CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I was using a Samsung SSD 970 EVO 500GB without problems for two years with macOS (High Sierra, Catalina, BigSur). I am slowly running out of space and therefore I decided to upgrade to a 1TB drive. Because Samsung drives are supposed to be not the best pick for macOS (see here) I went for the said WD SN750 because it was recommended in the linked article.

A fresh BigSur installation onto that device works fine and the boot times are **way** better because of the said TRIM problematic with Samsung drives. However, after a few minutes of using the installed macOS it always freezes: I can move the mouse but every interaction with the OS is exremely laggy taking multiple seconds. When trying to shutdown using the keyboard combo (ctrl+alt+cmd+eject) it keeps hanging until I get a kernel panic stating that the watchdog panicked the system during shutdown.

This seems to coincide with writing data to the disk. I am now back to my old Samsung drive.

Did somone experience something similar and has an idea how to fix it?

Is your motherboard connected to other SATA devices? Mine is SN550, a lower-end one, but it works well.

Yes. The only other drive connected is a SATA Samsung 860 EVO. However, this is my Windows drive and therefore only mounted read only by macOS.

Check if there is a folder APPLE inside /Volumes/EFI/EFI/. You could try to delete it.

Check if there is a folder APPLE inside /Volumes/EFI/EFI/. You could try to delete it.
On which device? On the SATA drive? Can you explain why this is important?

On which device? On the SATA drive? Can you explain why this is important?
Your new one. It was initially unstable after I moved everything to SN550 until removing APPLE.

Interesting. Cannot really test that now. I assumed it was some imcompatiblity between the drive and my shitty mainboard and repurposed the drive as cache on my NAS. I will get another drive soon for testing. Not sure which would be the best pick, though.

Why did you ask whether I have any SATA drive? How is this relevant?

Interesting. Cannot really test that now. I assumed it was some imcompatiblity between the drive and my shitty mainboard and repurposed the drive as cache on my NAS. I will get another drive soon for testing. Not sure which would be the best pick, though.

Why did you ask whether I have any SATA drive? How is this relevant?
As some M.2 may conflicts with some SATA port...

These are just firmware updates for Apple hardware right? If that's the case - is it always safe to delete these?
They are no use for Hackintosh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back