Contribute
Register

macOS Native CPU/IGPU Power Management

@toleda, @pastrychef, hi, in addition to my post above, I've added DropOEM/NO, Generate/CStates/NO, Generate/PStates/NO to my config file and tried but it was the same. Then digging in this thread showed me ssdt_lpcb-9series.aml needed for OS to load AppleLPC, it wasn't loaded before, so I renamed the file as SSDT-LPCB.aml and copied it to patched folder, after restart IOReg shows that AppleLPC is loaded now. X86PlatformPlugin with 32 PStates and X86PlatformShim were already loaded with just PluginType=Yes (without DropOEM and C/PStates/No entries).

I see 800MHz in a split second once in awhile when the OS is idle but as I already mentioned it keeps jumping up and down. Is it normal?

If it is normal, then maybe I don't need extra items (DropOem, C/Pstates) in config file as well as SSDT-LPCB.aml file? Because the results are the same even if AppleLCP loaded or not.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Only PluginType=Yes, AppleLPC not loaded.
IPG.png

PluginType=Yes along with DropOem, C/Pstates, SSDT-LPCB.aml therefore AppleLPC loaded.
IPGnew.png

I see 800MHz in a split second once in awhile when the OS is idle but as I already mentioned it keeps jumping up and down. Is it normal?

Yes. It's normal. Your system is never idle for long. Just open Activity Monitor and you will see that the system is always doing stuff even when you don't touch the keyboard or mouse.

Yes. It's normal. Your system is never idle for long. Just open Activity Monitor and you will see that the system is always doing stuff even when you don't touch the keyboard or mouse.
So, should I clean up the latest changes I applied (delete DropOem/NO, C/Pstates/NO and SSDT-LPCB.aml)? Without SSDT-LPCB.aml AppleLPC is not loaded, is it ok it is not loaded?

Thanks!

So, should I clean up the latest changes I applied (delete DropOem/NO, C/Pstates/NO and SSDT-LPCB.aml)? Without SSDT-LPCB.aml AppleLPC is not loaded, is it ok it is not loaded?

Thanks!

I don't know about Z97... I never had one... On Z170-Z390, I've never needed to DropOEM, generate C or P-States, or the SSDT.

I don't know about Z97... I never had one... On Z170-Z390, I've never needed to DropOEM, generate C or P-States, or the SSDT.
Is AppleLPC loaded in your case without any of them?

Is AppleLPC loaded in your case without any of them?

No, but it isn't loaded on real, recent vintage iMacs either.

Here is the IORegistryExplorer output from a real iMac17,1:
Screen Shot 2020-03-04 at 10.23.16 PM.png

Here is the IORegistryExplorer output from my hack:
Screen Shot 2020-03-04 at 10.23.56 PM.png

Last edited:
No, but it isn't loaded on real, recent vintage iMacs either.
My final question, I have iMac15,1 SMBIOS. Is this considered as "vintage" iMac as well? So, I'm fine without AppleLPC on my iMac15,1 hack?

Thanks!

My final question, I have iMac15,1 SMBIOS. Is this considered as "vintage" iMac as well? So, I'm fine without AppleLPC on my iMac15,1 hack?

Thanks!

I don't know... I've never looked at the ioreg of a real iMac15,1.

If you are seeing all the power states of your CPU, you should be fine.

I don't know... I've never looked at the ioreg of a real iMac15,1.

If you are seeing all the power states of your CPU, you should be fine.
Yes, there is no issue seeing all PStates but someone with similar h/w mentioned freq spikes and when I check my freqs I realized I have the spikes as well then I wanted to dig to make sure PM is working and tried to fix it. That's what I'm after. With the extra config file items and SSDT, I still have spikes, then it's either PM is working and this is the behavior of Haswell CPUs under hackOS or PM is partially working (IOReg confirmes loaded X86PlatformPlugin w/ 32 PStates and X86PlatformShim) and I need to find out what is causing the spikes.

Anyways, thanks for all your answers, much appreciated!

Ps: Last 2 versions of IPG doesn't show current CPU freq as it can be seen from my earlier IPG screenshots. Where can I find IPG version that shows current clock?

Yes, there is no issue seeing all PStates but someone with similar h/w mentioned freq spikes and when I check my freqs I realized I have the spikes as well then I wanted to dig to make sure PM is working and tried to fix it. That's what I'm after. With the extra config file items and SSDT, I still have spikes, then it's either PM is working and this is the behavior of Haswell CPUs under hackOS or PM is partially working (IOReg confirmes loaded X86PlatformPlugin w/ 32 PStates and X86PlatformShim) and I need to find out what is causing the spikes.

Anyways, thanks for all your answers, much appreciated!

Ps: Last 2 versions of IPG doesn't show current CPU freq as it can be seen from my earlier IPG screenshots. Where can I find IPG version that shows current clock?

CPU spikes are normal. You will never see the CPU sitting at 800MHz for long. You would have to manually terminate a ton of macOS services. Even then, most would probably restart on its own anyway.

The latest Intel Power Gadget works for me. I downloaded it a few days ago from the Intel site.

Back