Contribute
Register

macOS Catalina Cleanup: Remove Kexts From /Library/Extensions and Recache

So doe s that mean that our kext now no longer get included in kextcache ?

So doe s that mean that our kext now no longer get included in kextcache ?

Yes.

There has been a lot of discussion about this over the years but now Apple are reducing our options as we go forward. Nothing about Hackintoshing is "official" but this is the best way from now on.

:)

You may have to simplify your method of dealing with kexts. The latest version of Clover and third-party kexts should work for both of Mojave and Catalina, as r5102 worked well for my H61 build in February, even back to High Sierra (now Catalina however). r4770 should be a bit outdated nowadays.

Sorry for being unclear. I’m on that recent Clover r5102, after a bad experience with a different install of Clover r5105 I found somewhere that really messed up my system. (Moral of the story: just stick with tonymac configurations, and don’t update Clover on a perfectly good system.) The 4770 I was referring to was my i7-4770 processor, vintage mid-2014, which is otherwise still entirely acceptable.

I have written a shell script that will remove the MultiBeast installed kexts from /Library/Extensions.

Download and unzip the attached file. Then in Terminal cd to the directory that contains the unzipped file.

Usage example:

sudo ./Beast-Clean.sh "Test APFS"​

"Test APFS" is a test volume of mine. Replace with your volume name.

can you provide a screenshot of your Finder and the path? I’m a bit confused what the volume should be.

can you provide a screenshot of your Finder and the path? I’m a bit confused what the volume should be.
The path to what? If you mean the path to the downloaded script, it's in your Download folder. Here's an easy, one command line method.
- Open up the Terminal. In the Terminal window, type "sudo " (space after the sudo command). Don't hit Return yet!​
- Open a Finder window for your Download folder, unzip the download by double clicking on it.​
- Now, just highlight the "Beast-Clean.sh" script. Then drag and drop it into the Terminal window. Add a space to the end of the command.​
- Add your macOS drive to the end of the script command in Quotes. My drive is named Macintosh HD, so I would have "Macintosh HD" in quotes.​
- Now press Return.​
- Enter your password at the prompt.​

This is what the Terminal window would look like if I was using the script after I unzip the downloaded file:
Code:
$ cd ~/Downloads/
$ sudo ./Beast-Clean.sh "Macintosh HD"

Last edited:
Not that it matters, but will you be recommending that Clover "Inject Kexts" = YES instead of DETECT?

The path to what? If you mean the path to the downloaded script, it's in your Download folder. Here's an easy, one command line method.
- Open up the Terminal. In the Terminal window, type "sudo " (space after the sudo command). Don't hit Return yet!​
- Open a Finder window for your Download folder, unzip the download by double clicking on it.​
- Now, just highlight the "Beast-Clean.sh" script. Then drag and drop it into the Terminal window. Add a space to the end of the command.​
- Add your macOS drive to the end of the script command in Quotes. My drive is named Macintosh HD, so I would have "Macintosh HD" in quotes.​
- Now press Return.​
- Enter your password at the prompt.​

This is what the Terminal window would look like if I was using the script after I unzip the downloaded file:
Code:
$ cd ~/Downloads/
$ sudo ./Beast-Clean.sh "Macintosh HD"

This is EXACTLY what I needed, thank you so much.

Sorry for being unclear. I’m on that recent Clover r5102, after a bad experience with a different install of Clover r5105 I found somewhere that really messed up my system. (Moral of the story: just stick with tonymac configurations, and don’t update Clover on a perfectly good system.) The 4770 I was referring to was my i7-4770 processor, vintage mid-2014, which is otherwise still entirely acceptable.
I also have a Haswell processor Hack, 4790K with 10.14. Works great. Not much reason to upgrade, hardly anything is CPU intensive and the gains in CPU speed haven't been that dramatic.
Did some recent tweeking and I have already started moving most of my kexts to EFI/Clover/Other and updated a few of them and it's been working much better. Using clover 5097 as this is what works for me so far.

Glad to hear the team at TonyMac is on the ball getting use moving in the right direction :clap:

It depends on how Clover or OpenCore handle in future versions of macOS. At least kexts inside the EFI partition don’t pop up a warning dialog in 10.15.4.

In my case 10.15.3 upgrade essentially didn't work
So in a future macOS, when legacy kexts are blocked, they will still load properly if they are in the Clover folder? So not really blocked?

In my case 10.15.3 upgrade refused to install.
You download the upgrade, attempt to install and get the circle with the line through it.
In verbose mode I got the error:

"couldn't allocate runtime area hackintosh"

restored from backup and tried using full upgrade from apple and again same issue.

restored from backup again. this time went through this procedure cleaning up my /Library/Extensions and rebuilt the cache using this. checked clover config was clean and downloaded latest kexts like Lilu and Whatever green.
Tried the upgrade this time and it worked like a charm.

I had gone from 10.12 -> 10.15 so likely had a lot of crud from previous upgrades and versions of clover.

Personally I'd recommend following this before considering going to 10.15.3 or later.

Back