Contribute
Register

macOS Sierra Does NOT Boot with MacPro3,1 MacPro4,1 System Definitions

I'm already using iMac12,2 ... iMessage working and I hate to screw that one up.

Can I easily just change definition to iMac14,2?

@tonymacx86 do you have 3 video cards in your system?

No it's the Radeon HD 7970- that's the way it shows up when using these settings in config.plist:

Screen Shot 2016-09-20 at 11.58.16 AM.png

I'm already using iMac12,2 ... iMessage working and I hate to screw that one up.

Can I easily just change definition to iMac14,2?

You don't need to since your system definition is already supported. This post only applies to newly unsupported systems such as MacPro3,1 and MacPro4,1.

Here's Apple's Hardware Requirements- includes all iMacs from 2009 and later.
https://www.apple.com/macos/how-to-upgrade/#hardware-requirements

Your system:
http://www.everymac.com/ultimate-mac-lookup/?search_keywords=iMac12,2

I'm on 10.10.5 with a clover install running 5.1 on an X99 board with a 5960x. Any reason I need to switch from 5.1 and I'm curious if anyone knows of any other issues I might face in an upgrade with the X99 and 5960x combo.
Sierra seems to prefer " integrated" graphics and display modes. A possible plus for you could be the ability to add another card in a " crossfire" type of set up. I have a pentium g3258 haswell and I was able to get my R9 270x to act as integrated and my RX 480 got acceleration.
Polaris support is in Sierra, how much and how accessible is to be determined but a few of us have had some success.

G3258 XFX 480 8gb.png

Since there is no mention of this in the post, am I right to assume that any hack running on Mac Pro 3,1 should function identically using iMac 14,2? It took me a while to get Clover running properly on my Z77 board so I don't want to risk breaking anything (I don't care about iMessage, just the core machine and 980Ti).

@SquishyTia

You said: Just a reminder: If you're on a Hackie with a using the MacPro3,1 sysdef, you need to change to iMac14,2 (unless you have no dedicated GPU card installed, in which case, iMac14,1 will be better).

what does the iMac 14.1 profile make it more appropriate if using a dedicated GPU card over the 14,2 definition?

Since there is no mention of this in the post, am I right to assume that any hack running on Mac Pro 3,1 should function identically using iMac 14,2? It took me a while to get Clover running properly on my Z77 board so I don't want to risk breaking anything (I don't care about iMessage, just the core machine and 980Ti).

3.1 definition is the default for Multibeast and it usually flags the system and stops boot up. I've tried as many others to get the 3.1 definition to work but in Sierra it's a no go.

@SquishyTia

You said: Just a reminder: If you're on a Hackie with a using the MacPro3,1 sysdef, you need to change to iMac14,2 (unless you have no dedicated GPU card installed, in which case, iMac14,1 will be better).

what does the iMac 14.1 profile make it more appropriate if using a dedicated GPU card over the 14,2 definition?

Pcie slot capability? Also the MacPro for dedicated graphics setups.

Back