Contribute
Register

macOS Native CPU/IGPU Power Management

Update: After leaving my system alone for a few hours, the CPU is now running better with XCPM; all the way down to 0.8GHz! No idea what could've changed, though. System was idle during my testing.

I'm having a problem(?) with this power management. For some reason, it causes my CPU to run at max more often with XCPM than without. I also have more power states without it. I don't know if it's something that needs fixing, though. I have verified that IOReg does contain the CPU power states when XCPM is loaded (in X86PlatformPlugin) and doesn't when not loaded.

Sierra 10.12.6
Z170XP-SLI motherboard version F21
CPU 7700K
EVGA 1080

You should not expect power management to work correctly with ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.
Must inject plugin-type=1 to use X86PlatformPlugin.kext

You should not expect power management to work correctly with ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.
Must inject plugin-type=1 to use X86PlatformPlugin.kext
You mention you must inject plugin-type=1 to use X86PlatformPlugin.kext, I just have to install SSDT-XCPM.aml to EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched and remove my existing SSDT.aml? or is there something else I missed? In System Report in the loaded extensions I have ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin showing up as 'Yes' I also have X86PlatformPlugin showing up as 'Yes' too

You mention you must inject plugin-type=1 to use X86PlatformPlugin.kext, I just have to install SSDT-XCPM.aml to EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched and remove my existing SSDT.aml? or is there something else I missed? In System Report in the loaded extensions I have ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin showing up as 'Yes' I also have X86PlatformPlugin showing up as 'Yes' too

You can see what PM kext is actually starting by looking at ioreg.

How can I get this working for a Xeon Haswell-E?

Obviously I have googled or I wouldn't have asked. There are other, older, outdated methods that let's it kinda work. But your method is better so I was wondering if it's possible to get it to work with Haswell-E by modifying a file or something.

Pretty on topic, if you ask me.

Thanks for the suggestion though I'll try googling again!

Hey, might there be any chance the CPU can run natively upon setting up Clover with Multibeast? Sleep doesn't work, but the widget's readings indicate stepping's active. The clock goes from less than 1 GHz when idle to the unit's design maximum of about 3.6 GHz while performing resource-intensive tasks.

There are other, older, outdated methods
Outdated method? Has the architecture of your installed processor changed?
macOS native PM supports the architectures noted in Post #1/Supported CPU/IGPU
Start a new thread for Haswell-E PM.

Problem reporting:

I noticed that my Intel HD4600 does not change power and it's stuck at 0.42 GHz.

I am also using Airplay with Intel HD4600 and it's working. I follow Toleda's instructions on this link.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/amd-nvidia-primary-display-with-airplay-mirroring.118662/

I am using the following on Sierra 10.12.6:

Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
Intel 4790K ( its not overclock) load optimized default on bios.
EVGA GTX 770 using as primary.

DSDT was patch using PJALM. LPC device-id injection for Series 9 was used on this patch but also did use ssdt_lpcb.9 series zip including Pike Alpha frequency vector option 5 imac 14.2.

I have no problem with sleep and temps are within normal range.

I am not quick sure if Intel Quick synch is functioning.

Attachments

• configuration.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 61
  • Screen Shot 2017-08-03 at 9.30.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-03 at 9.30.27 AM.png
    89.9 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Back