Contribute
Register

macOS Mojave To Be Released September 24, 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really interesting thread, this one, as I'm not a beta-tester.

A few things have occurred to me while reading it:

APFS - if this is now mandatory in Mojave, does this mean it will now install for Hard-Drives as well as SSDs? Pointless question I guess because Mojave specs-in Mac Minis etc. So have Apple managed to get rid of the speed degradation APFS causes over HFS?

I'm guessing quite a lot of software will either need updating or go under in Mojave. The ability to run 32-bit programs has finally gone, I take it? The number of warnings I currently get indicates I'm going to have to replace a lot of software.

Trim - I would like to know the advantages of using the macOS version, given that most modern SSDs now have Trim embedded in their firmware. Once I learned my own SSDs had garbage collection and Trim on board, I disabled macOS Trim. No problems so far and it's been a while ...

:)

I'm guessing quite a lot of software will either need updating or go under in Mojave. The ability to run 32-bit programs has finally gone, I take it? The number of warnings I currently get indicates I'm going to have to replace a lot of software.
You can always keep at least one of your older builds on Sierra or High Sierra to run the 32 bit software. I've still got my original Z68 system on Mavericks.

You can always keep at least one of your older builds on Sierra or High Sierra to run the 32 bit software. I've still got my original Z68 system on Mavericks.

It's a good idea. I've got a previous 120GB SSD with Sierra installed in an eSATA caddy, so can swap around as I need.

You are wrong. Mojave will be the last Apple OS still supporting 32-bit apps. So you have 1 more year....

Mojave will be the last Apple OS still supporting 32-bit apps.
You may be able to run them on Mojave, but not very well. 32 bit apps without Metal graphics acceleration support will be "compromised" as Apple says in their support page statement.

"Apple began the transition to 64-bit hardware and software technology for Mac over a decade ago, and is working with developers to transition their apps to 64-bit. At our Worldwide Developers Conference in 2017, Apple informed developers that macOS High Sierra would be the last version of macOS to run 32-bit apps without compromise."

Here's the full article:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208436

You are wrong. Mojave will be the last Apple OS still supporting 32-bit apps. So you have 1 more year....

Thanks for clarifying that. As I said I was only guessing, given all the hints we've had so far. I am not an active beta tester but I like to hear about developments.

Certainly High Sierra has been popping-up a lot of warnings. I even get them running old Windows programs in Codeweaver's Crossover (which surprised me).

As @trs96 points out, Apple seems to have put another blockade in place for 32-bit software, which will cripple even more useful applications going forward.

Time will tell if those applications I've been receiving warnings about are the ones affected...

Last edited:
Thanks for clarifying that. As I said I was only guessing, given all the hints we've had so far. I am not an active beta tester but I like to hear about developments.

Certainly High Sierra has been popping-up a lot of warnings. I even get them running old Windows programs in Codeweaver's Crossover (which surprised me).

As @trs96 points out, Apple seems to have put another blockade in place for 32-bit software, which will cripple even more useful applications going forward.

Time will tell if those applications I've been receiving warnings about are the ones affected...

New phones even have 64bit tech so 32bit is going to be like an old 8track tape, or cassette, or for the youngest members CDs?

New phones even have 64bit tech so 32bit is going to be like an old 8track tape, or cassette, or for the youngest members CDs?

Ah! 8Track cassettes... That brought back memories! :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back