Contribute
Register

macOS High Sierra To Be Released September 25, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great read, sums it up well. I'm thinking this APFS system will lead to a mandatory Cloud storage i.e. $$$$$$$$$ monthly access fees, and most users wont know what hit them for a few months and by then it will be too late to convert back to HFS+ or get your money back.
So what is the ultimate advantage to updating to High Sierra? Reading through all the forums here we can now add RX 580s and Vega GPUs without much grief or is that High Sierra only? I'm running on a 4790K system and have the components to move to a Z170 board with support for a newly purchased 7700K which should net about a 15% improvement, more if I win the silicon lottery. It's my video editing rig so I want all the benefits that Vega and OpenCL will provide. So is it Sierra or High Sierra? Thanks.

So what is the ultimate advantage to updating to High Sierra? Reading through all the forums here we can now add RX 580s and Vega GPUs without much grief or is that High Sierra only? I'm running on a 4790K system and have the components to move to a Z170 board with support for a newly purchased 7700K which should net about a 15% improvement, more if I win the silicon lottery. It's my video editing rig so I want all the benefits that Vega and OpenCL will provide. So is it Sierra or High Sierra? Thanks.

For Vega it only works in High Sierra, Sierra 12.6 added major support for the Polaris cards but in High Sierra the Polaris cards have HDMI and Displayport Audio.

Polaris in Sierra needs WhateverGreenkext and lilukext to run without IGPU/IGFX requirement. The same is true for High Sierra for Polaris cards but the Vega cards run without the WhateverGreen and lilukexts.

They do have ever increasing graphics compute capabilities, looking at Geekbench scores they are getting close to HD 530 scores on the iPhones.
That makes sense. Integrated graphics is not really the whole Intel desktop focus though, apart from those Broadwell chips a few years back.

Security, first of all. If all systems that run Sierra can run High Sierra, that means no updates for Sierra, since High Sierra is available. It was the same thing all the way between Mountain Lion and El Capitan, you were force to upgrade, in order to get security and performance updates.

You're stuck between a rock and a hard place there. FCPX and the MacOS, in general, will be faster under the RX 580 while Adobe Cloud will be faster using the Nvidia card. I'm running an R9 280X and I'm able to edit 4K video without issues on FCPX. Frankly, Adobe Cloud is optimized for Windows these days. It's a mess on the Mac.
Nonsense. I have been working with the Adobe Suite on my hack for years, and everything is running smooth. You do need a license so you can use the updates, but things work just great.

Good points, and with Apple using a Skylake X multi core chip for new iMac it means that the ARM is outgunned for at least a few years, they just can't match performance levels and that is something apple really needs to stay competitive against windows. If they can't keep up with speed and processing abilities they will lose the artsy crowd to windows.

The A11 chip in the new phones specs close to an i5, I'm betting soon , after the newest intel mac pros come out, they might be the last intel macs. Or damn close to it.
Not quite. the new iMac Pros are based on Intel Xeons - multicore (up to 18 real cores or 36 threads). Even the great A11 cannot match the Xeon performance - specially from the complete platform perspective in the future.

They could use A11's and later derivatives for MacBooks. They have already ported macOS to ARM architecture. See Pikeralpha's blog here regrading HomePODs.

Nonsense. I have been working with the adobe suite on my hack for years and everything is running smooth. You do need a license so you can use the updates, but things work just great.
Not complete nonsense. "mess" might be a bit strong. What he means by Adobe being a "mess" is that their s/w is not optimised for AMD GPU's (or more specifically, OpenCL). FCPX is optimised for AMD GPU's but not for Nvidia (CUDA based whose OpenCL is a mess).

Certain, real Macs do have Nvidia GPUs and for those models, Apple have bent the rules slightly and made their FCPX work "better" with specific libraries but that's no help for hackintoshes wishing to use the latest Nvidia GPU's.

I've tried using Adobe Pro on Nvidia 650Ti (ok, it's a cheap low end GPU) and it was great for 4K edits BUT FCPX was nearly useless with that GPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back