Contribute
Register

macOS Catalina working perfectly UNTIL inserting 5700 XT GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,

I had a perfectly stable IGPU setup with 10.15.2 and decided to go for the ASUS ROG strix that matches my Z390 ROG gaming F board. I added boot arg agdpmod=pikera and change SMBIOS to iMacPro1,1.

I can easily boot into the system and all seems fine. However I get random freezes/crashes. Sometimes mouse can move sometimes screen is black. Sometimes it freezes with cursor artifact and crackling sound.

I have no idea how to get it stable. Its perfectly stable on my Windows SSD..

Any Ideas? Have uploaded EFI if someone is willing to take a look :)

I'm having exactly the same issues. Tried 3 5700XT's so far, with and without IGPU, changed SMBIOS, no dice. Errors also occur with OpenCore. Try to run this command "grep 'com.apple.DumpGPURestart' /var/log/system.log". I bet there is a lot of them in your log file.

I'm on a Asus Z390 Maximus XI Hero. Latest is to try without WEG, but cannot seem to get multiple monitors working..
Edit: Also happens without WEG :cry:

Last edited:
I'm having exactly the same issues. Tried 3 5700XT's so far, with and without IGPU, changed SMBIOS, no dice. Errors also occur with OpenCore. Try to run this command "grep 'com.apple.DumpGPURestart'". I bet there is a lot of them in your log file.

I'm on a Asus Z390 Maximus XI Hero. Latest is to try without WEG, but cannot seem to get multiple monitors working..

You can try turning off XMP and manually clocking the memory.

Was suspecting XMP for a while, but the system runs stable on Windows. It’s clearly happening because of a GPU restart, but I have no clue what’s causing it.

Was suspecting XMP for a while, but the system runs stable on Windows. It’s clearly happening because of a GPU restart, but I have no clue what’s causing it.

If I enable XMP it will crash my GPU. Not sure why on all three systems. I leave it off no crash.

If I enable XMP it will crash my GPU. Not sure why on all three systems. I leave it off no crash.
You can try adding your memory information and speed to your config.plist using Clover Configurator, it may or may not make a difference. I found it was the type of memory I had that was the issue, I couldn't even boot OS X. I upgraded my memory, everything else stayed the same, and then XMP profiles worked.

Really difficult to say what the deal is, some other users reported updating firmware helped (where it was available) or switching PCIe slots helped. Others had power supply issues, the XT5700 takes a fair amount of juice and I can see why that would be a problem. You are not alone though, plenty of other users seem to have similar issues. See here

Last edited:
I will definitely try disabling XMP. I actually did try to add memory information to the config, but it made no difference. The weird thing is that it's stable on Windows, Furmark and gaming, no problem. Light Chrome browsing can suddenly make it freeze on Catalina. Just updated to 10.15.4 beta, so will report back on that one. Oh btw, I previously had a RX570 card in the same system that never froze, so it must be the 5700. I also have a 850W PSU, and seeing the 5700 draw about 230W while gaming, I can't see why that would be an issue.

I will definitely try disabling XMP. I actually did try to add memory information to the config, but it made no difference. The weird thing is that it's stable on Windows, Furmark and gaming, no problem. Light Chrome browsing can suddenly make it freeze on Catalina. Just updated to 10.15.4 beta, so will report back on that one. Oh btw, I previously had a RX570 card in the same system that never froze, so it must be the 5700. I also have a 850W PSU, and seeing the 5700 draw about 230W while gaming, I can't see why that would be an issue.
Right, the one post I was reading the user said the power supply was malfunctioning, it had enough watts, it just was flakey. It could still be memory related even though it doesn’t freeze up in Windows.

Last edited:
You can try adding your memory information and speed to your config.plist using Clover Configurator, it may or may not make a difference. I found it was the type of memory I had that was the issue, I couldn't even boot OS X. I upgraded my memory, everything else stayed the same, and then XMP profiles worked.

I do not use clover any longer but when I did I had the memory information set up and it did not matter. I went threw three sets of memory, from three brands, with three different speeds. Three video cards, three mother board, three cpus, two PSU. In the end the only thing that removed the random GPU restarts for me was turning off XMP. I still have the memory configured in the bios to the correct speed I just did it myself.

I do not use clover any longer but when I did I had the memory information set up and it did not matter. I went threw three sets of memory, from three brands, with three different speeds. Three video cards, three mother board, three cpus, two PSU. In the end the only thing that removed the random GPU restarts for me was turning off XMP. I still have the memory configured in the bios to the correct speed I just did it myself.
That was guite a journey. I still prefer Clover, at least for the time being, but have working configurations with Opencore 5.5 on my Aorus Master and NUCs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back