Contribute
Register

macOS Sierra Does NOT Boot with MacPro3,1 MacPro4,1 System Definitions

OK so macOS Sierra is out soon, and we just wanted to clarify things a bit regarding system definitions. For years we here at tonymacx86.com have used MacPro3,1 as the suggested system definition in MultiBeast- it was a basic trouble free universal default. Starting with macOS Sierra, Apple has decided to drop support for MacPro3,1 and MacPro4,1 systems.

In order to test your system definition, navigate to the upper left corner and choose About This Mac. A window will open showing the booted system definition. If this shows Mac Pro (2008) or Mac Pro (2009) you will need to change your system definition before installing macOS Sierra. In fact, you will not be able to download macOS Sierra until you change it.

This is a pain for real Mac Pros, as they now have to trick the OS into supporting their platform. However for CustoMacs, changing your system definition is very simple.

1. Get the latest version of MultiBeast for El Capitan
2. Choose Customise > System Definitions > iMac > iMac14,2
3. Choose Build > Install
4. Reboot system

Going forward we're going to be using iMac14,2 system definition as our standard universal default. This is used in UniBeast 7.0 and for default MultiBeast 9.0 installations.

Hope this helps!
:geek::ugeek::mrgreen:

Nice write up Tony :). Just seems a bit odd that Mac Pro 3,1 & 4,1 has been discontinued in 10.12 as they are 64bit Machines.

Nice write up Tony :). Just seems a bit odd that Mac Pro 3,1 & 4,1 has been discontinued in 10.12 as they are 64bit Machines.
The cut-off for Mac Pro was 2010 - and there is not a great deal of difference between the 2009 Nehalem and the 2010 Nehalem other than the better CPU and a HD5770 in the 2010 (5,1) vs the GT120 in the 2009 (4,1)
http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...-quad-core-2.66-early-2009-nehalem-specs.html
http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...pro-quad-core-2.8-mid-2010-nehalem-specs.html

One of the cut specifications was the processor(s) had to support SSE4-1 code.

Architecture and age is a different kettle of fish, sometimes it is better to improve an OS in many ways to make it current than to hold back a new OS to keep an old in existence.

The cut-off for Mac Pro was 2010 - and there is not a great deal of difference between the 2009 Nehalem and the 2010 Nehalem other than the better CPU and a HD5770 in the 2010 (5,1) vs the GT120 in the 2009 (4,1)
http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...-quad-core-2.66-early-2009-nehalem-specs.html
http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...pro-quad-core-2.8-mid-2010-nehalem-specs.html

I know that the 2009 Mac Pro isn't out of the lurch just yet as someone made a tool which changes the EFI firmware to Mac Pro 5,1.

This method is there for those that want the fastest way to change over to the proper system definition without dealing with the iMessage headaches. What you and Stork define as a "simple" procedure can be very confusing to those not very intimate with Clover. If you don't have an MLB you will have to deal with the iMessage stuff anyway, but if you have a working one, there is no reason to change it unless you just want extra hassle. If you're starting fresh, the changeover procedure won't matter anyway as you'll be making a fresh machine essentially.

If you are advising people to take a lazy shortcut then there is an inherent responsibility to explain any possible drawbacks too.
If you use a mismatched system definition / serial number / MLB there is a strong probability that any existing iMessage and FaceTime operation will be invalidated. The App Store may allow you to download the operating system but you may well be restricted in the use of some included services. It will be blatantly obvious to Apple that they are not dealing with a genuine Mac.

The method Tia used I've been using for ages. Here is the thing.

About dialog uses serial number to Id mac. Everything else uses system definition. I'm not too worried about the caveat of about dialog that I never really look at.

imessage and everything still works (for now) but yes it'd be blatantly obvious to apple and they could blacklist the serial (in which case no big deal, would have needed a new one anyways if didn't take shortcut). I doubt they'd go as far as to blacklist entire account, just the bogus machine if they ever did, especially with how many real macs/iphones/ipads that are on it. Call up, act stupid, give them some real device serials, and they always fix it.

It is interesting that the imac definition causes bios XMP not to work, but clover XMP fixes it as tia also pointed out. I had same problem with my 2133mhz memory.

I have a MacPro3,1 w/ an ATI Radeon HD 5770.

Once I use MultiBeast to change the System Definition to an IMac14,2, can I then install Sierra as in an in place upgrade?

After changing the entries from MP 3,1 to iM 14,2, I noticed my CPU power management does not do its trick and always performing at its maximum GHz. Can you guys suggest a safe Sysdef for an LGA 775 Mobo + Core2duo E8400 CPU?

I know that the 2009 Mac Pro isn't out of the lurch just yet as someone made a tool which changes the EFI firmware to Mac Pro 5,1.
I had upgraded the CPUs in my old 2009 MacPro and with that upgrade was the requirement to bump up the EFI firmware as you state. While the App store would not recognise this as a valid machine for upgrade to Sierra I did go ahead and download Sierra and ran it through to succesful completion on the old MacPro.
So there is a way...

Back