Contribute
Register

macOS Big Sur Does NOT Boot with iMac14,2 System Definition

Just a general question. I'm a long time hackintosh user (since Sierra), using the iMac 14,2 system definition under Clover. Over time have got everything working, including iMessage (except DRM content) and the setup is very stable. So really trying to plan ahead to think about the potential complexities introduced by a move to Big Sur, given the necessity to change the system definition. I have a dumb question -- well two actually -- the first is understanding what scope of services & products get 'impacted' by the (therefore necessary?) serial number change, the second if/is how to avoid it:

1. I am assuming that changing the System Definition will cause the Serial Number (and other identifiers?) to change and therefore cause issues with iMessage. I am wondering what services it might effect, e.g.
a.) iTunes/Music (I presume no, if one logs out and logs back in again);
b.) iCloud Drive (maybe? should one log out before changing the system definition);
c.) some commercial software registered to the particular machine, e.g. Parallels (I presume this checks the Serial Number? Does anyone have experience of this?)

2. Has anyone ever tried changing the system definition (e.g. to 17,2) but then changing the Serial Number back to the original version? I assume this doesn't work as Serial Numbers tend to also identify the machine/system definition?

Appreciate any thoughts / reactions.

Thank you.

@carljharris3141, you are correct; SysDef and serial numbers are associated together. If you want to change your SysDef use either MultiBeast (latest version) or Clover Configuration. I'm partial, so I recommend MultiBeast:
Customize > System Definition > ...​
Build​
Install​
Reboot​

@carljharris3141, you are correct; SysDef and serial numbers are associated together. If you want to change your SysDef use either MultiBeast (latest version) or Clover Configuration. I'm partial, so I recommend MultiBeast:
Customize > System Definition > ...​
Build​
Install​
Reboot​
Thanks. I've got more experience fiddling with Clover Configurator. But just a quick question - in following this approach using MultiBeast, I presume it leaves all the other settings & kexts one may have in the EFI undisturbed? It just changes the SysDef (and Serial Number)..? Thanks.

Thanks. I've got more experience fiddling with Clover Configurator. But just a quick question - in following this approach using MultiBeast, I presume it leaves all the other settings & kexts one may have in the EFI undisturbed? It just changes the SysDef (and Serial Number)..? Thanks.
Yes. Just do the above, and you'll be good to go. (I'm spoiled, too.)

There's absolutely no technical reason for Apple to abandon users on iMac 14.2

Some high end iMacs from 2013 are even faster than low end iMacs from 2019...

There's absolutely no technical reason for Apple to abandon users on iMac 14.2

Some high end iMacs from 2013 are even faster than low end iMacs from 2019...

Apple is the richest company for a reason. ;)

Any idea on what def to use for my older system?

Hi, just a quick question, should I log out of iCloud before changing SysDef with MultiBeast ? I thought any change to the Serial Number could cause issues with iCloud ID.

Thanks =)

Yes. Just do the above, and you'll be good to go. (I'm spoiled, too.)
Thank you. I’m holding off for a bit, as I am concerned about the impact a change in Serial Number has on iMessage, and also things like software which checks if it’s still installed on the same machine (I think Parallels does this, and then forces you to pay again if you change the Serial Number — I think, am not 100% sure..) Very much appreciate if others could share their experiences on changing the system definition and Serial Number, in particular as it will have to be done to support Big Sur... Thank you!

So if I change my 14,2 configuration to something else, will I have to update my Serial Number too? I seem to remember having to do this in the past and it was rather unpleasant. Also with my processor I am not sure what to change my configuration too. Any suggestions?

Back