Contribute
Register

macOS Sierra Does NOT Boot with MacPro3,1 MacPro4,1 System Definitions

cool thx for tip!

iMac 14,2 doesn't use AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement like iMac 13,2 so you'd get away with using iMac 13,2 on sandy bridge.

ok, i basically hope to get rid of the black screen issue. I use multiple monitors. One way is to deplug all but the hdmi one if i remember right, but thats no viable solution in the long run. Has there been a proper way to solve this finally?

ok, i basically hope to get rid of the black screen issue. I use multiple monitors. One way is to deplug all but the hdmi one if i remember right, but thats no viable solution in the long run. Has there been a proper way to solve this finally?

Black screen can be caused by many things.

Hello all. I've read all 18 pages in this thread and more. Still very much a noob. Trying to upgrade from 10.6.8 all the way to Sierra. First problem is Sierra will not download through the App Store. Using MultiBeast 3.10.1 I changed the System Definition from MacPro 5,1 to iMac 12,2. There are no further choices/no 14,2. After 10th try system did boot and is working well and Model Identifier in System Profiler is "iMac 12,2". App Store still gives me "This version of macOS 10.12.3 cannot be installed on this computer."

Is it possible to do this?

From "UniBeast: Install macOS Sierra on Any Supported Intel-based PC: UniBeast is a tool that creates a bootable installer out of your downloaded version of macOS. In order to start fresh, you'll need access to a functional computer running OS X Lion 10.7.5 or later. This is a requirement, as you need access to the Mac App Store to download macOS and create the installation drive. To start from scratch, booting the 10.6 Snow Leopard Retail DVD directly, check out iBoot + MultiBeast."

If not, will starting from scratch with iBoot/MultiBeast/and Snow Leopard Retail DVD be of any help?

Thanks much for any clarification.

Hello all. I've read all 18 pages in this thread and more. Still very much a noob. Trying to upgrade from 10.6.8 all the way to Sierra. First problem is Sierra will not download through the App Store. Using MultiBeast 3.10.1 I changed the System Definition from MacPro 5,1 to iMac 12,2. There are no further choices/no 14,2. After 10th try system did boot and is working well and Model Identifier in System Profiler is "iMac 12,2". App Store still gives me "This version of macOS 10.12.3 cannot be installed on this computer."

Is it possible to do this?

From "UniBeast: Install macOS Sierra on Any Supported Intel-based PC: UniBeast is a tool that creates a bootable installer out of your downloaded version of macOS. In order to start fresh, you'll need access to a functional computer running OS X Lion 10.7.5 or later. This is a requirement, as you need access to the Mac App Store to download macOS and create the installation drive. To start from scratch, booting the 10.6 Snow Leopard Retail DVD directly, check out iBoot + MultiBeast."

If not, will starting from scratch with iBoot/MultiBeast/and Snow Leopard Retail DVD be of any help?

Are you using an old Multibeast? Please list your equipment layout in your signature or user ID configuration, the rules require it. It makes it easier for people to relate to your system when helping you without typing it in every other post.

Last edited:

As stated above, no one can help you until you fill in your hardware profile. If you do install Snow Leopard first then upgrade to Lion it will make it possible to download Sierra, even with the 12,2 sysdef.

Sorry... updated profile. Multibeast is 3.10.1; can I just use the most recent version and try updating just the system definition?

How best to get the upgrade from Snow Leopard to Lion (no access to other macs)? Can this be purchased as a disk?

The system def. does not matter, use MP 3,1 until you have Lion installed. Get that installed first then change it to one of the iMac versions available in Multibeast for Lion. 11,2 or 12,2 should work.

You will download Lion here: http://www.apple.com/shop/product/D6106Z/A/os-x-lion
Make a Unibeast installer with it, upgrade your SL install with it. Then the MAS will let you download Sierra.

Last edited:
I had this issue, ended up remaking my config.plist so it would identify correctly and then download the installer from another mac. create the USB disk, just wipe your existing install and use a backup to restore your apps and settings.

So my hackintosh is running Mavericks right now. Can I use the UniBeast for El Capitan to change the profile? Also, I am using a HD6870 for my graphics, I assume that is still supported. I do have a spare GTX 770 around as well.

Back