Graphics
RX 6700 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Alongside the release of Big Sur 11.5 update Apple have also released a Security Update for macOS Catalina 10.15.7.

Screenshot 2021-07-21 at 22.18.11.png The update is a 1.43 GB download.

Completed on my Haswell Z97X-UD5H system after a couple of reboots, took around 10-15mins (wasn't timing it).

Screenshot 2021-07-21 at 22.31.24.png Catalina updated to (19H1323)

I am running OpenCore 0.7.1 with all the latest kext releases required for my system.

EDIT: 9th August 2021

The Standalone installer for Catalina is now available from Apple - Download, credit @Jamesbond007 for confirming its availability.

Last edited:
updated to 19H1323 today. Easy-peasy. Specs below and to the left.
I did not update kexts.

Just updated another Haswell system iMac2 in my signature, process took under 9 minutes from first reboot to logging in to the updated Catalina drive.

Easy, peasy, lemon squeezy!

Attempted to update on a Skylake system. The macOS Installer and macOS Installer pre-boot partitions just give me a black screen when I try to select them. I am running Clover r5119 because the later releases that incorporate OpenCore don't work for me. Standalone OpenCore is also broken for me. My kexts are up to date.
Did you try waiting and letting it do its thing?

I had the same weird long black screen period while updating a real 6.1 mac pro but it managed to update in the end.

I downloaded the update via the software update and on the first restart black screen period was unusually long. Decided to wait it out and it worked in the end. Weirdly enough, update went much more smoothly on my hackintosh machine.

Just updated to 19H1323 without updating kexts. All worked as expected. As always, I needed to reset some UEFI parameters after the first reboot to get the installer to continue. I will update kexts when I have more time. Also, I really need to update to Big Sur and change to OpenCore.

Updated to 19H1323 running OpenCore 0.7.0 and kexts refreshed mid-June of 2021 on hardware in signature. About 25 minutes to download and install starting from prior security patch 2021-003 running iMac 20,2 SMBIOS. After clicking Restart it was hands-off as OpenCore selected the installer on restart. Display did go black then displayed a white square for a few seconds, but then recovered back to progress indicator. (I have a Apple Cinema HD Display 30 at 2560x1600 with an active DisplayPort to Dual Link DVI adapter that sometimes misbehaves during reboot but recovers when the OS loads.)

I waited until the standalone update of the security update was available (which was just a few days ago) to install the update. I cloned the Catalina installation onto a blank hard disk and use that to boot on another system running a Kaby Lake i7 and then use the standalone update to install it. After the update was successfully installed with the system successfully booting, I use the disk to boot my main system and then clone the installation back onto the SSD on my main system.

All seems to work fine afterwards.

I had random reboots after installing 2021-004 through software update.
Shutdown and reboot after ± 5 minutes.

Downloaded the standalone updater, reinstalled. Running fine so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back