Contribute
Register

macOS Big Sur Does NOT Boot with iMac14,2 System Definition

I have to keep resetting SMBIOS from 14.2 too 15.1. I got BigSsur updater on Catalina running with 15.1. "Clover Boot". I hope we have Big Sur UniBeast soon.

I have to keep resetting SMBIOS from 14.2 too 15.1.
Why not simply change it in your Config.plist ? Then you'll only need to do it once.

This app makes it very easy. Open the config.plist with it and make the edit.
Alternately you could generate new serials and SMUUID with something like Clover Configurator. You'd choose the 15,1 in the SMBIOS section and then save your config.plist.

Last edited:
I found the best way for me to change smbios on my Dell optliplex 3010. I triple boot . High Serria, Cat 15.6 and windows.
I was playing with install plist for months. Then I was using MutilBeast set SMBIOS to 15.1 and installed it on installer.
Now every thing boots fine after install. iMac 15.1, Cat 15.6 wants me to update to Big Sur! I partitioned High Sierra and formatted, second to DOS, installed Windows from CD.

I have an Haswell processor...isn't iMac19,1 above that? Won't cause any problems?

I have an Haswell processor...isn't iMac19,1 above that? Won't cause any problems?
You can use that or use the Haswell based iMac SMBIOS of 15,1. It's a perfect match for your i5-4690K CPU. Then your CPU power mgt. will be much easier to implement. See post #2 of this thread.

Cool will do! This machine is pretty standard stuff so should hopefully run Big Sur well.

Are we still thinking Open Core or Clover? Have not dipped into Open Core yet but really considering it.
I did my hackintosh with a 7700K CPU using Open Core and I like it. Just gotta find the Open Core guide online. It's fairly detailed. I only had to guess a couple really small details. It's time consuming but not very hard. Make a backup of your hackintosh or prepare another drive and give it a shot.

What would be the procedure for people still running on Ivy Bridge? Change to 19,1 as well or any other work arounds? Up until now my system has been running very reliably on Clover using 13,2

What would be the procedure for people still running on Ivy Bridge? Change to 19,1 as well or any other work arounds? Up until now my system has been running very reliably on Clover using 13,2
Couple of options. If Catalina does everything you need it to, keep that and 13,2 SMBIOS. If you need to upgrade to Big Sur for whatever reason you can switch to the Ivy Bridge based Mac Pro 6,1 SMBIOS. IMO it's much too early to upgrade to Big Sur. I would stay with Catalina and 13,2 if everything runs reliably now.

Back