Contribute
Register

macOS Big Sur Does NOT Boot with iMac14,2 System Definition

Yeah, I hear ya! I am experiencing some strange things on Catalina, but not to the point where I just want to go back to Mojave. I just wanted to test it. Eventually, I will want to update my system, but I need to have a dual monitor setup, that's whY I posed the question. Only time will tell. Thanks for the reply.

you could always get a used RX 560 or something for rather cheap unless you really need the nvidia card! Or even a new one for around $100. Just steer clear of the XFX cards.

I have a Dell Optiplex 7020, CPU: 4590 and Intel HD 4600 graphics. Boot Catalina very well. Big Sur Beta 6 installed but preboot not boot. I tried several settings in OpenCore bootloader but no success. plist attached. Any help or tips.

Attachments

• config.plist
    17.5 KB · Views: 112
Big Sur Beta 6 installed
If it's a Dev. beta 6 those are under NDA. Also this is not a support thread. Post for help in Big Sur Desktop Support.

you could always get a used RX 560 or something for rather cheap unless you really need the Nvidia card! Or even a new one for around $100. Just steer clear of the XFX cards.
Thanks for the advice. I do have an AMD Radeon 480 on another computer that I hacked with similar specs. The CPU is an Intel i5 2500S, instead of the i7 2600K. I'll try that one and see how it turns out.

To learn about what I think was the reason iMac14,2 was dropped, see the following article:

Couple of options. If Catalina does everything you need it to, keep that and 13,2 SMBIOS. If you need to upgrade to Big Sur for whatever reason you can switch to the Ivy Bridge based Mac Pro 6,1 SMBIOS. IMO it's much too early to upgrade to Big Sur. I would stay with Catalina and 13,2 if everything runs reliably now.
I switched to Mac Pro 6,1 and the only negative I have found is that "Energy Saver" only has one slider for display time. I can't select when I want the computer to go to sleep. There is a way to modify a system kext which I have done but I can't get it to save back to /S/L/E. I am sure there is a way to do it but I need to do more research as the "easy ways" aren't working for me.

I switched to Mac Pro 6,1 and the only negative I have found is that "Energy Saver" only has one slider for display time. I can't select when I want the computer to go to sleep. There is a way to modify a system kext which I have done but I can't get it to save back to /S/L/E. I am sure there is a way to do it but I need to do more research as the "easy ways" aren't working for me.
Will this definition work with an Ivy Bridge with an Nvidia GTX 770 card?. As I know these Mac Pro 6,1 had AMD GPUs, right?

Will this definition work with an Ivy Bridge with an Nvidia GTX 770 card?. As I know these Mac Pro 6,1 had AMD GPUs, right?
Yes it should work, Ivy Bridge was the tech used in the 2013 Mac Pro. But who knows if the power management will work properly. However, you might be better off using something like Mac Pro 5,1.

There is really no reason to have your Kexts in S/L/E if you must put them in the OS folder then put them in L/E. However, with Catalina and to a lesser extent Mojave they should be stored in your /EFI/kext/Other with clover or EFI/OC/kext with OC!

There is really no reason to have your Kexts in S/L/E if you must put them in the OS folder then put them in L/E. However, with Catalina and to a lesser extent Mojave they should be stored in your /EFI/kext/Other with clover or EFI/OC/kext with OC!
You are mostly correct. In this case I am trying to replace the IOPlatformPluginFamily kext with one that I modified. This kext contains some platform information. In my current case, I am missing the ability to put the computer to sleep after X minutes due to it being on MacPro6,1. It might just be easier for me to switch to MacPro5,1 but I don't think it will work with Big Sur as it came out in 2010.

Back