Contribute
Register

macOS High Sierra is Now Available on the Mac App Store

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did somebody try updating a dual boot system?

I’m having Sierra and Windows on two separate SSDs as well as a separate NTFS-formatted HDD in my system and am afraid, that the switch to APFS could mess things up.

Went really well the update.
Just added fakesmc.kext to efi/clover/kexts/other
Disabled SIP
Updated lilu and intelgraphicsfixup.kext to 1.1.7
Working fine so far.
But 144hz is still not working

Read that High Sierra will (weekly?) check your EFI as a security precaution and compare against known good files.

Is this a surprise to anyone? Is there potential Apple might use this to throw a wrench in non-Apple hardware?

I’m having Sierra and Windows on two separate SSDs as well as a separate NTFS-formatted HDD in my system and am afraid, that the switch to APFS could mess things up.

I updated a dual boot system. The High Sierra installer did not touch the Windows disk or the HDD. The only other drive is an NVME and High Sierra did not convert it to apfs, possibly because the installer couldn't see it? Or High Sierra only converts the drive you're installing to but I've heard mixed reports on that. Safest to disconnect other drives. I did not disconnect the nvme when I upgraded (or any drive) FWIW.

It's not a problem as you can see :)

Fast download, smooth update.. a shame there's no webdrivers. I guess HS will sit on my testdrive until there is (if there is)

Screen Shot 2017-09-25 at 21.48.02.png

Read that High Sierra will (weekly?) check your EFI as a security precaution and compare against known good files.

Is this a surprise to anyone? Is there potential Apple might use this to throw a wrench in non-Apple hardware?
I read it as, improving security, making sure real Macs have up-to-date firmware, nothing Big Brotherish. non-Apple hardware has been around so long now I would be surprised if Apple suddenly started going out of it's way to mess with it. After all once you go Mac you never go back. Or something. ;)

Firmware could not be validated during install?

The firmware error has a couple suggested fixes. The one that worked for me when I got it on one of the betas was to disconnect all windows drives. In fact, safest to disconnect any other drive you don't need and reconnect after install.

If that doesn't help, @RehabMan reports that setting your firmware version to a newer version fixes the issue, but I am unclear on how you do that, maybe it's a config.plist thing, like, open clover configurator, and make sure the firmware version is the latest up-to-date firmware for your SMBIOS? Not clear on that solution.
Make sure SIP is disabled (not just kext signing and filesystem), latest Clover and you should run the update app from the start every time you get this error.

Sorry. So focus on my system and download. Plus there was a recent power outage in my building and taken my network out. So I am having to use the network on the 3rd floor instead of the 5th, and now it's raining and am holding my breath that it doesn't reset the download with only a signal with 3 bars plus it's after 2am here am half a sleep ..
No problem so if you install it from the updates option which I am not getting or download it from the app store and then install it makes no difference right
You can’t update from one OS to another; that’s an upgrade. That’s why you don’t see anything for High Sierra while in a previous OS’s App Store update screen. You need to click on the High Sierra link on the main page of the App Store.
ok then download and click on install it will upgrade as before right I don’t have to remove Sierra and install High Sierra from start

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back