Contribute
Register

macOS Big Sur Does NOT Boot with iMac14,2 System Definition

I can't go to safe mode so,
I can't disable SIP so,
I can't change my model identifier from 14.1 so,
I can't upgrade to Big Sur so,
I won't be able to sleep tonight!!

I have tried all reason methods to go to safe mode, but nothing works. I must has rebooted 100+ times trying. My specifics: Gigabyte Z370 HD3P, i7-8700K, RX 580, OS 10.15.7, clover R5119.

I can't go to safe mode so,
I can't disable SIP so,
I can't change my model identifier from 14.1 so,
I can't upgrade to Big Sur so,
I won't be able to sleep tonight!!

I have tried all reason methods to go to safe mode, but nothing works. I must has rebooted 100+ times trying. My specifics: Gigabyte Z370 HD3P, i7-8700K, RX 580, OS 10.15.7, clover R5119.
You can't use clover configurator and change CsrActiveConfigs under RtVariables to 67 to disable SIP?

translate please

Hey guys, I'm running the latest Catalina and I have a dual monitor setup using an Nvidia GT-650 graphics card on a Sandy Bridge 2600K on a Gigabyte Z68X board. No other system definition besides 14,2 works with my dual monitor setup.

I've tried the following;

If you guys work with dual monitor setups and have a suggestion, I would greatly appreciate it.
Also, I guess this is a clue I need to upgrade my system. lol.
I can help you out with the dual monitor issue. I've got no issues with that on many installs and configs..

Currently, on this laptop, which is a Dell E6430, I'm running a native Intel HD Graphics 4000, i5-3320M (IvyBridge 2.5 GHZ). I have at the moment on this clean install of Catalina 10.15.7 which I just did a couple hours ago. It started off with 2048 MB VRAM .The most I've had it up to are 3072 MB VRAM. But I didn't really notice much of a difference though performance wise.

Anyhow, this is my first post so I assume I can send you screenshots. Basically, your problem is going to be in your configuration plist settings under your Device Properties/Add/PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0). You're going to want to adjust your AAPL,ig-platform-id and add a few other framebuffer settings in there that will most likley solve your problem.

Post a screenshot of your config.plist and your EFI Folder. I can either tell you whats wrong, or I can just make you an EFI Folder on the spot with the adjustments that will correct the issues which I'm pretty sure that your having. I'll respond in the same day and get this solved. I know first hand what its like dealing with these endless issues, and I know other people have too had to deal with a lot more than me .

Anyhow, I got some wisdom from all that, and I'll be glad to help anyone that may need or use my help as we all learn from each other to begin with.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-01-10 at 11.06.26 pm.png
    Screenshot 2021-01-10 at 11.06.26 pm.png
    259.3 KB · Views: 127
I can help you out with the dual monitor issue. I've got no issues with that on many installs and configs..

Currently, on this laptop, which is a Dell E6430, I'm running a native Intel HD Graphics 4000, i5-3320M (IvyBridge 2.5 GHZ). I have at the moment on this clean install of Catalina 10.15.7 which I just did a couple hours ago. It started off with 2048 MB VRAM .The most I've had it up to are 3072 MB VRAM. But I didn't really notice much of a difference though performance wise.

Anyhow, this is my first post so I assume I can send you screenshots. Basically, your problem is going to be in your configuration plist settings under your Device Properties/Add/PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0). You're going to want to adjust your AAPL,ig-platform-id and add a few other framebuffer settings in there that will most likley solve your problem.

Post a screenshot of your config.plist and your EFI Folder. I can either tell you whats wrong, or I can just make you an EFI Folder on the spot with the adjustments that will correct the issues which I'm pretty sure that your having. I'll respond in the same day and get this solved. I know first hand what its like dealing with these endless issues, and I know other people have too had to deal with a lot more than me .

Anyhow, I got some wisdom from all that, and I'll be glad to help anyone that may need or use my help as we all learn from each other to begin with.
Thank you, my friend. I'll give it a try and I'll report back accordingly.

You can use that or use the Haswell based iMac SMBIOS of 15,1. It's a perfect match for your i5-4690K CPU. Then your CPU power mgt. will be much easier to implement. See post #2 of this thread.
Can you elaborate on why CPU power management would be easier to implement with iMac 15,1 for a Haswell CPU?

I'm currently using iMac 14,2 with my 4770K build, and I'm trying to determine which system definition to use to upgrade to Big Sur. What are the risks of using a newer system definition (e.g., iMac 17,1 or 18,3) or the benefits of sticking with a Haswell model like iMac 15,1?

Can you elaborate on why CPU power management would be easier to implement with iMac 15,1 for a Haswell CPU?
15,1 iMacs used a Haswell CPU. That's what macOS expects to regulate with that SMBIOS. Not Ivy Bridge or Skylake or Kabylake. You can use 17,1 or 18,3 but I see no advantage in doing that.

Seeking advice for what SMBIOS to use on an Z77 Ivy Bridge test bed. Currently on Mojave as main OS having skipped Catalina completely. Will upgrade Cover Mojave to Opencore Catalina once I get my head around it.

Using dual monitor set up on (currently) R9 280 but contemplating purchasing a second hand RX580. Never planning on using on board graphics except for decoding if required.

Have had success installing Big Sur using with Opencore 0.6.5 with SMBIOS 15.1 on 11.2.1 but having some DRM video playback issues. No power management organized yet. Note Overclocked to 4.5 Ghz

Planning on making an Opencore 0.6.7 dummy USB stick to test, upgrading to 11.2.3, and then playing with various SMBIOS.

Thoughts on SMBIOS' to get stable, power managed, overclocked Z77 to work best?

Last edited:
having some DRM video playback issues. No power management organized yet.
Unless it has changed DRM does not work on Big Sur unless you run a SMBIOS to a system that does not have a IGPU. So Mac Pro 6,1, iMac Pro 1,1, Mac Pro 7,1.

Back