Contribute
Register

macOS Monterey Release Date: Monday October 25

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will hang back updating to Monterey until 12.3 to 12.4.

I see no reason to jump early on this, as there are very few new features in Monterey, at least none that I need or will use and as with Big Sur many of the new features are only going to work with Apple Silicon based Mac's.

Every new release of MacOS over the last 10 years has come with bugs/issues.
So I always tend to wait until Apple sorts out the mess before updating.

Cheers
Jay

Running the latest RC2 on OpenCore 0.7.4. Loving it!

Screen Shot 2021-10-21 at 9.23.01 PM.png

I see no reason to jump early on this, as there are very few new features in Monterey, at least none that I need or will use and as with Big Sur many of the new features are only going to work with Apple Silicon based Mac's.
Yet veteran Mac users missed the ‘no new feature’ version the most.

I think ill update my MBP 2017 with monterey, after a few days, once the early adopters report any major issues, Ill stick with Big Sur on my hack desktop as ill be upgrading the motherboard, CPU and SSD's in December. And once i see if theres any stable builds with the same motherboard by then (Gigabyte Z490-UD) as im pretty new to opencore. and still feeling my way. Will also be going to win 11 then in a dual boot config. hopefully this will be fine for a year or so untill i go all apple silicon.

Well i updated a couple of kexts (apple ALC and whatevergreen) checked my config file, updated opencore from 0.7.3 to 0.7.4, tested it was still booting fine. Updated my desktop to Big Sur 11.6.1, as i stated in earlier post, im doing a MoBo, CPU and SSD swap in Dec. so ill stick to this for now. But I updated my Genuine MBP 2017 to Monterey this morning. Other than a couple of small utility type apps, everything is working, well the apps I need, such as Photoshop, Office 2021 etc. I am sure the developers of those buggy apps will get round to fixing the issues soon enough. I havent used any of the Betas. And cant see that much of a difference to Big Sur visually. but ive only spent a hour or so looking over it.

If anyone has a Gigabyte Z490 UD (not the AC version) running stable with Monterey. id be gratefull for any advice on the setup, as this is the board im buying along with a 10850k and either a pair of 970 Evo's or WD SN570 (if they work in mac os, reports on there speed in testing is great)

@Cerberus73 See here when considering NVMe SSD options. Also, I think you meant SN750? I use the SN750's with my rig here and I love them.

@Cerberus73 See here when considering NVMe SSD options. Also, I think you meant SN750? I use the SN750's with my rig here and I love them.
I too have been booting off of a 500GB WD SN750 since Catalina, through Big Sur, and now with Monterey on my Kaby Lake-based rig and haven't had a single issue in doing so. It helps to have NVMeFix.kext in my OpenCore 0.7.5 extensions.

@Cerberus73 Gotta love a product manager who thinks that having SN570 and SN750 is a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back