Contribute
Register

macOS High Sierra Public Beta 3 is Now Available

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 10.13 workaround bases on the 10.12.6 AppleGraphicsControl.kext, the 10.12.6 Web Driver and a patch of the NVDAStartupWeb.kext. For details see Section "Graphics Configuration" of my extended 10.13 macOS High Sierra Desktop Guide. By the way the workaround seems to enable full OpenGL and Metal support for Kepler and if I am not totally wrong also for Maxwell under 10.13. Pascal users have to live however with a somewhat sluggish interface and graphics performance although also pascal graphics cards are properly recognized and posses proper screen resolution and some basic video acceleration. No OpenGL and Metal support however for Pascal on 10.13 so far with this 10.12.6 WebDriver workaround!

Thanks, yes I tried but even though my 970 is recognized it is really buggy.. missing resolutions, glitches when resizing windows and so on. Not really a working system. Oh well.. at least i get to choose between 1920x1080 and 3840x2160 ;)

Reactions: kgp
Thanks, yes I tried but even though my 970 is recognized it is really buggy.. missing resolutions, glitches when resizing windows and so on. Not really a working system. Oh well.. at least i get to choose between 1920x1080 and 3840x2160 ;)

Well it seems that just the Kepler graphics cards have OpenGL and Metal support under 10.13 with the 10.12.6 Web Driver workaround. Your Maxwell behaves like my Pascal, with glitches when resizing or opening windows etc.

Last edited:
The 10.13 workaround bases on the 10.12.6 AppleGraphicsControl.kext, the 10.12.6 Web Driver and a patch of the NVDAStartupWeb.kext. For details see Section "Graphics Configuration" of my extended 10.13 macOS High Sierra Desktop Guide. By the way, the workaround seems to enable full OpenGL and Metal support just for Kepler graphics cards. Pascal and likely also Maxwell users have to live with proper screen resolution and basic video acceleration but laggy graphics interface. No OpenGL and Metal support for Pascal and Maxwell on 10.13 with this 10.12.6 WebDriver workaround!

We're still about 2 months away from High Sierra's official release, which is a long time in development phase.

WebDrivers will come. Historically nVidia doesn't release WebDrivers during the beta stage of the OS.

We're still about 2 months away from High Sierra's official release, which is a long time in development phase.

WebDrivers will come. Historically nVidia doesn't release WebDrivers during the beta stage of the OS.

But there was a Maxwell Web Driver for the macOS Sierra PBs and DPs or am I totally wrong? There was just no Pascal support never. If I remember correctly, usually Nvidia provides historically web drivers starting with DP3 or DP4...

Anyway, the answer was quite clear. There is an ongoing dispute between Apple and Nvidia concerning contracts, rights and marketing policies... Currently he was not able to say if there will be 10.13 macOS High Sierra web driver support at all.

Last edited:
The new high Sierra USB port raise patch doesn't work for the USB installer on Beta 3 for some USB ports. However relocating the installer USB stick to a different port allows the installation to proceed. The port raise patch does work on all ports however once beta 3 is installed. This is not a problem in Sierra.

What gives?

In any event, the installation goes great. Since Nvidia hasn't released beta drivers, I have Dual monitor support on Intel KBL 530 HD at 2560x1440. I had to apply a few patches for this to work since leaving the ports to the default Displayport mode in return causes the monitor to max out at a resolution below 1440p. iMessage is working! Sound works using voodoohda.kext.

NVME finally works natively (surprising move by Apple! Is this a nod to hackintosh users or is apple planning to support modular installations in the future?) my m.2 drive reads at 2200 MB/sec and writes at 1400 MB/sec. In a later test, I'll see if the system will boot from NVME.

Sleep doesn't work using native KBL Intel 530 graphics. and handoff using a gmyle USB 4.0 dongle doesn't work. Is there a way to make handoff work with 3rd party USB dongles?

Last edited:
dehjomz, thanks for the heads up re imessage! on a lark i tried it, and, indeed, it logs right in.

edit: worked once: after logging into iCloud, iMessage wont re authenticate...

Last edited:
PB2 worked fine, but PB3 will load only in safe mode. Getting errors related to com.apple.xpc
F/U 27Jul - put FakeSMC in 'Other' and re-installed PB3. This time, everything works fine. Post update removed FakeSMC from 'Other' (leaving it in /L/E and boots fine.

Last edited:
I updated yesterday PB2 to PB3 and now, it works perfectly. with PB2 I had issue in full screen safari, google chrome and Firefox. Now after update, no issue,every thing works fine. Screen Shot 2017-07-26 at 21.51.09.pngScreen Shot 2017-07-26 at 22.39.15.png
Screen Shot 2017-07-26 at 21.51.09.png
Screen Shot 2017-07-26 at 22.39.15.png

How is APFS performance on NVMe SSDs?

do you guys update via App Store ?
thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back