Contribute
Register

macOS Catalina Public Beta is Now Available

Status
Not open for further replies.
Created a USB Installer using latest Public Beta per the instructions on this site. Installed on new SSD and when booting off USB and choosing my SSD, it boots fine. Basic things work (RX 580, WIFI/BT and Ethernet).

But, I cannot get Clover v4961 to install. Should Clover work on Catalina? Yes
When Clover is doing it's install, it says the packages are not compatible with the version of macOS. Ignore message.

Second thing -- I put kexts (latest Lilu, WEG, AppleALC and USBInjectAll) on the USB in EFI\Clover\kexts\Other. Boot on USB (of course). Choose my SSD in bootloader. When I log in and check System Information\Extensions, none of them are listed. No Lilu or WEG or AppleALC, etc. Are these kexts loading or not? If not, why? Need to examine your log file to see if they are loading. In any event, the preferred location for kexts is /L/E. USBInjectAll is only used to select usb (best done using Hackintool). Once you have created your usbports.kext file in /L/E you shouldn't be loading USBInjectAll. You should be using a later version of Clover, but v4961 should also work. Make sure you disable sip before running Clover.

I'm installing on a new SSD in a desktop PC that was running Mojave. I just popped in a new SSD and am installing.

Just wondering how others are getting everything working? I think I'm missing some basic concepts. ;)

Thanks for the tips! I installed the necessary kexts to /L/E using KextBeast, and now they show as loaded.

I acquired Clover v2.5k_r5033 and installed that onto my SSD, and as expected, nothing works when I try to boot directly from the SSD. The boot loader screen comes up and I choose my SSD and...nothing. Black screen. So I rebooted via USB again and copied the EFI folder from the USB (which works 100%) to my EFI on the SSD. Reboot. Voila! It works just as well as when booting from the USB.

I'm not sure why Clover can't be consistent. I know I used the tonymac Clover 4961 and the generic 5033. Could that be the difference? I tried to pick all the correct custom options when installing 5033 but it was a complete no-go.

I need to work on the USB ports now. Is there still a port limit on Catalina like Mojave? My PC (a Dell 5680 desktop) has tons of USB ports (6 USB3 and 4 USB2) and most are disabled in the bios and I have a natively supported PCI-e card with USB3.0 ports since they all work without any messing around! I will look back into using Hackintool but I recall last year when I tried it (it was FB-patcher or something like that) it would not properly detect my ports so I wound up getting the native support USB3 card.

Thanks again.

The problem with not booting after installing v5033 no doubt is because you didn't customize the install to include AptioMemoryFix-64.efi in /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/. The only thing essential in the kexts/Other/ is FakeSMC.kext.

Glad you got it resolved. Cheers.

The directory structure has changed, it's now /EFI/CLOVER/drivers/UEFI/
Found that out when it wouldn't boot after updating Clover to ver 5

The directory structure has changed, it's now /EFI/CLOVER/drivers/UEFI/

I noticed that. And the .efi files in the UEFI folder were missing the "-64" on each of them. What does that signify?

And, yes, I looked at my bad EFI folder (5033) and it was indeed missing AptioMemoryFix-64.efi. I might tackle upgrading it to 5033 again. Maybe. ;)

The newest drivers are all 64 bit now.

Perhaps the structure has changed if you do a fresh install with no prior version of Clover in the EFI partition, but I just confirmed installing v5033 does not remove the earlier folder structure. However, you're correct; all the drivers are now 64 bit and reside in /EFI/CLOVER/drivers/UEFI/.

I noticed that. And the .efi files in the UEFI folder were missing the "-64" on each of them. What does that signify?

And, yes, I looked at my bad EFI folder (5033) and it was indeed missing AptioMemoryFix-64.efi. I might tackle upgrading it to 5033 again. Maybe. ;)
Since 32 bit drivers are not included anymore in the latest clover distributions the developers found it prudent to omit the -64 tail in driver names for all the drivers they now provide. Makes sense doesn't it ?
Why specify a driver being -64 bit when nothing else is provided for some time already?

Greetings

What about drivers for GTX1060?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back