Contribute
Register

macOS Mojave is Now Available on the Mac App Store

Status
Not open for further replies.
Updated using the latest Clover bootloader, installed Mojave without incident. But I'm a bit confused. For those of you running AMD GPUs have you found that you have had to turn on the iGPU to be able to export H.264? My usual config for years has been boot from PCIe slot with AMD GPU. But as of High Sierra. H.264 export stopped working. I'm running 18,3 SIMBIOS. I have to have both Inject Intel and RadeonDeInit set in config.plist as well as Intelfix and watevergreen in the Other folder.

Interestingly, I just tried a Sierra backup and two things of interest, 1) FCPX will export H.264 with the iGPU turned off but the render is 2X slower, 2) Activity Monitor shows the four cores only maxing out and my CPU fan goes to top speed and Intel Power Gadget shows I'm hitting my 5 GHz overclock and temps running 80 degrees.

Running on Mojave, I need to use the same High Sierra setup with the iGPU on. Curiously, Activity Monitor shows that the cores and threads are now being used, clock does not go over 3.2, the fan is quiet, CPU temp is around 40 degrees yet the export is about 2x faster. I'm not certain QuickSync is enabled.

So, I guess the conclusion is that I should just leave well enough alone and be happy it works. Any insights? Is this bizarre or normal? Can I get even better performance if I can get the CPU to work harder? Thanks.

If your application is using intel quicksync to render your h.264, the igpu MUST be enabled. If you don’t enable your igpu, quicksync will not work.

@Justcurious1,

@muchmore is correct in saying that you must have the IGPU enabled in order to use quicksync, the best way to achieve this on PC that has a DGPU as the primary is to use a 'headless' ig-platform-id for the IGPU. You need to to enable the IGPU in the BIOS but set your DGPU as the default/primary, @toleda covers the 'headless' IGPU id's in his Airplay guide. :-

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/amd-nvidia-primary-display-with-airplay-mirroring.118662/

You don't need to follow that guide , you just need the correct 'headless' ig-platform-id from the settings section of that guide and inject it as a device property in clover along with the correct device-id which HDPatcher can genearte for you if you dont know it, WhatEverGreen will do the rest for you.

See this guide for more info on using HDPatcher and WhatEverGreen with IGPU :-

An iDiot's Guide To Lilu and its Plug-ins

But substitute the 'headless' ig-platform-id in place of the default one for your IGPU.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited by a moderator:
View media item 191000
Updated without any issues in my Lenovo G400s Touch, from 10.13.6
Updated Clover, apfs.efi, and Injected FakeSMC.kext.
Had to reinstall my Wifi drivers.

Have a fully working Mojave install on my Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH. I never questioned this before but do I need FakeSMC and IntelMausiEthernet in Clover/kexts/other/ if I have them in /Library/Extensions. Trying to streamline and remove any unnecessary kexts, etc., if I can.

download the latest build of clover from sourceforge and select options for your build, and then install.
you can also get the updater to your desktop using the update feature in clover configurator.

You don´t need the "latest clover build" for Mojave. Use the RehabMan's latest clover fork (4658) which is less cumbersome than the official Clover (that might break things up). I used 4658 and updated to Mojave without any issue. Just make sure to select the right options in Clover to patch either your UEFI or legacy boot. Somebody already shared the actual link before on this thread for that Clover fork as well as what few kexts you would actually need to select.

Install on NUC went fine , just had to install Audio everything else is working fine.

Will wait for Nvidia driver before doing mainbox.

Not sure if I like APFS tho.

Hello everybody.
I was able to install macOS Mojave in my desktops computers.
If someone needs my config.plist or my kexts, please let me know.
Work: GA-Z97X-GAMING 3 | i7 4790 | HD 4600
Home: GA-Z270X-GAMING 5 | i7 7700K | RX 580 8GB

Regards, Fernando.

Have a fully working Mojave install on my Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH. I never questioned this before but do I need FakeSMC and IntelMausiEthernet in Clover/kexts/other/ if I have them in /Library/Extensions. Trying to streamline and remove any unnecessary kexts, etc., if I can.
I have them in /Library/Extensions/ folder only w/o any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back