Contribute
Register

macOS Catalina to be Available this October

Status
Not open for further replies.
Catalina will do a house cleaning on your system before it start the installation. Any customized setting file/or modified file in system space and 32 bits apps will be saved into a folder for you. Some of the system files are even renamed with filename_previous and kept in the system space, no idea why, there's quite a lots of them, and it make the system look uncleaned, recommending fresh install Catalina is way to go. Even apple own app fcpx trial stop working with the beta, go figure!

any time an operating system has a fundamental major shift in the kernel .. like the shift from power PC to intel... really best to start from scratch

osx is lightyears better to work with than windows on updates and upgrades and much less detritus floating around.. but catalina with abandon so much crap in the 'protected' space at best... screw with stability at worse.. that its just not worth the hassle ... not to mention that the engineers can't test for every possible eventuality, especially with hacks.. that there is no way of knowing what is and is not being transitioned properly

@Henties,

Apple will be pushing a heavily updated FCPX on the new Mac Pro when it finally releases later this year. It is possible that they might release a New Mac Pro specific version of FCPX but if not it will probably mean that FCPX min OS requirement will move from High Sierra to Catalina.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see ....

Cheers
Jay
@jaymonkey Coming to think of it I am actually not too concerned. All my computer cases have a kind of slipway at the top of their case. Any SATA drive, HDD or SSD, such as the Samsung EVO 850 can just be slipped in containing the operating systen of my choice. No need to open the case and fiddle with wires at all.
That is how I can run High Sierra, Mojave and now Catalina beta 8, and even earlier ones as well, without too much of a hassle when switching to another SSD containing the OPSYS that I require for the task at hand. All that is obviously initially required is to shutdown the machine or rather opsys currently running, remove the HDD and or SDD, whatever the case, slip in the new one containing the opsys of choice. fire up the nachine and thats it. Once booted you hopfully find yourself in the new world of your dreams. :) I only do this with medium containing an Apple opsys, "losedows" is not important to me and thus not worth the trouble. However I still maintain 2 "losedows" installations on HDD's inside the box. Any Apple opsys I slip in is capable to multi-boot into any one of the "losedows" I still maintain. One "losedows 10" is for keeping my "Electronic Workbench Multisim" by National Instruments as well as dbpoweramp by illustrate, alive. The latter is now also available for macOS and is indeed working very well. The other "losedows 10" is exclusively reserved for FSX but now that I have discovered X-Plane 11 for macOS, FSX has lost it's appeal to me.
Cannot wait to see what Apple will finally throw at us. :cool:

Greetings

Henties

It is a great pity that Apple has not provided a wrapper for 32-bit apps, to help transition to 64-bit. They did this way back in 2005 (IIRC) for the switch from PowerPC to Intel, with Rosetta. And it was no easy feat. Perhaps changing addresses and adding a lot of zeros, is too difficult o_O.

Other wrappers like WINE and CrossOver, even though upgraded to 64-bit apps themselves, will still not run 32-bit apps. It's very odd to see the standard 32-bit warning, when its actually not even Mac software you are running!

Doing a general Internet search for the wrapper mentioned earlier by @scottkendall hasn't shed any light. A lot of people are asking the question but apart from WINE and CrossOver being mentioned, there's not much else to go on. So it will be interesting to learn more about this in future.

With the 32-bit address method being removed in favour of the much-larger 64-bit one, we can at least be consoled that the Year 2038 vulnerabilty has been removed for us!

:)

I've always been amazed that most of the Apple I motherboards designed and built by Woz still boot up today, 43 years later. Here's what he had to say about building the Apple One back in 1976.

Woz designed them while Job's sister, Patty, Dan Kottke, and Bill Fernandez - the guy who got the two Steves together - actually did the stuffing and soldering.

Doing a general Internet search for the wrapper mentioned earlier by @scottkendall hasn't shed any light. A lot of people are asking the question but apart from WINE and CrossOver being mentioned, there's not much else to go on. So it will be interesting to learn more about this in future.

My mistake; I miss understood him, he was talking about for music plug-ins not for apps in general.

Maybe Catalina October 4th?

I think this will be the first time I do not immediately update. Beside the iPad screen stuff I see no need to update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back