Contribute
Register

macOS Native CPU/IGPU Power Management

Hi everyone I need your help with CPU power management. As you can see in screenshot, there is no x86platformplugin. How can I fix it ?

My Device: Acer Swift 3. Intel i3 8145U. UHD 620. And I use Macbookpro 15,2 SMBIOS

Attachments

• F96D14CE-F92A-49ED-BED7-11B4712EF490.png
    F96D14CE-F92A-49ED-BED7-11B4712EF490.png
    89.4 KB · Views: 115
Hi everyone I need your help with CPU power management. As you can see in screenshot, there is no x86platformplugin. How can I fix it ?

My Device: Acer Swift 3. Intel i3 8145U. UHD 620. And I use Macbookpro 15,2 SMBIOS
Need more info. Clover? Opencore? OS Version? EFI Folder. etc.

Hello Guys,
does this guide work for Mobile intel Xenon Coffee lake E2286M processor?

I stumbled upon some very interesting PluginType=0 behavior by accident - see here. Has anyone else observed this? I get better Geekbench 5 multi-core benchmarks with PluginType=0 than with PluginType=1 and my CPU low multiplier states are lower.

Last edited:
1.-------
6 years ago I tried to get PM working with the ssdtPRgen SSDT method (with no luck after weeks of tinkering)

Now just updated to Catalina. I thought here was hope seeing a new method to enable PM!

But like a cruel joke ... the exact same problem happens..
X89PlatformPlugin loaded with 37 values of CPUPStates. AppleLPC loaded.

But why is it that both the Intel Power App and HW monitor app both suggest that i’m only using 8x, 40,41,42,43,44x multipliers... ???

Im at a loss .... If my PM is indeed not working properly. Is anyone able to tell me where its going wrong ???

I NEED CLOSURE god damnit!!! :cry:

2.--------
OS X: 10.15.7
MOBO: GA-Z97M-D3H
BIOS: F9b
CPU: 4790K
GPU: RX580
3.---------
Tried both Clover patched and SSDT-XCPM method (last method tried which is what is presently installed -> SSDT-XCPM + SSDT-LPCB-9)
4.---------

Attachments

• HackintoshApp_AppleIntelInfopdf.pdf
    24.1 KB · Views: 34
  • config.plist
    7.8 KB · Views: 30
  • VirtualRecess.ioreg
    5.1 MB · Views: 25
  • IntelApp.png
    IntelApp.png
    119.9 KB · Views: 24
You don't need to use a custom SSDT with your Haswell system for CPU power management. Simply change PluginType from False to True in your config.plist and CPU PM will work.

Screenshot 2022-12-27 at 22.59.03.png Current setting PluginType=False

Screenshot 2022-12-27 at 22.59.14.png Revised setting PluginType-True

Remember to delete the SSDT you have created from the /CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder.

Test with Intel Power Gadget to see if this works on your system.

I stopped using the SSDT-PM.aml I created for my i7-4790K, i7-4770K and i5-4440 CPU's quite a few years ago, once I realised this Clover entry dealt with CPU power management.

Creating an SSDT-PLUG.aml with Corpnewt's SSDTTime script and your system DSDT.aml does the same when using Clover or OpenCore to boot your hack.

Thanks for the super quick response!

Unfortunately the thing that has me confused is that I’ve already tried and tested the Generate PluginType=1 method through clover previously without an installed Patched SSDT (Both with and without the supplied SSDT-LPCB-9).

Since your reply, I switched to the PluginType=1 config in clover along with with the SSDT-LPCB still installed in ACPI/Patched

With the Intel Power gadget. you can see there is somewhat some more fluctuations if left at a slower update rate.

But if I set the Screen Update Resolution (SUR) from 500ms to 50ms. It clearly shows thats its still just running at 8x, 40-44x

This matches what HWmontor has been showing me all this time which has been a cpu multiplier of only 8x, 40-44x values.

Maybe my idea of what PM is has been wrong, But to me I would have thought there were more values of CPU multipliers than whats beens shown ?

Attachments

• Intel_500ms_SUR.png
    Intel_500ms_SUR.png
    137.9 KB · Views: 31
  • Intel_50ms_SUR.png
    Intel_50ms_SUR.png
    143.1 KB · Views: 33
  • HWMonitor_GIF_.gif
    HWMonitor_GIF_.gif
    185.5 KB · Views: 29
This is the output from Intel Power Gadget for my i7-4790K CPU.

Screenshot 2022-12-28 at 00.13.09.png

As you can see more than just the few Power settings you are seeing. This is running macOS Ventura on my iMac 1 system in my signature. Using the SSDT-PLUG.aml generated from my system DSDT.aml and Corpnewt's SSDTTime python script.

I can't use the PluginType option as I am using OpenCore not Clover.

I don't think your ideas of what CPU power management involves is wrong. It just isn't working on your system.

This could be due to another config.plist entry, which clashes with, or fails to implement the CPU PM settings. The most likely place for this is the KernelAndKextPatches section of your config.plist.

These are the Kernel Settings you are currently using.

Screenshot 2022-12-28 at 00.19.06.png All set to False.

These are the Kernel Settings I used with my Haswell systems.

Screenshot 2022-12-28 at 00.23.02.png Not all set to False.

You may want to try changing the three settings Enabled/True above in your setup. While using the Generate > PluginType=True option.

Revised config.plist for Haswell system.

I have attached a copy of a config.plist I would use with a Haswell system like yours. Have a look at it and see the differences between your and my config's.

The biggest differences are as follows:
  1. I have the IGPU framebuffer (Headless) in the Device > Properties section of the config.plist, not the Graphics section.
  2. The only entry in the Graphics section is the 'RadeonDeInit=true' option.
  3. I use the iMac15,1 SMBIOS for macOS up to and including Big Sur (no serial etc. in the config), not the iMac14,2 SMBIOS.
If you want to try this config.plist just regenerate the iMac15,1 SMBIOS in Clover Configurator and check it against the Apple Services database using the Check Coverage button.

Copy your current EFI to the EFI partition on a spare USB drive, and replace your current config with this one, after renaming it to config.plist.

You may need to use the F11 key to clear NVRAM and reboot the system, when you reach the Clover boot screen. This needs to be done before you try to boot macOS, otherwise some settings from your current config may clash with the new settings.

If you post a copy of your system DSDT.aml I could generate an SSDT-PLUG.aml for your system.

Attachments

• config-Haswell.plist.zip
    2.6 KB · Views: 34
Thank you for the help.

Though unfortunately there was no success in the suggestions you listed. Had been trialing them among others over the past few days. (Happy to drop my DSDT.aml for you to look at below as well)

This is the output from Intel Power Gadget for my i7-4790K CPU.

View attachment 560721

As you can see more than just the few Power settings you are seeing. This is running macOS Ventura on my iMac 1 system in my signature. Using the SSDT-PLUG.aml generated from my system DSDT.aml and Corpnewt's SSDTTime python script.

The thing thats got me running in circles reading through a lot of the reported working PM posts, is the use of the latest Intel Power Gadget. This version [v3.7.0] is only able to report the CPU Clock speed averages.

For example. This is what I can see If i load up Intel App v3.7.0 (Settings@150ms SUR + @150ms SR)
3-7-0-150ms-150ms-.png
Could be seen as PM working ?

Now if i swish back to v3.5.5 which displays realtime CPU clock speeds [Settings@150ms SUR + @150ms SR]
150ms-150ms.png
Confirms PM is not working on the same config. It also now matches whats reported on HWMonitor.

If you still have access to your Haswell System. I would be curious if you could post the results of the Intel Power Gadget at the version and settings i mentioned above.

Starting to lose hope with this system of mine as no matter what i throw at it, nothing seems to get it to play ball.

Probably the last option might just be to switch to a new boot loader like OpenCore

Attachments

• Hacktool_AppleIntelInfo.txt
    12.2 KB · Views: 25
  • RegReport.ioreg
    5.1 MB · Views: 26
  • DSDT.aml
    67.1 KB · Views: 35
  • config.plist
    8.2 KB · Views: 27
This screenshot shows the power states available to your CPU (taken from your Hackintool_AppleIntelInfo.txt file.
Screenshot 2023-01-01 at 22.58.54.png CPU Power States, many more than you reported.

I have just now run through the CPU Power Management guide linked below.

I have generated an SSDT.aml for power management on my i7-4790K, Asus Z97-K, RX580 system, iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS, running macOS Ventura 13.1.

A copy of the SSDT.aml is attached below.

Screenshot 2023-01-02 at 00.11.25.png
The screenshot above is a sample of the Intel Power Gadget output v 3.7.0 with the new SSDT.aml table installed, in place of the SSDT-PLUG.aml. I would say that CPU Power Management was working.

Looking in my system IOReg, it shows all the expected attributes for CPU Power Management working.

Screenshot 2023-01-02 at 00.18.54.png CPU0 - X86PlatformPlugin etc. shown

Haven't got a copy of the AppleIntelInfo.dat yet, as I need to disable SIP and Reboot the system, which I am loathe to do at this time.

You can build your own SSDT.aml table or try using the one attached to this post.

Attachments

• SSDT.aml.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 30
Back