Contribute
Register

macOS High Sierra Public Beta 5 is Now Available

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Clover 4173 my installation went well, too.
Before I had several issues: osinstall.mpkg missing, firmware update, etc.

What does not work, though, is installing clover to the main hard drive - the installation fails.

I'm on a legacy system. Can anybody tell me how to get clover installed?

Interesting question, the new APFS system uses that partition I think so it may have to do with that.

When choosing the clover bootloader "customize" option after choosing disk unclick the top option "EFI booting only" and then select one of the lower options bootOAF in MBR. See pic. You may have to remove the clover boot loader in your EFI partition first.

Attachments

• Clover Legacy.png
    Clover Legacy.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 492
With Clover 4173 my installation went well, too.
Before I had several issues: osinstall.mpkg missing, firmware update, etc.

What does not work, though, is installing clover to the main hard drive - the installation fails.

I'm on a legacy system. Can anybody tell me how to get clover installed?
This was the easiest incremental update yet in the beta progression on an apfs disk with the caveat that I had to boot with a USB stick without the emuvariables64 kext on it:
- boot normal, update via App Store
- boot clover from USB stick with clover 4152 but without the emuvariables64 kext on it, select "macOs install from <disk>" (I gather that the upgrade process creates this temporary partition)
- get the installer GUI with progress bar (this is the GUI that immediately complains about osinstall.mpkg missing), let installer run
- reboot normally to working HS beta

APFS disks no longer have EFI partitions, so the newer Clovers won't install to the ESP on APFS disks, maybe you are on an APFS disk. Clover installs fine to the ESP for me on non-APFS disks. Regarding how to get clover installed on a legacy system, my main suggestion is to get it installed then copy the files over to wherever you want them. I have an EFI partition on my APFS disk because it was a Sierra install originally, so I installed Clover but it put the files in an EFI folder at the root of the disk so I opened Clover Configurator, mounted the EFI partition, and manually moved the files over (being careful of kexts and system configurations I'd set up).

I also, had to update clover, my pentium was getting flagged after update, changed to clover 4152 form 4114 and boom I was in. Struggled for a couple of hours trying every boot argument and ACPI setting available. If anyone is having issues update clover and use your old config.plist and kext folders, it took 2 minutes to fix problem.

I was under pressure, I just picked up a Radeon Vega 64 video card and wanted the latest drivers from High Sierra. It brought native Audio via HDMI and Displayport to the card. Only fix needed is the name, its AMD RX xxx, but thats an easy fix.

P.S. If you still have trouble check your main partition for EFI Backup folder. Remove old version of clover and config.plist if anything is changed. If you choose RC scripts when installing new clover if you run it twice it will reload your backup EFI folder. Just be sure to check that your config.plists match.

I had the same mindset regarding video and bought a XFX Radeon RX560 and spent 2 or 3 hours and could not get it to work? Mostly screen would go black and reboot. From my reading about High Sierra this AMD card should be OOB...

Since my Z170 system only has a NVidia 960 why wait for Web Drivers. Must be missing something

I had the same mindset regarding video and bought a XFX Radeon RX560 and spent 2 or 3 hours and could not get it to work? Mostly screen would go black and reboot. From my reading about High Sierra this AMD card should be OOB...

Since my Z170 system only has a NVidia 960 why wait for Web Drivers. Must be missing something
you need to install Lilu Kext and whatevergreen kext from what I have read.
while your card works OOB, it does boot to black screen as mentioned in tonymac's Radeon Guide.

The XFX RX 460 has had many reports of failed attempts to get it working. It may have a special XFX bios issue. Their Polaris 10 cards work OOB but their Polaris 11 models seem to fail in Hackintosh. Can you get another brand?

The XFX RX 460 has had many reports of failed attempts to get it working. It may have a special XFX bios issue. Their Polaris 10 cards work OOB but their Polaris 11 models seem to fail in Hackintosh. Can you get another brand?

Dangit... Thank You flexrac I did of course read before "leaping" and included the Lilu and Whatevergreen kexts in the other kext folder however, I went back to the Radeon Guide pages (as suggested) and it jumped out at me, duh! Watchout for XFX cards.

Then I came back to post thank you and Gigamaxx is giving the same reminder it was practically on the first page.
Thank You both... where is that sheepish emoji when I want it.

Dangit... Thank You flexrac I did of course read before "leaping" and included the Lilu and Whatevergreen kexts in the other kext folder however, I went back to the Radeon Guide pages (as suggested) and it jumped out at me, duh! Watchout for XFX cards.

Then I came back to post thank you and Gigamaxx is giving the same reminder it was practically on the first page.
Thank You both... where is that sheepish emoji when I want it.

You can try it, in Sierra 12.6 you will need to edit the info.plists to check if it works. In High Sierra it should not need any fixes, if it works.

You can try it, in Sierra 12.6 you will need to edit the info.plists to check if it works. In High Sierra it should not need any fixes, if it works.

Right or wrong already took it back. Got Asus from Amazon and may not get until next week because back ordered. There is a shortage right now, tried Newegg and out of stock and even Fry's only a couple and not what I wanted.

BTW Gigamaxx I did try it booting my Sierra 12.6 with the RX 560 and the ID was in the info.plist already. Must have been from last update however did not work for me in Sierra, similar problems.

I suspect we will see a lot more successful builds with AMD Video. My first couple of CustoMacs had Radeon cards.

I tried hacking the NVidia Web Drivers with some success but more to see if it would work

Thanks again...

nv_disable=1 boot flag fails to force my Nvidia discrete cards to boot into VESA mode; window server fails to start on beta 5 using nv_disable=1. This is a problem when doing updates on a 17,1 system that generates a black screen using vanilla video kexts.

Any one: Besides using Lilu+Nvfix-up kexts is there a way to get around the blaxk screen issue on a 17,1 profile? Historically, I'd just do nv_disable=1, boot, run agdpfix and reboot no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back