Contribute
Register

macOS Big Sur Does NOT Boot with iMac14,2 System Definition

Will this definition work with an Ivy Bridge with an Nvidia GTX 770 card?. As I know these Mac Pro 6,1 had AMD GPUs, right?
I was able to upgrade to Big Sur without any problems using the attached EFI. I just want to be able to set when my computer goes to sleep. Not hard to make the changes to the kext but getting it the modified one back into S/L/E hasn't been easy.

One caveat of changing the system definition that I have noticed is that CPU and USB management doesn't work properly.

I have an old system and I switched my system definition from iMac12,1 to iMac16,1 in order to be able to download/install Big Sur and I have lost CPU stepping and USB configuration is a little messed up (USB power).

All those were working perfectly when using the correct definition for the CPU.

Been on my build for close to 2 years now. Using the generated "default" iMac14,2 system definition. Have applied all Mojave updates, currently at 10.14.6. System seems stable. I don't use this machine for messaging, or email. As such, have put off fixing iMessage. Assume I should finally finish my build by assigning valid serial numbers, UUID's, etc, via the SMBIOS system definition selection in the iMessage Fix guide. If I go thru this process, is there a better system definition I should use that would better prepare for future OSX upgrades? Would like to update to Catalina at some point; most users recommend NOT attempting the move to Big Sur until later, especially with regards to my current iMac14,2 definition. Ive looked at the SMBIOS system definitions and not sure what I should select, if there's a better fit. My MOBO has an Intel Core i3 3.60Ghz processor in a LGA1151 socket. And based on the preceding post, should i expect some clean-up will be needed if I use a different definition than current? Just wanting to do what's best, with the least amount of struggle, if that's possible. Thanks for any advice and/or comments.

Been on my build for close to 2 years now. Using the generated "default" iMac14,2 system definition. Have applied all Mojave updates, currently at 10.14.6. System seems stable. I don't use this machine for messaging, or email. As such, have put off fixing iMessage. Assume I should finally finish my build by assigning valid serial numbers, UUID's, etc, via the SMBIOS system definition selection in the iMessage Fix guide. If I go thru this process, is there a better system definition I should use that would better prepare for future OSX upgrades? Would like to update to Catalina at some point; most users recommend NOT attempting the move to Big Sur until later, especially with regards to my current iMac14,2 definition. Ive looked at the SMBIOS system definitions and not sure what I should select, if there's a better fit. My MOBO has an Intel Core i3 3.60Ghz processor in a LGA1151 socket. And based on the preceding post, should i expect some clean-up will be needed if I use a different definition than current? Just wanting to do what's best, with the least amount of struggle, if that's possible. Thanks for any advice and/or comments.
18,1 or 18,2 is likely the closest match... Mac mini 8,1 also a good match because you are using IGPU. I would not copy over anything from the 14,2 definition and let clover configurator populate all fields for the new system def. if you have any software that has a key and the ability to deactivate it before the change I would do so.

18,1 or 18,2 is likely the closest match... Mac mini 8,1 also a good match because you are using IGPU. I would not copy over anything from the 14,2 definition and let clover configurator populate all fields for the new system def. if you have any software that has a key and the ability to deactivate it before the change I would do so.
Scott, thank you for the feedback. I'm curious as to what hardware config(s) you're looking at for the 18,1 or 18,2 options? Is it the cpu chipset, socket type, cpu speed, # of DIMMS, or other MOBO capabilities? I get the mac mini choice due to the use of the onboard graphics. I had to remove the MOBO wireless chip b/c it did not offer bluetooth; I used a Fenvi FV-T919 card for BT capability. Its a bare bones build. When I do the sys def change, I'll use Clover Config to make the change as you've suggested. Taking baby steps, learning as I go.

Cheers!

Scott, thank you for the feedback. I'm curious as to what hardware config(s) you're looking at for the 18,1 or 18,2 options? Is it the cpu chipset, socket type, cpu speed, # of DIMMS, or other MOBO capabilities? I get the mac mini choice due to the use of the onboard graphics. I had to remove the MOBO wireless chip b/c it did not offer bluetooth; I used a Fenvi FV-T919 card for BT capability. Its a bare bones build. When I do the sys def change, I'll use Clover Config to make the change as you've suggested. Taking baby steps, learning as I go.

Cheers!
The CPU is pretty much going to dictate the Chipset but since apple does not use the same chipset we mostly look at the CPU. But really there is not going to be a perfect match. Many people with a build similar to mine use Imac Pro 1,1 since that provides the best DRM experience, and there is not a huge difference between the base 8 core Xeon and the 9900k.

The CPU is pretty much going to dictate the Chipset but since apple does not use the same chipset we mostly look at the CPU. But really there is not going to be a perfect match. Many people with a build similar to mine use Imac Pro 1,1 since that provides the best DRM experience, and there is not a huge difference between the base 8 core Xeon and the 9900k
The CPU is pretty much going to dictate the Chipset but since apple does not use the same chipset we mostly look at the CPU. But really there is not going to be a perfect match. Many people with a build similar to mine use Imac Pro 1,1 since that provides the best DRM experience, and there is not a huge difference between the base 8 core Xeon and the 9900k.
@MadDan Actually, you're spec'ing a Skylake iMac if you go with a iMac18,1 or 2 SMBIOS (I use an iMac18,3 to match my i5-7600K Kabylake build). An H370 uses a Coffeelake CPU so an iMac19,1 or 2 is the closest model(s) to emulate for your i3-8100.

@MadDan Actually, you're spec'ing a Skylake iMac if you go with a iMac18,1 or 2 SMBIOS (I use an iMac18,3 to match my i5-7600K Kabylake build). An H370 uses a Coffeelake CPU so an iMac19,1 or 2 is the closest model(s) to emulate for your i3-8100.
17,1 is skylake; 18,1/2/3 is kabbylake; 19,2 and mac mini 8,1 are coffeelake 8th gen and since his CPU is an I3 the closets thing is actually the Mac Mini 8,1 though they no longer sell the I3 version, 19,1 is a 9900k 9th gen. However, the current 21.5" 4k iMac uses an 8th Gen I3 and 8th Gen I5. So really the system defs are all over the place. Let's not forget that everything from 6th Gen - 9th Gen is based on Skylake cores.

17,1 is skylake; 18,1/2/3 is kabbylake; 19,2 and mac mini 8,1 are coffeelake 8th gen and since his CPU is an I3 the closets thing is actually the Mac Mini 8,1 though they no longer sell the I3 version, 19,1 is a 9900k 9th gen. However, the current 21.5" 4k iMac uses an 8th Gen I3 and 8th Gen I5. So really the system defs are all over the place. Let's not forget that everything from 6th Gen - 9th Gen is based on Skylake cores.
Ok, I'm a little puzzled. Looking at EveryMac.Com, the spec for iMac19,2 shows "Core i3" 3.6 21.5-Inch Aluminum (Retina 4K, 2019/Coffee Lake) features a 14-nm "Coffee Lake" 3.6 GHz Intel "Core i3" processor (I3-8100). Using Clover Config, the iMac19,2 shows iMac (21.5 inch, Retina 4K, 2019) | Intel Core i7-8700, at 3.20 Ghz. Looking at iMac19,1 on both sites shows an Intel Core i9-9900K @ 3.6 Ghz. If Everymac is correct, then the 19,2 might be the best fit for the i3 chip. Am I correct, and can I use this selection in Clover Config?

Ok, I'm a little puzzled. Looking at EveryMac.Com, the spec for iMac19,2 shows "Core i3" 3.6 21.5-Inch Aluminum (Retina 4K, 2019/Coffee Lake) features a 14-nm "Coffee Lake" 3.6 GHz Intel "Core i3" processor (I3-8100). Using Clover Config, the iMac19,2 shows iMac (21.5 inch, Retina 4K, 2019) | Intel Core i7-8700, at 3.20 Ghz. Looking at iMac19,1 on both sites shows an Intel Core i9-9900K @ 3.6 Ghz. If Everymac is correct, then the 19,2 might be the best fit for the i3 chip. Am I correct, and can I use this selection in Clover Config?
Most all the system definitions I listed would work just fine with your system. However, the closest matching one would be the mac mini 8,1 because you are running IGPU.

Last edited:
Back