Contribute
Register

MacOS Big Sur on Legacy system

Status
Not open for further replies.
so you are trying to update Catalina = boot loop after the first reboot. As said before, it seems impossible to update with a legacy system (most of them). You need to update from another hackintosh or real Mac with UEFI or VM then connect your HDD back to your legacy system.
thanks bro.. follow your method ..
LGA 1156 :thumbup::headbang:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-01-15 at 3.52.33 AM.png
    Screenshot 2021-01-15 at 3.52.33 AM.png
    1 MB · Views: 370
Last edited:
Due to electric flatulence and high voltage in my home my g41 board gose died now I will buy a new asus h81 board and i3 processor for my new built because this one is under my bazat

Hi folks.

Quick question...Is this configuration still able to run Big Sur, perhaps with OpenCore?

Motherboard: Asus p5k Pro (LGA775)
CPU: Intel Xeon X5460 (with mod sticker LGA771 to LGA775) (has SSE 4.1 support)
RAM: 6GB DDR2 (might add another +2GB)
GPU: Radeon RX560
Storage: 120GB SSD + 1TB HDD
Sound: xternal Soundcard (EFI U46XL)
Network: Ethernet USB dongle (has official Big Sur driver available)

*Currently running macOS Sierra (my first install, still running fine - installed in 2017)
*Used for: common tasks, some light music production, simpler Photoshop stuff, web design...

Thanks for the answer in advance!

Quick question...Is this configuration still able to run Big Sur, perhaps with OpenCore?
It's much better to use a newer system, at least Haswell or newer with UEFI BIOS for Big Sur. Having SSE 4.1 support is not enough. You'll need 4.2. The GTS 450 is obviously not supported. Have a look at this guide for the 7020/9020 Dell Optiplex.
You can buy the SFF version for around $100 to $120 with a quad core i5. Upgrade the ram and SSD yourself, use HD4600 gfx and it's a very fast machine that runs Big Sur perfectly. For the price/cost you can't do much better than this. Not sure if it will still have native support with macOS 12 later this year but it's possible it will.

Last edited:
It's much better to use a newer system, at least Haswell or newer with UEFI BIOS for Big Sur. Having SSE 4.1 support is not enough. You'll need 4.2. The GTS 450 is obviously not supported.
Yeah, well.. If I'd purchase a new machine, it would be a macbook...So before I make the switch, I'd still like to squeeze out everything I can from my current machine :D I've read somewhere that the Mousse kext can help solving the issue with sse 4.2 requirements (for 4.1 cpus), plus my GPU is an RX560, as written (gonna update the profile now).

Thanks for your input!

So before I make the switch, I'd still like to squeeze out everything I can from my current machine
Give it a try. If it works, post a brief guide about how you did it. Will be interesting to know if it can work with B.S.

Sure. I case I decide to try it, I'll be letting you know how it went in a reply to this topic. Thanks!

My wife always blames me. Now I'm just going to blame it on electric flatulence. :)
A big thank you to you, and you just make my life rock n roll !!

Long story short, I have been messing around with the OC from 0.6.0 to 0.7.1 and tried every single version, it takes me almost a few months and couldn't get it solved but I can boot into the OS with dual screen ( 1 x DP; 1 x HDMI ) However, none of my USB ports work. (the attached EFI-066) ... Many Thanks for your postsssss and I have learn a lot from you..

I got my GA-H55M-UD2H running 10.14.6 Mojave on cloverR5122; it works fine for last 2 years.
As of the newest Catalina & BigSur are so hot, I was so hitch to get it running on this old nice PC!

Now, I can do triple boot with your EFI and I just put my DSDT.aml and replaced your one, update the SMBIOS with MacPro5,1 and it boots perfectly on everything ( at least most of the stuffs I need is working now ) - million thanks ! ( as I was using MacPro6,1 before )

* I am not a developer nor programmer so I have zero coding experience, but now at least all my "important" function works ! :mrgreen:

Detail spec: H55M-UD2H - Xeon X3450 | 32GB | R9-270x - 2GB
Win10 on intel SSD
Catalina on Samsung EVO850 SSD - as boot disc: OC 0.6.5
BigSur on NVME Samsung EVO970 with a PCIe x 4 converter

Things are working:
BlueTooth;
USB ports; From the IORegistryExplorer shows only 4 ports working;
but at least I can use my USB keyboard and USB mouse ha ha ha
Onboard NIC ( I don't need wifi )
Internal sound card - best is the headphone jack is working so that I can switch between my external SB omni surround

Still are some minor things:
  • like my NVME disk show up in yellow color;
  • My R9-270x showing as R9-370X (that's good a free upgrade !)

The first EFI is from deeveedee's (credit goes to him !) and the EFI-066 is a newest version I try to did it myself. Can boots into the OS-bigsur but no USB ports is working...

Attachments

• EFI-TH55.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 181
  • EFI-066.zip
    2.6 MB · Views: 194
  • Screen Shot 2021-07-10 at 10.59.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-10 at 10.59.23 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 135
  • Screen Shot 2021-07-10 at 10.59.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-10 at 10.59.36 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 129
Hey I am a complete noob in hakintosh.
If big sur installation on legacy bios is possible please, if you can provide me with the steps.
I dont have any mac. so please give the steps to install it using windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back