Contribute
Register

macOS Catalina Public Beta is Now Available

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes you right about the navi, they are mid range not worth the wait
you are also right about only 3 games having ray tracing support and you are also right about most of the things you mentioned, like AMD being in the consoles XBOX PS5

the only thing that i will say that doesn't happen to me if that drop in frame rates

at first i didn't even bother to set the fan speed
but later i started cranking up the fans a bit just to keep the card at a good temperature while gaming
i'm sure you already know what i'm going to say
but just in case for others users that might read the message
when the cards overheats they throttle, just like CPU's

i just bought an AC for my computer room because i'm living in a hot country
and it doesn't matter if the person has water-cooling, if the room is hot
then inside the pc is going to be hot
now my pc is extremely cool , 18c

i do have a nice case TT view 71 with 10 TT fans
so the air flow is fine

the raedon vii is a good card all around, most likely i will have to do the jump
because apparently nvidia doesn't care about their costumers
and i'm honestly tired of waiting
is not so much about the brand, is just that i don't want to ruin my computer look

all i need is to find a raedon vii that matches my build

i know i made a big mistake when i bought that RTX 2080
i really thought that nvidia will continue to support web drivers
that in a few months they will release web drivers for the new cards
just like they did with pascal but man i was so wrong
then not only that but then everything got worse and now probably they will never release anymore web drivers

yes i admit, they back stab me
i'm sure pastry chef will be happy to read that, lol

NVIDIA makes amazing cards and the 2080Ti is the king. Realtime raytracing is no gimmick, and the tensor cores and CUDA has a lot of potential outside of gaming too.

I just feel like if you are Hackintoshing it's not worth the headaches waiting or even dual GPUing.

I suffered the same faith when the 1080 (Pascal) came out and there was this huge delay of 6 months. I stuck with the NVIDIA card waiting and using macOS with iGPU and dual booting into Windows just to use the 1080. Really made me angry so I moved to AMD exclusively.

The Radeon VII to me is what Vega 64 should have been. It's a great all arounder. Is it a better value than NVIDIA with it's fancy RTX features? No. Will you have less anxiety by going with AMD and macOS? Yes. Is time more valuable to you? To me, yes.

If you are a gamer or really need NVIDIA to play the latest and greatest tech, maybe just build a SFFPC with a gaming GPU and CPU?

NVIDIA makes amazing cards and the 2080Ti is the king. Realtime raytracing is no gimmick, and the tensor cores and CUDA has a lot of potential outside of gaming too.

I just feel like if you are Hackintoshing it's not worth the headaches waiting or even dual GPUing.

I suffered the same faith when the 1080 (Pascal) came out and there was this huge delay of 6 months. I stuck with the NVIDIA card waiting and using macOS with iGPU and dual booting into Windows just to use the 1080. Really made me angry so I moved to AMD exclusively.

The Radeon VII to me is what Vega 64 should have been. It's a great all arounder. Is it a better value than NVIDIA with it's fancy RTX features? No. Will you have less anxiety by going with AMD and macOS? Yes. Is time more valuable to you? To me, yes.

If you are a gamer or really need NVIDIA to play the latest and greatest tech, maybe just build a SFFPC with a gaming GPU and CPU?

When hackintoshing, using a supported a GPU simplifies installation and updates A LOT. Having used Nvidia cards in the past and having to wait for Nvidia to update their drivers after every macOS update was a PITA. I never understood the decision by Nvidia to force the pairing of specific versions of their drivers with specific versions of macOS. Most of the time, I don't think they made any improvements anyway. Plus, the cryptic version numbers they use made pairing even more confusing and difficult.

Natively supported components are priceless.

When hackintoshing, using a supported a GPU simplifies installation and updates A LOT. Having used Nvidia cards in the past and having to wait for Nvidia to update their drivers after every macOS update was a PITA. I never understood the decision by Nvidia to force the pairing of specific versions of their drivers with specific versions of macOS. Most of the time, I don't think they made any improvements anyway. Plus, the cryptic version numbers they use made pairing even more confusing and difficult.

Natively supported components are priceless.
You are absolutely right. Every time waiting and waiting after an update and then not knowing if it works. I'm waiting for almost a year now, still don't have Mojave and that means you cannot get the latest (safety) updates. For example for the cloud, I write a lot. I will NOT buy Nvidia again, for me, Nvidia is OUT. Why do we have to suffer under their policy problems?

[Q: Some additional definition for KextsToPatch for Catalina ( 10.15) may be mandatory ????]

Greetings from JPN,

Though I joined the public beta test for Catalina several days ago, I am wondering What/How I should do specify any KextsToPatch of Config.plist.
Since I use this config.plist data sharing with Mojave(10.14) and Catalina, I suppose some additional definition for KextsToPatch for Catalina ( 10.15) may be mandatory.

Pls advice me if you ahve already tested and verified that any KextsToPatch for 10.15 has been defined correctly.
Thanks in advance. I hope some important information will be reached me soon.

Attachments

• スクリーンショット 2019-07-04 19.57.38.png
    スクリーンショット 2019-07-04 19.57.38.png
    190.3 KB · Views: 115
the Radeon VII is too expensive for what it offers.
I have a 1070 and I want to change it to an AMD. I don't know whether to take a vega 64 or wait for the new rx 5700 .... will they be supported immediately by catalina and mojave?
are there any news?
thank you so much

I have a 1070 and I want to change it to an AMD. I don't know whether to take a vega 64 or wait for the new rx 5700 .... will they be supported immediately by catalina and mojave?
are there any news?
thank you so much

Most likely new 5700 series will be supported, check this out:

And check the 5700XT OpenCL performance in GeekBench, looks incredible.

Radeon VII is not that expensive, it's AMD's flagship model and has a similar performance/price as the RTX2080 (not SUPER). And computationally it's better than the RTX2080.

Do you want the Radeon VII to be $399? That's not going to happen. Just the HBM2 memory costs ~$300+. There was a breakdown where these GPUs make very little for AMD and cost between $350-$450 just to build. They are rejected MI50 dies.

are there any news?
thank you so much

I've always felt that Vega 56 offers much more "bang for the buck" when compared to Vega 64.

I picked up a PowerColor Red Dragon Vega 56 for $260 and saw amazing performance with a little bit of tweaking. I posted details here.

Most likely new 5700 series will be supported, check this out:

And check the 5700XT OpenCL performance in GeekBench, looks incredible.

Radeon VII is not that expensive, it's AMD's flagship model and has a similar performance/price as the RTX2080 (not SUPER). And computationally it's better than the RTX2080.

Do you want the Radeon VII to be $399? That's not going to happen. Just the HBM2 memory costs ~$300+. There was a breakdown where these GPUs make very little for AMD and cost between $350-$450 just to build. They are rejected MI50 dies.

thanks for your answer!

for me and for what Radeon VII offers, it costs too much. I'm not saying that it must cost 399 but not even double! This is my thought.

However I am interested in the new NAVI and if these cards will be supported I will buy the rx 5700

[Q: Some additional definition for KextsToPatch for Catalina ( 10.15) may be mandatory ????]

Greetings from JPN,

Though I joined the public beta test for Catalina several days ago, I am wondering What/How I should do specify any KextsToPatch of Config.plist.
Since I use this config.plist data sharing with Mojave(10.14) and Catalina, I suppose some additional definition for KextsToPatch for Catalina ( 10.15) may be mandatory.

Pls advice me if you ahve already tested and verified that any KextsToPatch for 10.15 has been defined correctly.
Thanks in advance. I hope some important information will be reached me soon.

Kext for USB Port Limit for 10.15 - Look at post 125

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back