Register

macOS Native Discrete GPU Power Management

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought it had to be 4
Nvidia GPU only, see Post #1
i used HW monitor/terminal for mac and gpu-z for windows
Not aware of work to valid HW monitor to gpu-z
card runs(and feels) hotter in macOS and fans spin up at 52, cool down to 45 and stop spinning. Warms back up to 52. Starts spinning, Repeats every few minutes
Suggest same experiment on iMac 27 w/Pro 580 (mobile)

can someone please help me understand Table 1?

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

example: If I have a AMD R9 M3xx/Pro 4xx, then the model ID needs to be iMac17,1 or GPU power management is not going to work?

Is this correct?

Is this correct?
No, Table 1 criteria is the CPU generation. This post addresses only the configurations where the supported graphics is not compatible with the installed graphics.
See Table 1/Xeon E5_v2 ...

2 questions please

1. How do I confirm XCPM is working? I am looking at my system using IOJones and I can see X86PlatformShim. I've compared several properties and it seems the same values as the one in the screenshot.

2. In regards to editing dAGPM.kext, do I need to delete Mac-AMD and Mac-Nvidia after copying/pasting the board ID (no IGPU here - MacPro6.1). I have a Nvidia card here.

my dAGPM.kext/Info.plist looks like this:

lZHKlN4.png

thanks!

Last edited:
@toleda

First and foremost, thank you so much for this guide! I followed your guide as closely as I could, and I just wanted to make sure that I did it correctly. I attached 2 screenshots. Does this mean that I did it correctly? Do I have native discrete GPU power management?

Thanks!

-Kyle

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-20 at 7.08.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-20 at 7.08.34 PM.png
    118.3 KB · Views: 125
  • Screen Shot 2018-11-20 at 7.08.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-20 at 7.08.52 PM.png
    132 KB · Views: 120
Hi Toleda

I recently upgraded to macOS 10.14.1 from 10.13.6. At the same time I replaced my nVidia 750ti graphics with an AMD RX570 due to the ongoing issues with Nvidia web drivers for Mojave.

I successfully used your guide to achieve power management with the nVidia card (thank you), but have been unable to do so with the AMD card.

Problem report:
  1. Without the modified dAGPM kext, Heuristc-ID is 4 but with kext, unable to display Heuristc ID, suggesting no power management.
  2. macOS 10.14.1/Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK/BIOS F8/Intel Core i7 4790K/AMD RX570.
  3. Guide used for Haswell/iMac 15.1 with AMD Graphics and modified dAGPM kext.
  4. All requested files attached.
Any help hugely appreciated.

Attachments

• Files.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 96
unable to display Heuristc ID, suggesting no power management.
missed a step, board-ids do not match
edit dAGPM kext/Info.plist/board-id to IOReg/.../board-id

IOReg/iMac15,1/board-id/"
Screen Shot 2018-11-24 at 3.35.40 PM.png
dAGPM kext/Info.plist
Screen Shot 2018-11-24 at 3.37.10 PM.png

missed a step, board-ids do not match
edit dAGPM kext/Info.plist/board-id to IOReg/.../board-id

Numpty error! Changed and Heuristic-ID now ff ff ff ff.

Thank you so much for all the fantastic and invaluable guides and support you provide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back