Contribute
Register

macOS Native Discrete GPU Power Management

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe we should add MacBook Pro 15,1 into the table owing to the latest release? I think this native kext must be updated to enable native DGPU power management on a genuine MacBook Pro 15,1.

My desktop config is 8700K + 650Ti(iGPU disabled)and I am using Mac Mini 8,1 smbios.
A few questions I'd like to raise:
1.Why is copying the iGPU section of Mac Mini 8,1 from AGPM.kext to dAGPM necessary if mine is disabled in BIOS?
2.Does AGPM showed in a non-using port matter? As shown in the picture, AGPM is enabled in port0. But I'm using port 2 and 3. Personally speaking, I think it does not matter. Hope you could help me clarify it.
upload_2018-12-12_11-24-48.png

3.How is this codeless kext doing the magic behind the scenes? As far as I can know, real AGPM.kext has a lot of settings for Nvidia cards in the iMac13,2 section. But this kext barely has setting for Nvidia cards which does not exist(Device id 1234).
upload_2018-12-12_11-16-1.png

For comparison, down below is the setting from iMac13,2 section from vanilla AGPM.kext.
It's a real card(Device id 0fe0, i.e. GeForce GTX 660M).
upload_2018-12-12_11-21-15.png

Why is copying the iGPU section of Mac Mini 8,1 from AGPM.kext to dAGPM necessary if mine is disabled in BIOS?
No
Does AGPM showed in a non-using port matter?
No
As far as I can know, real AGPM.kext has a lot of settings for Nvidia cards in the iMac13,2 section
Lower thermals for iMacs and MacBookPros
Do you need lower thermals?

No

No

Lower thermals for iMacs and MacBookPros
Do you need lower thermals?
Thanks for your input. If copying iGPU is unnecessary for discrete graphics only, wouldn't it be better to put it in the tutorial? So others would not be confused as I was.
BTW, AGPM seems to be somehow working even it's not shown in the IOREG for my 650Ti. Frequency won't keep the highest all the time. Any ideas for this?

If copying iGPU is unnecessary for discrete graphics only, wouldn't it be better to put it in the tutorial?
No. As in the native case, it is there when needed.
AGPM seems to be somehow working even it's not shown in the IOREG for my 650Ti
Not likely, see Post #1/IV. Problem Reporting; attach all requested files

Made the move today: the modded kext works well for my iMac 14,2 SMBIOS and a Radeon RX 580 (instead of native AGPM for NVidia).

Thanks toleda!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back