Contribute
Register

macOS Catalina Public Beta is Now Available

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update to Public Beta 2 was super easy. Sidecar doesn’t show error 401 anymore but it just shows “Poor connection” and never connects. Progress though! Lol
are you using BT connection or usb cable connection?
At least this is some progress, not the one we want, but a progress nevertheless.
lol

I will work eventually but as you can see, it won't be from one version to the other quickly, but in small baby steps.

At least you stop me from trying
because to try again then I had to reinstall iPad OS,
and I just restore iOS 12 on my iPad like 2 days ago

But, if you are using BT connection, then try with the USB cable.
Maybe it will work that way with the USB cable.

Once again, thanks for the info.

are you using BT connection or usb cable connection?
At least this is some progress, not the one we want, but a progress nevertheless.
lol

I will work eventually but as you can see, it won't be from one version to the other quickly, but in small baby steps.

At least you stop me from trying
because to try again then I had to reinstall iPad OS,
and I just restore iOS 12 on my iPad like 2 days ago

But, if you are using BT connection, then try with the USB cable.
Maybe it will work that way with the USB cable.

Once again, thanks for the info.

I’ve tried wireless and wired same issue.

I have 3 separate Mac OS disks: 1) Mojave 10.14.5; 2) Catalina Beta 2 - Upgrade; 3) Catalina Beta - Clean install directly on a clean formatted disk. (ie: the downloaded install software installed on a new disk named Catalina)

I upgraded a fully functioning Mojave to Catalina Beta and now Beta 2 on a separate disk and everything that worked in Mojave is working in Catalina Beta 2. I open the Catalina disk with the Mojave clover boot loader and select the Catalina disk.

I found that in a "Clean install" you are not able to install kexts (in the traditional way) nor a clover boot loader (it will show as non-compatible with the operating system). In order to get the clean install to boot, I copied the EFI folder from the USB (tonymac clover v 4961,UEFA installer) and incorporated it into the EFI on the clean install (which only had an "Apple Folder"). I was able to get sound and Ethernet by adding those kexts (Apple ALC and IntelMausInternet) to the combined EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other folder.

I was able to get USB3 working with the following entry in EFI/Clover info.plist opened with Clover Configurator.
I added the following 2 Patches in Kernel & Kext Patches:

Patch #1
Name: com.apple.iokit.IOUSBHostFamily
Find: 83FB0F0F
Replace: 83FB3F0F
Comment: USB Port Limit Patch #1
Match Build: 10.15.x

Patch #2
Name: com.apple.driver.usb.AppleUSBXHCI
Find: 83F90F0F
Replace: 83F93F0F
Comment: USB Port Limit Patch #2
Match Build: 10.15.x

Screen Shot 2019-07-03 at 8.13.12 PM.png

Last edited:
I finally got rid of the port limit patch today and created a USB port kext. Not only does everything works better now, but is better than having to be looking for those kexts patches and waiting until they become available.

The funny thing is that it was much easier than I expected. Thanks to the hackintool by headkaze, I was able to get the job done.

Unfortunately, everything is not sunshine and rainbows. Nvidia is killing me! :lol:

I'm really considering selling my RTX 2080 and buying a Raedon VII.

I finally got rid of the port limit patch today and created a USB port kext. Not only does everything works better now, but is better than having to be looking for those kexts patches and waiting until they become available.

The funny thing is that it was much easier than I expected. Thanks to the hackintool by headkaze, I was able to get the job done.

Unfortunately, everything is not sunshine and rainbows. Nvidia is killing me! :lol:

I'm really considering selling my RTX 2080 and buying a Raedon VII.

I would totally do that too but I'd have to sell my 2080 Ti and my Vega Frontier. Plus I'm spoiled by the 2080 Ti in games so... I might just stick with dual cards for now. :lol:

Just do it. It's the equivalent of a 2080.
Minus tray tracing. lol! Yes is close, but the 2080 is a bit better for gaming while the Raedon VII might be a bit better or a bit faster for content creation, specially on macOS. More or higher bandwidth, etc.

I think I will do what djlild7hina wrote. I probably buy the card without having to sell mine.

I will hate selling my card and the next day Nvidia come out with web drivers. I was also waiting for the new Navi to see how they perform against the Raedon VII.

But, I will make my decision and pull the trigger by Catalina launch. I can't do dual cards because i have 2 SSD7102 with 4 Samsung 970 Pro in each card, and both of those cards have to run at 16x. So I can get maximum speed.

Last edited:
Minus tray tracing. lol! Yes is close, but the 2080 is a bit better for gaming while the Raedon VII might be a bit better or a bit faster for content creation, specially on macOS. More or higher bandwidth, etc.

I think I will do what djlild7hina wrote. I probably buy the card without having to sell mine.

I will hate selling my card and the next day Nvidia come out with web drivers. I was also waiting for the new Navi to see how they perform against the Raedon VII.

But, I will make my decision and pull the trigger by Catalina launch. I can't do dual cards because i have 2 SSD7102 with 4 Samsung 970 Pro in each card, and both of those cards have to run at 16x. So I can get maximum speed.

Meh. Open source real-time ray tracing is coming anyway. There’s literally like 3 games that support RTX right now. When PS5 and the next XBOX come out very soon, they will have ray tracing and they both use AMD hardware.

I wouldn’t bank on RTX to be honest. Plus the frame drops are too harsh.

To be such an early adopter won't pay off later when NVIDIA drops the 3080Ti most likely next year (10nm?)

Navi is a mid range series and does not compete with Radeon VII.

RVII is a good gaming card. I run most AAA titles at 3840x1600 above 60fps with almost all settings set to max. (Depending on title)

Last edited:
Meh. Open source real-time ray tracing is coming anyway. There’s literally like 3 games that support RTX right now. When PS5 and the next XBOX come out very soon, they will have ray tracing and they both use AMD hardware.

I wouldn’t bank on RTX to be honest. Plus the frame drops are too harsh.

To be such an early adopter won't pay off later when NVIDIA drops the 3080Ti most likely next year (10nm?)

Navi is a mid range series and does not compete with Radeon VII.

RVII is a good gaming card. I run most AAA titles at 3840x1600 above 60fps with almost all settings set to max. (Depending on title)
yes you right about the navi, they are mid range not worth the wait
you are also right about only 3 games having ray tracing support and you are also right about most of the things you mentioned, like AMD being in the consoles XBOX PS5

the only thing that i will say that doesn't happen to me if that drop in frame rates

at first i didn't even bother to set the fan speed
but later i started cranking up the fans a bit just to keep the card at a good temperature while gaming
i'm sure you already know what i'm going to say
but just in case for others users that might read the message
when the cards overheats they throttle, just like CPU's

i just bought an AC for my computer room because i'm living in a hot country
and it doesn't matter if the person has water-cooling, if the room is hot
then inside the pc is going to be hot
now my pc is extremely cool , 18c

i do have a nice case TT view 71 with 10 TT fans
so the air flow is fine

the raedon vii is a good card all around, most likely i will have to do the jump
because apparently nvidia doesn't care about their costumers
and i'm honestly tired of waiting
is not so much about the brand, is just that i don't want to ruin my computer look

all i need is to find a raedon vii that matches my build

i know i made a big mistake when i bought that RTX 2080
i really thought that nvidia will continue to support web drivers
that in a few months they will release web drivers for the new cards
just like they did with pascal but man i was so wrong
then not only that but then everything got worse and now probably they will never release anymore web drivers

yes i admit, they back stab me
i'm sure pastry chef will be happy to read that, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back