Contribute
Register

macOS Catalina to be Available this October

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see any problems with upgrading from Mojave.

It's just that, in my case, I haven't done a clean install since around 2006 and I'm sure I have lots of legacy stuff that probably won't run on Catalina. So, I figured a clean install would be a good idea. Get rid of old 32-bit stuff... OpenGL stuff... etc...
People will always do things they way they want,
or,
How they believe things will work better for them.
No problem there, that is totally understandable.

But me I personally prefer to clean install.
Then I make a CCC image backup.

Personally, I have no real problems with iTunes, and I am sad to see it go with Catalina. I don't think it is really a so-called "piece of s**t" as many people think, and I am happy to see it remain with Windows at this time.

I have adopted a policy of never upgrading to the next MacOS version soon after its release, and for the last 3 versions (Sierra / High Sierra / Mojave) I only installed it on my systems when they reach .6 (except for High Sierra when it reached .4 because of improved AMD graphics support). I probably won't try Catalina until mid-2020 at the earliest.

"Let others figure out the major bugs/problems and Apple fixes them first."

Personally I have no real problems with iTunes and I am sad to see it go with Catalina. I don't think it is really a so-called "piece of s**t" as many people think, and I am happy to see it remain with Windows at this time.

I have adopted a policy of never upgrading to the next MacOS version soon after its release, and for the last 3 versions (Sierra / High Sierra / Mojave) I only installed it on my systems when they reach .6 (except for High Sierra when it reached .4 because of improved AMD graphics support). I probably won't try Catalina until mid-2020 at the earliest.

"Let others figure out the major bugs/problems and Apple fixes them first."
On the contrary, iTunes used to be a playground for Apple testing new Aqua elements until Yosemite. It was so admired until it became too large as it wanted to be everything.

I suppose there's a contradiction between the real Mac and the Hackintosh. Going back-to-basics all we are trying to do here is replicate an Apple Macintosh on PC hardware. So if a real Mac doesn't do something, then it seems churlish to complain that such-and-such hardware in a Hackintosh can't do it.

Catalina is leveraging the latest technologies but if Apple doesn't choose to use a piece of hardware, we can hardly complain if the manufacturer doesn't provide us with the drivers we want. Sales to Hackintoshers are becoming more significant, but are the numbers there yet?

The advantage real Mac has had over the years is precisely the limited hardware available. It has made reliability and compatibility much more easily achievable, not having to cater for so many possible combinations of components.

What we do here is a bit like hot-rodding, tuning up a basic machine to do something it was never designed to. Putting in a larger engine and fitting fatter wheels.

Catalina is breaking-up iTunes, and I'm sad about that, but I'm not swapping to Windows just to keep it. Apple probably thinks maintaining several separate apps is easier than trying to do the same for a huge, monolithic one. But it really does surprise me that Apple has dropped iPhone desktop support. After all, it makes a big thing about Hand-off and Continuity, which are iPhone, iPad and Desktop services.

If the Apple and macOS ethos is not for you, then neither is the Hackintosh scene, I guess. Our choice is being made more difficult or complicated with each new macOS version, but if running an older version of the OS on my Hackintosh ever becomes the only non-Apple hardware choice, I'll stick with it. Or upgrade my old Mac Mini :thumbup:

I also never had an issue with iTunes and I've been using it since it was SoundJam. I guess it did get bloated when they kept tacking on support for every service they provided, but I primarily used it for music and it was fine for me.

We always have to wait for drivers support
so while AMD fans are enjoying their latest AMD cards on windows, mac users have to wait, no one knows for how long
probably like 6 months or catalina .1 or .2 who knows

but windows users have support for those cards the since day onei'm no t a windows fan but i am realistic and the truth is the truth

@Gogeta-Blue,

You seem to be forgetting that MacOS is a closed and controlled Operating System.

Apple dictate what hardware they will use/ship in their machines.
Apple dictate when (or if) they will support new hardware such as a dGPU.
Apple don't care about what the Hackintosh community wants.
Apple only do what they want to do.

That's the way it's aways been and will continue to be.

All of us at TMx86 know and understand the compromises that come with running MacOS on non-Apple hardware.
We are extremely lucky that we can run MacOS at all, so be grateful for what we have and stop complaining.

If you want total freedom to choose what hardware you want to use then MacOS is not for you.

Cheers
Jay

@Gogeta-Blue,

You seem to be forgetting that MacOS is a closed and controlled Operating System.

Apple dictate what hardware they will use/ship in their machines.
Apple dictate when (or if) they will support new hardware such as a dGPU.
Apple don't care about what the Hackintosh community wants.
Apple only do what they want to do.

That's the way it's aways been and will continue to be.

All of us at TMx86 know and understand the compromises that come with running MacOS on non-Apple hardware.
We are extremely lucky that we can run MacOS at all, so be grateful for what we have and stop complaining.

If you want total freedom to choose what hardware you want to use then MacOS is not for you.

Cheers
Jay
Hello there Jay. I'm not complaining. I know it seems that way but I was just saying. I understand your points, but you also seem to be forgetting a few important facts.

Yes I know, and I'm aware that aApple is a close system.
but up to recently it wasn't so close as it is now
but now is more close than ever
which is not a good thing at least on my book

this is not a hackintosh problem or complaint even real mac owners feel the same way
why they can't run Nvidia GPU's on MAC OS

so apple don't care about what their costumers running real macs wants either

if apple works with AMD why apple can't have drivers available when AMD releases their new GPU's?
if apple can't do it that way then, why apple doesn't let AMD post those drivers in AMD web page
so people can download those drivers as soon as those GPU'S are available for sale
just like windows users or just like Nvidia used to do with the web drivers

honestly the problem is not mac os
the problem is the people that are in charge of apple now
they are the ones destroying mac os
but if you are ok with what they are doing then i have no objection

i used to love mac os , i still do but i don't like not being able to make decisions and others making those decisions for me

like what brand of GPU's i want to use on my system
because apple already choose AMD for me

you guys have it all twisted around, is not that mac os in not for me
i'm not for mac os

if i have to use inferior hardware in order to run mac os then i pass
hopefully tim cook will eventually go away one day

what happened to, we at apple we want to make the best computers
what happened to, we want our users to have the best experience ever when using our software

unfortunately he is gone and now instead of an extraordinary man
we have a man that only wants to make more money by offering less expensive hardware
and sale those macs at a ridiculous price, so they can maximize their profit

so the goal that was set is now change by the total opposite

Last edited:
hello there Jay, i'm not complaining, i know it seems that way
but i was just saying, i understand your points
but you also seem to be forgetting a few important facts

yes i know and i'm aware that apple is a close system
but up to recently it wasn't so close as it is now
but now is more close than ever
which is not a good thing at least on my book

this is not a hackintosh problem or complaint even real mac owners feel the same way
why they can't run Nvidia GPU's on MAC OS

so apple don't care about what their costumers running real macs wants either

if apple works with AMD why apple can't have drivers available when AMD releases their new GPU's?
if apple can't do it that way then, why apple doesn't let AMD post those drivers in AMD web page
so people can download those drivers as soon as those GPU'S are available for sale
just like windows users or just like Nvidia used to do with the web drivers

honestly the problem is not mac os
the problem is the people that are in charge of apple now
they are the ones destroying mac os
but if you are ok with what they are doing then i have no objection

i used to love mac os , i still do but i don't like not being able to make decisions and others making those decisions for me

like what brand of GPU's i want to use on my system
because apple already choose AMD for me

you guys have it all twisted around, is not that mac os in not for me
i'm not for mac os

if i have to use inferior hardware in order to run mac os then i pass
hopefully tim cook will eventually go away one day

what happened to, we want our users to have the best experience ever when using our software

unfortunately he is gone and now instead of an extraordinary man
we have a man that only wants to make more money by offering less expensive hardware
and sale those macs at a ridiculous price, so they can maximize their profit

so the goal that was set in now change by the total opposite

You make some good points.

Apple's focus has changed since the iPhone became such a big success. Steve only got as far as the iPhone 5. Now the company compass has swivelled around completely, the desktop is in third place after iPhone and iPad. Beforehand the desktop was everything. And there's a watch now.

Catalina is certainly locking-down more on what can be done, as will T2 eventually. It is a shame things are getting harder and not easier. Apple is exploring new ways to leverage revenue because it can see smartphone saturation as clearly as anyone. Perhaps by being so clever with iPad in coaxing users away from their laptops and old desktops, they have "shut the stable door after the horse has bolted"?

Like that mad auntie, I still love 'em tho'.

:D

honestly the problem is not mac os, the problem is the people that are in charge of apple now, they are the ones destroying mac os, but if you are ok with what they are doing then i have no objection.

@Gogeta-Blue,

The Apple ethos of old is unfortunately gone and they have moved their focus to pure profit, nothing more than a greedy global tech giant.

I agree with you that in the past few years MacOS has become more closed than it used to be ...
Apple don't seem to listen anymore to what users want they just give them what Apple thinks they need ..

I'm not ok with it but have accepted the situation for what it is, I'm just thankful for the great community we have and that we can run MacOS as well as we can.

Cheers
Jay

I`ve been using Catalina since the early betas and for me personally the increased security weighs higher then the features that are depreciated. The only thing that kind of pisses me off is that the audiobooks are in ibooks now. As of now I can`t edit the metadata and I used that quite often in itunes. But what really miss is the in-app volume slider and the ability to remote control it from my iphone, especially the volume. This might not be a concern for many people, but if you listen to a lot of audiobooks, as I do, you really want the old itunes back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back