, not the ESP).
The App Store refused to allow the Si3rra download with a 4,1 SMBIOS, so I copied the config.plist to have a record of it, edited the one in the Clover folder for a Mac Pro5,1 SMBIOS and downloaded Sierra and created the UniBeast USB installer with my DSDT and the 5,1 config.plist.
I tested the new UniBeast USB installer using Mac Pro 5,1 in the config.plist on my X58A-UD7 doing a clean install on a separate drive and installed Clover to the new install. I forgot the config.plist on the desktop of the old drove was 4,1 SysDef and copied it into the new Clover folder along with my DSDT and rebooted from the desktop.
Sierra booted with the old 4,1 SysDef without any problem.

This is what I wanted to verify with other X58 owners - that it worked for others also and was not just a fluke on my hardware.

Going forward we're going to be using iMac14,2 system definition as our standard universal default. This is used in UniBeast 7.0 and for default MultiBeast 9.0 installations.

Hope this helps!
:geek::ugeek::mrgreen:[/QUOTE]

Screen Shot 2016-09-29 at 12.40.18 AM.png

MultiBeast 9.0?

My apologies. I just saw this reply of yours.
Not sure how you managed with the 4,1 build-id but I was definitely stopped after the Clover boot menu (prior to any of the verbose text beginning to scroll). Was shown the 3,1 build-id and told it was incompatible.
Was forced to hold down the Power button on my tower to reboot.

@Musical Chairs

In order to install El Capitan on my X58A-UD7 I had to change from Chimera to Clover as the boot loader. I added the SMBIOS for a 4,1 and my DSDT to Clover (mounted in root, not the ESP).
The App Store refused to allow the Si3rra download with a 4,1 SMBIOS, so I copied the config.plist to have a record of it, edited the one in the Clover folder for a Mac Pro5,1 SMBIOS and downloaded Sierra and created the UniBeast USB installer with my DSDT and the 5,1 config.plist.
I tested the new UniBeast USB installer using Mac Pro 5,1 in the config.plist on my X58A-UD7 doing a clean install on a separate drive and installed Clover to the new install. I forgot the config.plist on the desktop of the old drove was 4,1 SysDef and copied it into the new Clover folder along with my DSDT and rebooted from the desktop.
Sierra booted with the old 4,1 SysDef without any problem.

This is what I wanted to verify with other X58 owners - that it worked for others also and was not just a fluke on my hardware.
I don't know if you'd know the answer to this then - on my X58 system, any changes I make to my config file aren't reflected in the System Properties window. I can see that I've changed it to 5,1 when I open the config file with both textedit and Clover Configurator, but it doesn't show in the System Properties. I'm completely baffled - any clues?

Checks are performed to ensure the correct KextToPatch are applied as seen here:

Authored by: slice2009 2016-07-07
more correct string allocation for matchos, by Micky1979
https://sourceforge.net/p/cloverefiboot/code/3591/

It also looks like Clover matches Product Name, Board-ID pretty comprehensively also:

Authored by: cecekpawon 2016-05-21
MacPro6,1 SmcRevision: 2.2f18 => 2.20f18 http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/306156-clover-bugissue-report-and-patch/page-43#entry2239535
https://sourceforge.net/p/cloverefiboot/code/3545/

Authored by: slice2009 2016-04-09
update data for imac14,2
https://sourceforge.net/p/cloverefiboot/code/3428/

All I know is 14,2 sucks as a choice for my 6 year old hackintosh.
I changed my SMBIOS back to 14,2 but booted with the 5,1 board-id (to be consistent) = half my previous Geek Bench result as my CPU was stuck at 9 Step again 1.2MHZ :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if you'd know the answer to this then - on my X58 system, any changes I make to my config file aren't reflected in the System Properties window. I can see that I've changed it to 5,1 when I open the config file with both textedit and Clover Configurator, but it doesn't show in the System Properties. I'm completely baffled - any clues?

It may be that the config.plist file that you are editing is not the one that you are booting with.
It may also be that the config.plist is corrupt, this can happen when you use a text editor to edit it.

Last edited:
It may be that the config.plist file the you are editing is not the one that you are booting with.
It may also be that the config.plist is corrupt, this can happen when you use a text editor to edit it.

I just used textedit to view it. You've got me thinking though about the fact that I might have selected my main boot drive instead of the clone I'm working on. I'm sure I'm not, but I'll find out tonight. Eager to hear any other ideas though.

It may be that the config.plist file that you are editing is not the one that you are booting with.
Just checked - neither of those two things... I've been doing this long enough to know when I'm messing up, but not now. I've done a complete reinstall of El Cap on a new drive, new config file and everything, and it stays on 3.1 whatever I do.

Back