Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Turbox X-58 (Legacy BIOS)
CPU
Intel Xeon X5660
Graphics
AMD Radeon RX 570
Hi, I am using a motherboard with legacy bios. I want to install macOS Big Sur on my computer. Is this possible?

System:
Motherboard: Turbox X-58
Processor: Intel Xeon X5660
Grapichs: AMD Radeon RX 570 (4GB)
RAM: 8 GB DDR3
Storage: 250 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD

The X58 motherboard you are using and the FCLGA1366 Westmere EP CPU are probably better suited to Mojave or earlier.

Your CPU is similar to the CPU used in a MacPro5,1 system, which stopped being supported when Catalina was released. That doesn't mean you can't run Catalina and Big Sur, just that the native SMBIOS you would use is not supported. You would have more hurdles to jump to get the system running the newest version of macOS.

Using an iMacPro1,1 or MacPro7,1 might allow you to install either of the newest releases of macOS. But that is not a given.

Apple used two Xeon X5670 CPUs in their mid-2010 Mac Pro, here is the spec sheet so you know what your system is imitating and closest to with regards a real Mac system - https://everymac.com/systems/apple/...twelve-core-2.93-mid-2010-westmere-specs.html

I would love to install macOS Big sur, is there any method? Mojave is out of date and some apps require macOS Big sur.

You would need to follow the OpenCore Legacy install process for the Lynnfield & Clarkdale System and see whether Big Sur works with your Westmere system. https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/config.plist/clarkdale.html#starting-point

However, you might be better served following one of the old Clover installation threads on this site for a Westmere EP system running macOS. I would go for Sierra or High Sierra if I were undertaking the installation. This is so you know you can install macOS before you tackle Big Sur. You can also learn what needs to be fixed before you jump in the deep end with Big Sur, which will be more difficult to hack given the age of your system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back