Contribute
Register

macOS Mojave is Now Available on the Mac App Store

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see some people here saying they don't "trust" APFS and are going through increasingly convoluted processes to continue using a 20 year old file system that isn't officially supported under the latest OS. What, exactly, is not "trusted" about it? I'm having difficulties finding any verifiable cases of any data loss or other filesystem issues on any revision of APFS even remotely associated with Mojave. Back in the version that released with High Sierra, Mike Bombich (of CCC fame) found a single bug with DiskImagesHelper that related to handling of sparse images (and only specifically triggered in odd edge cases, and only specifically when moving data into a sparse image), but that bug was reported and fixed quite some time ago. I guess I'm just curious why people are going so far out of their way to avoid using what Apple is extremely strongly recommending all macOS users use.

My only issue with APFS is the slow boot time when TRIM is enabled. I have a samsung 960 EVO nVME SSD and it takes 2x time to boot than from a standard HFS+ HDD. Trim on NVMe is different (not affected by trimforce) than SATA TRIM. After the boot process it's blazing fast, the slowness is only at the boot phase.

"I think there may be a problem with TRIM and non-Apple SSDs, and there are even reports of problems with Apple SSDs [and likely related to TRIM]" - see this thread.

Last edited:
Have you tried / had any luck with Lilu/AppleALC (https://github.com/acidanthera/AppleALC) instead?

I have not, as Tolda's script has always done the trick for me. I'll take a look at this as soon as I am able. Given all the reports of everything working, I made the mistake of upgrading just before it was time to put the kids to sleep. Probably won't be able to get to it until tomorrow... thanks!

my computer nvidia graphics card works !!!!

A small python script for downloading NVIDIA Web Drivers based on either the current OS build version - or a selected build version.

Can also patch the currently installed web drivers, as well as web driver install packages.

To install, do the following one line at a time in Terminal:

git clone https://github.com/corpnewt/Web-Driver-Toolkit
cd Web-Driver-Toolkit
chmod +x Run.command

Then run with either ./Run.command or by double-clicking Run.command

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla 2018-09-25 a las 16.43.47.png
    Captura de pantalla 2018-09-25 a las 16.43.47.png
    17.2 KB · Views: 214
My only issue with APFS is the slow boot time when TRIM is enabled. I have a samsung 960 EVO nVME SSD and it takes 2x time to boot than from a standard HFS+ HDD. Trim on NVMe is different (not affected by trimforce) than SATA TRIM. After the boot process it's blazing fast, the slowness is only at the boot phase.

Fair enough, I can see that being an issue if you have that affected hardware and boot from completely off often. I was scared there was some horrible data integrity issue I was somehow not finding, heh :thumbup:

I had 2 of my machines stuck at the install bar even with a new clover version (latest rehabman and latest official). verbose output at that point was "unsupported CPU, unsupported PCH". The way I got around this was not updating directly but updating from an usb installmedia instead. Desktop has no issues with Audio / USB3. Still need to test my laptops.

Forgot to add that I also swapped in the new apfs file posted on the first page of this thread, in my EFI folder. Not sure if that had any influence on the process, but it seemed to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back