Contribute
Register

macOS Mojave is Now Available on the Mac App Store

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lost my Wi-Fi after update... TL-WDN4800 doesn't recognized anymore

EDIT: also seems like usb port limit from 10.13.6 doesn't works in 10.14

I also have the same WiFi card, also experiencing this issue. Someone brought up a potential solution earlier in this thread (still trying to test this myself):

I did some research and found out Apple did remove Wi-Fi/Bluetooth support for some Atheros cards AR92xx/93xx in Mojave.

I also found out you can get it back with a little easy trick:
  1. On High Sierra 10.13.6, go to System > Library > Extensions > IO80211Familly.kext > Contents > Plugins
  2. Copy AirPortAtheros40.kext and install it in L/E of Mojave drive (make sure you use KextBeast for installation).
  3. Rebuild kext caches with terminal - sudo kextcache -i /
In my case I didn't even have reboot. Wi-Fi works again immediately after kext rebuild.

I guess I'll hold out on the BCM94331CD/BCM94360CD some other time.

Only issue now is that the fans on my Vega 56 likes to rev up suddenly and not go down. I have to either restart or sleep to get it quiet again.

I'm giving this a shot by extracting the relevant kext from a High Sierra VM that I happen to have on hand.

What should be Clover config and kext for Mojave? My specs:

• GA-H87M-D3H
  • Haswell i5 3.1MHZ
  • 4600/NVIDIA GTX750ti
  • SSD 480gb

- I am on latest Clover but I still have OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi instead of AptioMemoryFix-64.efi. I had trouble in the past on my system (MacOSX 10.13.6, Asus Rampage V Extreme, i7-5960, NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, Samsung 970Pro NVME) with AptioMemoryFix-64 (clover not showing or slow, booting stalling, having to power-off and wait, etc). Lately I found out that HFSPlus.efi did not allow Clover work when installed on my NVME (clover menu froze) so I had to move to VBoxHfs-64.efi.
- Like most of us, I am waiting for the NVidia Web Drivers before trying to upgrade.
- I would like to keep HFS+ if possible - I don't trust APFS yet.

@Robbish
Is disabling SIP mandatory ?

@Robbish
Is disabling SIP mandatory ?

maybe not these days, I have SIP set to Partially Disabled probably out of habit because when SIP was first introduced to us and the next new macOS install came around, setting SIP like this ensured that Third Party Unsigned Apps and Kexts loaded so If SIP already Enabled give you no issues then keep it like that ;)

It also broke my Wi-Fi. I was using a $20 Fenvi PCI-e Wi-Fi card I bought off Amazon. It has an Atheros chipset (not sure the exact model). It was working out of the box with no additional kexts or patches since Sierra.

Not sure if Apple have disabled support for it in Mojave. I'm not going to bother attempting to get it fixed, but just go out and buy an BCM94331CD which comes directly from the 2012 iMacs + PCI-e adapter. Hopefully that would give me better and more reliable Wi-Fi + Bluetooth.

Still, let me know if you find any fix for this, as I'd love to be able to use the Atheros until I get the Broadcom.

I did some research and found out Apple did remove Wi-Fi/Bluetooth support for some Atheros cards AR92xx/93xx in Mojave.

I also found out you can get it back with a little easy trick:
  1. On High Sierra 10.13.6, go to System > Library > Extensions > IO80211Familly.kext > Contents > Plugins
  2. Copy AirPortAtheros40.kext and install it in L/E of Mojave drive (make sure you use KextBeast for installation).
  3. Rebuild kext caches with terminal - sudo kextcache -i /
In my case I didn't even have reboot. Wi-Fi works again immediately after kext rebuild.

I guess I'll hold out on the BCM94331CD/BCM94360CD some other time.

Only issue now is that the fans on my Vega 56 likes to rev up suddenly and not go down. I have to either restart or sleep to get it quiet again.

Lost my Wi-Fi after update... TL-WDN4800 doesn't recognized anymore

EDIT: also seems like usb port limit from 10.13.6 doesn't works in 10.14

I'm just writing to confirm that this method to restore support for my AR9380 (TP-LINK TL-WDN4800) worked. Copied kext, placed on desktop. Ran KextBeast, which installed to /S/L/E (not just /L/E). WiFi did not work, however, until after a reboot in my case (rebuilding cache was not enough).

Before I did that, I also tried having the kext injected via Clover instead of installed via KextBeast; that did not fix the problem.

I'm kinda new around here but took a good scour at the rules and found nothing (I think) that would prohibit me from sharing the High Sierra kext, so it's uploaded here for others' convenience. Naturally if a mod feels that this is not acceptable, feel free to remove the attachment.

Attachments

• AirPortAtheros40.kext.zip
    653.4 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
@btreex86,

Can you elaborate on where you got this release date for the updated Nvidia WebDrivers, I've been monitoring the Nvidia developer and support forums and there is no mention of a updated WebDriver with Metal 2 support in the near future.

Cheers
Jay
I can't link to external forums here but I've seen many guys reporting that they've gotten their WebDrivers two days after High Sierra release.

September 27-28? :O OMG. Is there way to force native display resolution with default graphics driver? Because I have 1280x1024 set and my eyes hurts... :p
Install Csm-Video UEFI64 bit driver (may be misspelled but it's something like that) you'll get native resolution...

I see some people here saying they don't "trust" APFS and are going through increasingly convoluted processes to continue using a 20 year old file system that isn't officially supported under the latest OS. What, exactly, is not "trusted" about it? I'm having difficulties finding any verifiable cases of any data loss or other filesystem issues on any revision of APFS even remotely associated with Mojave. Back in the version that released with High Sierra, Mike Bombich (of CCC fame) found a single bug with DiskImagesHelper that related to handling of sparse images (and only specifically triggered in odd edge cases, and only specifically when moving data into a sparse image), but that bug was reported and fixed quite some time ago. I guess I'm just curious why people are going so far out of their way to avoid using what Apple is extremely strongly recommending all macOS users use.

I’m trying to update from app store.
I updated Clover, lilu, whatevergreen, applealc and apfs.efi .
Now when i boot the system or the installation i get stacked here:
image.jpg

I'm just writing to confirm that this method to restore support for my AR9380 (TP-LINK TL-WDN4800) worked. Copied kext, placed on desktop. Ran KextBeast, which installed to /S/L/E (not just /L/E). WiFi did not work, however, until after a reboot in my case (rebuilding cache was not enough).

Before I did that, I also tried having the kext injected via Clover instead of installed via KextBeast; that did not fix the problem.

I'm kinda new around here but took a good scour at the rules and found nothing (I think) that would prohibit me from sharing the High Sierra kext, so it's uploaded here for others' convenience. Naturally if a mod feels that this is not acceptable, feel free to remove the attachment.

Regarding TP-LINK TL-WDN4800, right now i'm still on 10.13.6, i have these kext in S/L/E

IO80211Family.kext
IO80211FamilyV2.kext

And these Atheros40 Clover patches: (from al3xtjames)

Code:
<dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>Replace iMac12,2 with iMac13,2</string>
                <key>Disabled</key>
                <false/>
                <key>Find</key>
                <data>
                aU1hYzEyLDIK
                </data>
                <key>InfoPlistPatch</key>
                <false/>
                <key>Name</key>
                <string>com.apple.driver.AirPort.Atheros40</string>
                <key>Replace</key>
                <data>
                aU1hYzEzLDIK
                </data>
            </dict>
            <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>Change regdomain to US-FCC (1 of 2)</string>
                <key>Disabled</key>
                <false/>
                <key>Find</key>
                <data>
                g7sgCAAABnRk
                </data>
                <false/>
                <key>MatchOS</key>
                <string>10.12.x,10.13.x</string>
                <key>Name</key>
                <key>Replace</key>
                <data>
                g7sgCAAABus2
                </data>
            </dict>
            <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>Change regdomain to US-FCC (2 of 2)</string>
                <key>Disabled</key>
                <false/>
                <key>Find</key>
                <data>
                ZseDFgkAAEMAZrhDAA==
                </data>
                <false/>
                <key>Name</key>
                <key>Replace</key>
                <data>
                ZseDFgkAAAAAZrgAAA==
                </data>
            </dict>

Should i get rid of the patches?
And just add the AirPortAtheros40.kext to S/L/E of Mojave?
(or is there any updated patches...)

(For info, my board is Z77x-UD5H with SSDT Hotpatch SSDT-HACK.aml from VioletDragon:
https://github.com/VoiletDragon/Z77X-UD5H-Clover-Hotpatch-Patches
Not using DSDT).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back