Contribute
Register

macOS Catalina Cleanup: Remove Kexts From /Library/Extensions and Recache

From what I know Clover checks if and which kexts are in /L/E and in case not present, Clover will load the particular kext from /Other. So if everything is in /Other, it makes no difference if InjectKexts is Yes or Detect. Same result.

What I would like to know if kext cache needs to be rebuilt after updating a kext in /Other? Any ideas?

Thanks

You are correct - if EVERYTHING (meaning all 3rd-party kexts) is in E/C/k/O, Detect / Yes should make no difference. However, if FakeSMC.kext or Lilu.kext/VirtualSMC.kext is cached from /L/E or from /S/L/E, Clover with "Inject Kexts = Detect" will NOT inject any kexts in E/C/k/O. If FakeSMC/VirtualSMC is cached from /L/E or /S/L/E, Clover "Inject Kexts" must be set to YES to inject kexts from E/C/k/O. See great explanation here.

I have cleaned up my /Library/Extensions folder and making sure all the kexts are moved to the /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other folder

However I have noticed that these kexts NO LONGER APPEAR in the System Information Application. Normally these kexts would appear in Software/Extensions listed as "Not Signed"

Is this expected ? Can or does this need to be fixed ?

I don't think this is an issue as you can see them being loaded in the clover boot log.

Not an issue, perfectly normal.

Is there any requirement or benefit from a similar cleanup of system/library/extensions, or any need/way to remove old, unused or out of date kexts?

In particular, I notice that there's a copy of FakeSMC.kext in my S/L/E. Any issue?

I'm going to update macOS 10.14.3 to 10.15.4 and, as suggested I have to move my 3rd party kexts from from /Library/Extensions to /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other

In my /Library/Extensions folder I have the following kexts:

Extensions 2020-04-14 14-04-13.png

• Green: kexts found in the default macOS Catalina /Library/Extensions (found in this post)
  • Red: kexts that MultiBeast 11 could have installed in /Library/Extensions (found in this post) + FakeSMC (and all others FakeSMC's plugins)
  • Blue: Identified as coming from:
    • Intel Power Gadget for EnergyDriver
    • Wacom Tablet for FTDIKext, SiLabsUSBDriver64 and Wacom Tablet
The question is: what should I do for these categories?
Green should stay there, Red should be moved to /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other and what about Blue ones?

Similar question to the first one but more general: in the next macOS versions where 3rd parties developers (not hackintosh builders) should put their kexts? (This is just a curiosity)

Thanks a lot!

typed mount -uw / and it didn't do anything. Is the extra "space" supposed to be or is that bad formatting? Also I tried mount -uw/ instead and it said it was "illegal option". Am I doing this wrong?

Update: I assumed it wasn't doing anything when I entered the commands and hit enter, but I suppose it was. Was able to clear kext cache and reboot no problem.

I would like to also know how to delete Kexts from SLE. Want to install 15.2 kext in place of 15.4 kext. Thought had to do this in Recovery terminal but not working. Thanks.

I would like to also know how to delete Kexts from SLE. Want to install 15.2 kext in place of 15.4 kext. Thought had to do this in Recovery terminal but not working. Thanks.

Are you familiar with Hackintool? It offers a utility for "unlocking" Catalina so you can remove kexts and it offers a utility so you can install kexts to /L/E or /S/L/E.

Are you familiar with Hackintool? It offers a utility for "unlocking" Catalina so you can remove kexts and it offers a utility so you can install kexts to /L/E or /S/L/E.
best to keep your kexts in clover with Catalina

Thanks for the tip. Have Hackintool but didnt read the manual. Anyhow after copying 15.2 kexts over and repairing permissions it KP at boot.

Back