Contribute
Register

macOS Catalina 10.15.0 - USB Port-Limit Removal Patch

Regarding posts #42, 44, and 46, here is the config.plist currently in use on the Skylake computer. EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other is also attached. I am still at a loss as to why the port limit removal patches are not working.

Attachments

• config.plist.zip
    2.7 KB · Views: 98
  • Other.zip
    309.7 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Have spent hours on this problem. Have reinstalled all the MultiBeast items, upgraded Clover, updated Lilu and WhateverGreen, checked and unchecked various boxes in config.plist, created a new SSDT using MacMan's technique, reinstalled latest version of USBInjectAll.kext, etc., etc. Have always mounted the read-only System volume of the APFS disks; doesn't help.

Nothing changes the IORegistryExplorer list of ports. It's always HS01-HS14 plus USR2.

OK, after a day of troubleshooting, now the port listing says HS01-HS14 plus SS01. (Don't ask why; I don't know.)

Classic 15-port unconfigured output.

An H170N-WIFI shouldn't be causing so many problems. Must be something we aren't seeing. o_O

Have tried SMBIOS iMac 18,3; iMac 18,1; iMac 17,1; iMac 14,2. Same result with all. Have tried adding secondary hex numbers to the first group of "Find" and "Replace" as seen in the PLRPs for 10.14.4. No change. Have tried ACPI "InjectUSB" check box both checked and unchecked. Have tried "Automerge" checked and unchecked. No change. Something or other changes the 15th USB port back & forth between "USBR1" and "SS01" but I cannot determine what does that. Is there some setting in the UEFI BIOS (F22e) that can cut the missing ports loose? I even tried buying PListEdit Pro (for $30) and configuring using that instead of Clover Configurator. No change, and both apps give the same result in the text area of PListEdit Pro anyway. What am I missing? I dumped the DSDT (using F24 in Clover) and it shows HS01-HS14, USR1, USR2, and SS01-SS10. So those SS ports are there, I just can't make them visible in IORegistryExplorer.

Note the irony here: I had done all the port mapping back in 2016, made an SSDT per RehabMan's procedures, and it worked fine on High Sierra and Mojave. So I don't really need a port limit removal patch; I should just be able to reproduce my original SSDT, put it in ACPI/patched, and be off to the races. But it doesn't work, maybe for the same reason the ports are stuck where they are.

Last edited:
Have tried SMBIOS iMac 18,3; iMac 18,1; iMac 17,1; iMac 14,2. Same result with all. Have tried adding secondary hex numbers to the first group of "Find" and "Replace" as seen in the PLRPs for 10.14.4. No change. Have tried ACPI "InjectUSB" check box both checked and unchecked. Have tried "Automerge" checked and unchecked. No change. Something or other changes the 15th USB port back & forth between "USBR1" and "SS01" but I cannot determine what does that. Is there some setting in the UEFI BIOS (F22e) that can cut the missing ports loose? I even tried buying PListEdit Pro (for $30) and configuring using that instead of Clover Configurator. No change, and both apps give the same result in the text area of PListEdit Pro anyway. What am I missing? I dumped the DSDT (using F24 in Clover) and it shows HS01-HS14, USR1, USR2, and SS01-SS10. So those SS ports are there, I just can't make them visible in IORegistryExplorer.

Understood.

In post #42 you show a screengrab of IORegistryExplorer. Go to the same place again and in the right-hand panel open the triangle next to the "ports" entry ...

Assuming XHCI has not been disabled in BIOS this is still a configuration issue. There is still something we are not seeing.

Unfortunately if I return to that same place the "ports" listing in the right-hand panel is... gone! Also the "RM,_USBInjectAll" entry is missing. I will have to massage some more config.plist entries to see if I can get it back.

OK, I reinstalled USBInjectAll.kext and the "Ports" item is back. Here it is:

Screen Shot 2019-12-07 at 5.05.40 PM.png

Last edited:
Unfortunately if I return to that same place the "ports" listing in the right-hand panel is... gone! Also the "RM,_USBInjectAll" entry is missing. I will have to massage some more config.plist entries to see if I can get it back.

OK, I reinstalled USBInjectAll.kext and the "Ports" item is back. Here it is:

View attachment 439288

Okay, good.

Well this is the same effect Hackintool displays - proving all the ports available, are there to be used. So it confirms there is just a "configuration" issue - either through error or intentionally - that is restricting what is being used. Sorry I can't tell you what that is from here, remotely, but hopefully it will give you some pointers. :thumbup:

If you open the triangle next to each port in the right-hand panel, it should give you more info.

:)

Thanks for your support, UtterDisbelief. Since I have no idea how to go forward from here, I have attached a zipped copy of my CLOVER folder, less the contents of "doc," misc," "themes," and "tools." (Hopefully that just reduced the size of the file, but not any of its necessary functions.) Would you please look at it and let me know if you see anything, like unchecked or checked boxes in config.plist, or any of the other contents that could block the port limit removal procedure from going through? I would definitely appreciate it!
(P.S.) All the stuff in the right-hand panel with triangles open look to be consistent as far as for numbers and port "count."

Attachments

• CLOVER copy.zip
    2 MB · Views: 68
Last edited:
I should mention that this computer had been given to my next-door neighbor who has installed apps with which I am unfamiliar, such as "Bit Defender" (anti-virus) and "VPN" (virtual private network, I think), etc. Any possibility that the anti-virus program needs to be uninstalled to make this procedure work? There are files from that app in /Library/Extensions.

Back