Contribute
Register

macOS Sierra Does NOT Boot with MacPro3,1 MacPro4,1 System Definitions

I had upgraded the CPUs in my old 2009 MacPro and with that upgrade was the requirement to bump up the EFI firmware as you state. While the App store would not recognise this as a valid machine for upgrade to Sierra I did go ahead and download Sierra and ran it through to succesful completion on the old MacPro.
So there is a way...

Strange. How does it run?

I used MultiBeast 8.3.2 to change my rig from MacPro 3,1 to iMac 14,2 and while I can download and run the installer for Sierra. It runs, installs and asks to reboot (with warning for multiple reboots) but always ends up as El Cap (I started this as 10.11.6, and it's still iMac 14,2).

How can I see wtf went wrong? No, I didn't change my serial... just the MultiBeast process. Do I need to install from USB?

Sierra still doesn't show up in the Mac Store updates.

Last edited:
After changing my sysdef from macpro 3,1 to imac 14,2 I see a few glitches: My audio starts popping at the beginning of a system sound and the CPU seems to run faster than before. I haven´t upgraded yet, but will it be possible to change the sysdef back after the upgrade? Tonymacx86´s explanation just covers the download blockage for those systems, although it says "does not boot" in the title. But has anyone already tried to change the sysdef back after the upgrade?

This guide should give you an insight into the process :
http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/an-idiots-guide-to-imessage.196827/

If you get stuck the following guide goes into much more detail :
http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/how-to-fix-imessage.110471/

Although both are primarily for iMessage the procedure is the same to enable most Apple contact services.

OK, I updated the SysDef to 14,2 and followed your guidE to set up iMessage and all. Seems to work fine now, thx.

After changing my sysdef from macpro 3,1 to imac 14,2 I see a few glitches: My audio starts popping at the beginning of a system sound and the CPU seems to run faster than before. I haven´t upgraded yet, but will it be possible to change the sysdef back after the upgrade? Tonymacx86´s explanation just covers the download blockage for those systems, although it says "does not boot" in the title. But has anyone already tried to change the sysdef back after the upgrade?

I think it's because CPU Power Management is always performing at full speed thus CPUPM is absent. But sleep works for me, it didn't break after changing the sysdef.

I attached a screenshot of hwmonitor. Frequency does not change (2.99ghz) even if its idle.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-09-21 at 6.07.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-09-21 at 6.07.25 PM.png
    84.1 KB · Views: 282
If I have an older CPU (3770K - Ivy Bridge) which is not a Haswell (required by system definition iMac14,2 ??) would I be able to upgrade to Sierra? Thanks

After changing the entries from MP 3,1 to iM 14,2, I noticed my CPU power management does not do its trick and always performing at its maximum GHz. Can you guys suggest a safe Sysdef for an LGA 775 Mobo + Core2duo E8400 CPU?
Closest Mac would be an iMac9,1 for your hardware. What you might try is a later iMac definition and use FakeCPUID in Clover to get power management to work.

I have the most annoying bug, and want to fix that before upgrading to Sierra.

I have always used the macpro3.1 defs. but wanting to upgrade sierra i need another one, so im trying the imac 14.2 ones now.

The issue im having is that not all USB ports port with this definition... and i cant figure out why that is..

anyone has an idea or clue..?

Back