Contribute
Register

macOS Native Discrete GPU Power Management

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone help me applying this guide?

@toleda Thanks for the great guide!

Took me quite a few pages of this thread to find out why it didn't work initially for me.
- I reverted back to Multibeast SMBIOS for iMac17,1 instead of clover configurator generated one ( copied over serial number )
- I didn't add my Device-ID to Vendor10deDevice
- Loading the driver in S/L/E didn't fix my loading issues because of other errors
- InjectKexts in clover was on "Detect", changing to Yes and removing the patches for GFX0→IGPU since I run graphicsfixup.
Changing to "Yes" and keep it as a string seems to work fine. I guess since it has multiple options a boolean value would be incorrect.
- I didn't realise that iMac17,1 has different board IDs, this guide will work great if you just used multibeast.

So far performance doesn't seem to have improved much, slight clock increase. I would be curious if there were ways of unlocking the normal clockspeed of this card on macOS.

Hope this helps some other lost soul who didn't go through all the replies!
may I ask you how much time your system takes to complete shutdown ( after exit all apps )

EDIT: Deleted post asking for help.

I was putting i7 board-id into my dagpm.kext instead of i5. Silly me. Updated my board-id and now its working.

Thank you for the great guide toleda! Thanks to you I have native cpu/igpu pm working and now near native dgpu pm (oh and audio;).

:thumbup:

Last edited:
I have 8700k + GTX1070 and definition 18.3.

I've done everything according to the manual but didn't feel any difference in HeavenBenchmark. While benchmark in windows is still 30% higher than in macOS.
Is it because macOS doesn't support coffee lake?

I've done everything according to the manual but didn't feel any difference in HeavenBenchmark.
No files attached, impossible to know if everything you did is correct.
See Post #1/Problem Reporting; attach all requested files
While benchmark in windows is still 30% higher than in macOS.
Normal.
Is it because macOS doesn't support coffee lake?
10.13.6 Special and 10.14 support Coffee Lake

I have a R9 390x on my skylake system(iMac 17.1 System Definition). What I am doing is Injecting Ati only with just Framebuffer name "Radeon" and IGPU as connectorless mode with whatevergreen. Also Platform Plugin is loaded and as described heuristic id showed as lots of f. If no injection agpm goes astray and then some of window on mac makes app crashes. I think injecting framebuffer enables my card power management. Probably doing that step without injection will show the same result on my system. But im curious my card has a proper power management or not? Thanks.

hi guys. hi @toleda
i am troubling on this: if I have a 8700k z370 plus vega64, it's better to choose imac18,3 as system definition or imacpro1,1?

I have also an i8700K Z370 with a Sapphire Vega64 Reference (watercooled) - so no spinning fans :D
@xelanaiznac First I have set the system definition to iMac18,3 - and now to iMac Pro 1,1. I can see no difference here.

The table in #1 shows "TBA" for Coffeelake - so I have absolutely no idea what I have to do to my system - but my "PowerLEDs" on the Vega Card goes up and down all the time (10 LEDs to indicate the Power Consumption/Load Indiciation, every second all 10 LEDs flashes). At the peak of 10, you can also here a whisper from the card. It looks like the card is under load and working (also in idle).

Is this the same problem here? Powermanagement? Whispering is annoying - LEDs flashing is annoying. But thats okay. I just do not want the card is permanently loaded and constantly draws a lot of power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back