Contribute
Register

macOS Native CPU/IGPU Power Management

System Definition/macpro6,1: socket LGA 2011 only
Broadwell/5xxx - frequency vectors required
GitHub - Piker-Alpha/freqVectorsEdit.sh
freqVectorsEdit.sh shows me a whole bunch of possible choices. how do i know which one i need?

Regarding this instruction

GPU: All Systems/CLOVER/config.plist/ACPI/DSDT/Patches/Item 0/Intel GPU PM- Rename GFX0 to IGPU

Your instructions imply to add the 'rename GFX0 to IGPU' only, yet your attached plist contains two different patches. Is it necessary to copy both the 'GFX0 to IGPU' and 'PEGP to GFX0' patches, or either one? I am using a Radeon VII as primary gpu but have the igpu enabled in bios.

Last edited:
Regarding this instruction

GPU: All Systems/CLOVER/config.plist/ACPI/DSDT/Patches/Item 0/Intel GPU PM- Rename GFX0 to IGPU

Your instructions imply to add the 'rename GFX0 to IGPU' only, yet your attached plist contains two different patches. Is it necessary to copy both the 'GFX0 to IGPU' and 'PEGP to GFX0' patches, or either one? I am using a Radeon VII as primary gpu but have the igpu enabled in bios.

To add to this question, I using WEG and Lilu for my rx580, and it supposed that WEG is in charge of that renames I use the HD630 as headless.

and the audio of my system is from the MB, not the display.

so in that scenario still has to made the renames and install the config-audio_cloverHDMI+.plist ?

When I used iMac19,1, the CPU never throttled down to 800MHz. When I use iMacPro1,1, it does.

Sorry to Necropost but yes, even my 9600k with iMac19,1 doesn't throttle to 0,8. With iMacPro1,1 all the states are up and running well... Even my rx590 behaves sensibly better, with less power drain and idle clocks. Strange right?

EDIT: It seems that the iMac19,1 SMBIOS has no problem now, maybe the cp states are injected in the Os thanks to the previous SMBIOS change.

Last edited:

a question about this step. I have an i7-7700k, and a RTX 580. the system definition that im using is iMac 18.3. and I using lilu+ WEG. so using them it suppose that any change or rename to the GPU it will be done automatically. is this necessary?

I ask because checking the hacking tool now (Native CPU PM work) the platform-id appear to be: 0x59120003, instead of 0x59120000. the one that finish with 3 defines my system as "mobile", like a macbook so I read I could cause problems.

I facing some strange things, like reading a book pdf in preview, and the texts after appear in screen it takes 1 second or less to clarify in the screen. so maybe it suggest to be a problem with headless configuration.

so that's why I ask if this part is necessary. or can I change the platform id making the patch by using the patch mode in Hackintool ?

I have a question too. My CPU PM is working, I'm using dGPU with iGPU in headless mode. dGPU PM is working as well. When I check from Intel Power Gadget iGPU's freq is always 1.2Ghz. For the systems that use iGPU in headless mode, iGPU PM is required? or Having it done with the rename have any benefits?

@Ennio1985 I see you have iGPU in headless mode too. Have you done the rename? Did it make any difference? Worth trying?

Thanks!

I have a question too. My CPU PM is working, I'm using dGPU with iGPU in headless mode. dGPU PM is working as well. When I check from Intel Power Gadget iGPU's freq is always 1.2Ghz. For the systems that use iGPU in headless mode, iGPU PM is required? or Having it done with the rename have any benefits?

@Ennio1985 I see you have iGPU in headless mode too. Have you done the rename? Did it make any difference? Worth trying?

Thanks!
well the difference is that when I applied the CPU Native PW change my platform id to mobile, so I made the patch using hacking tool and then recognize the correct platform-id and I see a little improvement in the score in Geekbench

well the difference is that when I applied the CPU Native PW change my platform id to mobile, so I made the patch using hacking tool and then recognize the correct platform-id and I see a little improvement in the score in Geekbench
I just checked the thread and found an answer for a similar case from toleda. So, iGPU PM is not required for us.

I have a Z97 setup with 4790K + 1060 GTX + headless iGPU using SMBIOS 15,1.
Does this guide apply for me? (I have tried but iGPU always has fixed frequency of 1,25 ghz and only one pstate)

Is there anything I can do for iGPU, or should I leave it as is. (1,25Ghz all the time)
CPU, yes
IGPU, no

1.25 GHz is native for AirPlay Mirroring (Intel Quick Synch) support, nothing to do

Hi, my CPU PM seems working. SMBIOS exactly matches with the CPU I have, iMac15,1 i5-4690 (can be confirmed from everymac), set config.plist/ACPI/SSDT/Generate/PluginType=YES and PM is confirmed from IOReg, CPU0@0/plugin-type=1 and 32 CPUPStates under X86PlatformPlugin. I also see 800MHz for a split second when it's idle. CPU usage and freq seems ok with iStat Menus.

The issue is CPU freq is up and down from 0.8 to 3.9GHz all the time. I just left the system idle for 10 mins or so and activated log in latest version of IPG. Within 1 second, it goes 800MHz, 2300MHz, 1100MHz, 3100MHz while utilization is goes 0 to 20%. IPG no longer shows current freq but in the log I think the first column is current one called CPU Frequency_0. That is where I got the data I wrote above. Another odd thing is CPU Min Freq_0 shows 800 and 700MHz keeps changing.

While in idle 3rd party processes working in the background are:
  • iStat
  • LuLu
  • AdGuard Safari (Safari or any other browsers weren't running)
  • TimeMachine (not sure if it was running, ext hdd is plugged in and it runs in every hour)
  • WireGuard (not active)
  • Adobe Desktop Service (and some other processes belong to Adobe)
Is it normal for freq goes up and down all the time?

I have clean macOS with zero alien kexts/config in the system. Everything comes from clover/efi/kext/other. So I have SIP enabled. I don't have any DSDT file, I have only SSDT-EC in order to run Catalina. I already configured USB ports with USBports.kext.

PS: I don't have these items in the config file. Might be related?
  • DropOEM/NO
  • Generate/CStates/NO
  • Generate/PStates/NO

Thanks!

Is there any way to get this working with 10th gen processors yet? I have a 10980xe.

OR is there a way I can help to get it to work?

Thanks

Back