Contribute
Register

MacOS rebuilding Kext Cache after installing BlackMagicDesign Desktop Video

Well, After Investigating I have good news! :)
1. Install Desktop Video 12.4
2. Before Reboot launch Terminal and enter:
sudo mv /Library/Application\ Support/Blackmagic\ Design/Blackmagic\ DeckLink/Signed\ Extensions/BlackmagicIO.kext /Library/Extensions
3. Restart
4. Update firmware
5. Have Fun! :)
I confirm it works also with SIP enable

Well, After Investigating I have good news! :)
1. Install Desktop Video 12.4
2. Before Reboot launch Terminal and enter:
sudo mv /Library/Application\ Support/Blackmagic\ Design/Blackmagic\ DeckLink/Signed\ Extensions/BlackmagicIO.kext /Library/Extensions
3. Restart
4. Update firmware
5. Have Fun! :)
I confirm It works with Resolve 18.6 and Desktop Video 12.6 + Decklink 8KPro

I confirm It works with Resolve 18.6 and Desktop Video 12.6 + Decklink 8KPro
I spoke to soon
The next morning I boot and BlackmagicIO.kext has disappeared from /Library/Extensions
Where did it goes ???? In quarantine :confused:. Where is it ?
Any Ideas
Any Solution

I found a BlackmagicIO.kext in /Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Extensions/...
Moving this one back to /Library/Extensions ... doesn't make the BlackMagicDesign driver work ... MacOS doesn't ask to allow it

Last edited:
I spoke to soon
The next morning I boot and BlackmagicIO.kext has disappeared from /Library/Extensions
Where did it goes ???? In quarantine :confused:. Where is it ?
Any Ideas
Any Solution

I found a BlackmagicIO.kext in /Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Extensions/...
Moving this one back to /Library/Extensions ... doesn't make the BlackMagicDesign driver work ... MacOS doesn't ask to allow it
Same issue ...

Have you found how to rebuild cache in Monterey?
this what I found:

sudo kextcache -i / && sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
Password:
Executing: /usr/bin/kmutil install --volume-root / --check-rebuild
rebuilding local auxiliary collection
kmutil done
It looks like you're trying to create a prelinked kernel. Kextcache is deprecated and no longer suitable for use. You can build a kext collection containing the same kexts by invoking: /usr/bin/kmutil create -n boot --boot-path /Library/Apple/System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel -f 'OSBundleRequired' == 'Local-Root' --kernel /System/Library/Kernels/kernel --repository /System/Library/Extensions --repository /Library/Extensions --repository /System/Library/DriverExtensions --repository /Library/DriverExtensions --repository /Library/Apple/System/Library/Extensions

Have you found how to rebuild cache in Monterey?
this what I found:

sudo kextcache -i / && sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
Password:
Executing: /usr/bin/kmutil install --volume-root / --check-rebuild
rebuilding local auxiliary collection
kmutil done
It looks like you're trying to create a prelinked kernel. Kextcache is deprecated and no longer suitable for use. You can build a kext collection containing the same kexts by invoking: /usr/bin/kmutil create -n boot --boot-path /Library/Apple/System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel -f 'OSBundleRequired' == 'Local-Root' --kernel /System/Library/Kernels/kernel --repository /System/Library/Extensions --repository /Library/Extensions --repository /System/Library/DriverExtensions --repository /Library/DriverExtensions --repository /Library/Apple/System/Library/Extensions
is it working despite the message :
"It looks like you're trying to create a prelinked kernel. Kextcache is deprecated and no longer suitable for use. You can build a kext collection containing the same kexts by invoking: /usr/bin/kmutil create -n boot --boot-path /Library/Apple/System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel -f 'OSBundleRequired' == 'Local-Root' --kernel /System/Library/Kernels/kernel --repository /System/Library/Extensions --repository /Library/Extensions --repository /System/Library/DriverExtensions --repository /Library/DriverExtensions --repository /Library/Apple/System/Library/Extensions"
?
Do you tried it on Ventura ?
Witch version of desktop video did you successfully installed ?
Thanks

is it working despite the message :
[I]"It looks like you're trying to create a prelinked kernel. Kextcache is deprecated and no longer suitable for use. You can build a kext collection containing the same kexts by invoking: /usr/bin/kmutil create -n boot --boot-path /Library/Apple/System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel -f 'OSBundleRequired' == 'Local-Root' --kernel /System/Library/Kernels/kernel --repository /System/Library/Extensions --repository /Library/Extensions --repository /System/Library/DriverExtensions --repository /Library/DriverExtensions --repository /Library/Apple/System/Library/Extensions" ?[/I]
Do you tried it on Ventura ?
Witch version of desktop video did you successfully installed ?
Thanks
I am not sure if the kernel has been rebuilt, because I checked the location /System/Library/Kernels/, all files remain on old date. (AFAIK, there should be the kernel cache)
I found your post also because of "rebuilding kernel under Monterey".
Reading this Apple description, I would assume your drivers(kexts) would be installed into /L/E/ then rebuild cache, and reboot, it should then work.
But how to determine the drivers has been joined to system kernel? esp. it seems since macOS 12/Monterey it has a different approval mechanism.

A side note
I upgrade to Sonoma 14.2 and DesktopVideo 12.1 is still working

Back