Contribute
Register

macOS 12.3 Update Causes Problems for 5700/6800/6900 Graphics Cards

Does anyone know if shikgva is dead in 12.3.1? I tried using whatevergreen 1.5.7 and shikgva=80 boot arg for SMBios iMac20,1 (Asus Z490 i7-10700k RX560) as well as reset NVRAM with no change in results. FairPlay 1(audio only) and 4 fail.

Everything worked here, no issues, Clover r5146.
Captura de Tela 2022-04-03 às 22.55.19.png

Last edited:
If you have a dual boot system, you might want to think about the 6900 XTXH cards. If you game or like to tinker, you can really push these cards to the limit. The downside however, is that out of the box, the macOS doesn't support it, so it requires some additional work to spoof the drivers (you basically trick the macOS to think that the XTXH card is a regular XT card), and the benefits of the XTXH are not fully realized on the macOS side.

Edit -- I see that you have a X299 system. The XTXH spoof is a bit more complicated for these systems, so if you don't want to bother getting into the weeds with it, I would just get a regular XT card.

Now I'm very confused since apparently it's not quite clear what is an XT and what is an XTXH card...and then apparently there's a third variant called XTX as well.

How do I know that I'm not purchasing an XTXH card accidentally? Can someone give me that actual brand/model that is a simple XT card? After searching these forums, as well as Googling, I haven't been able to ascertain what cards are what.

The cards I'm currently looking at are:

and

Is anyone around here using any of these, and knows for sure that they're not XTXH?

Thank you!

@Midphase Regular XT is device-id 0x73BF while XTXH is 0x73AF. Since this level of technical information is typically not advertised to gamers, your best bet is to go for reference designs and avoid anything that brags of overclocking and/or commands a price premium…

Does anyone know if shikgva is dead in 12.3.1? I tried using whatevergreen 1.5.7 and shikgva=80 boot arg for SMBios iMac20,1 (Asus Z490 i7-10700k RX560) as well as reset NVRAM with no change in results. FairPlay 1(audio only) and 4 fail.
First it is spelt shikigva not shikgva. Secondly I understand shikigva was deprecated from Big Sur 11 onwards.

Going forwards your only options are not that many but as you have a RX 560, you could try some of the listed AMD overrides in the link given by StefanAM (on the bottom of the page) and see if they enable Fairplay.

Now I'm very confused since apparently it's not quite clear what is an XT and what is an XTXH card...and then apparently there's a third variant called XTX as well.

How do I know that I'm not purchasing an XTXH card accidentally? Can someone give me that actual brand/model that is a simple XT card? After searching these forums, as well as Googling, I haven't been able to ascertain what cards are what.

The cards I'm currently looking at are:

and

Is anyone around here using any of these, and knows for sure that they're not XTXH?

Thank you!

@Midphase - I'm not sure, and I don't want to give you the wrong advice.

The best thing to do is to contact the manufacturers directly.

That being said, @taconugget used the Sapphire, and it worked out of the box. It appears that it is recognized as a 73BF card or an XT.

A quick Google search pulled up a discussion on overclock, and a person contacted Sapphire who confirmed it was an XTX card.

your best bet is to go for reference designs and avoid anything that brags of overclocking and/or commands a price premium…

That's my plan -- unfortunately they all seem to be bragging about some sort of OC capability since that's what typically sells. The ones that I listed in my post are the best priced ones that I can find.

With the exception of this guy:

But some of the reviews said that the GPU crapped out on them after a couple of months. I have no experience with ASRock products so I don't know if they have a reliability issue.

A quick Google search pulled up a discussion on overclock, and a person contacted Sapphire who confirmed it was an XTX card.

So is XTX ok? I swear that buying a GPU a few years ago wasn't nearly as complex!

That's my plan -- unfortunately they all seem to be bragging about some sort of OC capability since that's what typically sells. The ones that I listed in my post are the best priced ones that I can find.

With the exception of this guy:

But some of the reviews said that the GPU crapped out on them after a couple of months. I have no experience with ASRock products so I don't know if they have a reliability issue.

So is XTX ok? I swear that buying a GPU a few years ago wasn't nearly as complex!
@Midphase

My ASRock Vega 56 was a champ. I even flashed one of the BIOS slots to a Vega 64 and it is performing well.

I don't want to give you the wrong advice on the XTX. I don't have experience with it, so I can't say that it will work fine. @taconugget bought that card, and he said it works OOTB. The card is recognized as a 73BF from his screenshots. So I would say that it should work fine. But unless I had that exact card myself, I can't be 100% certain. I am hoping taconugget will chime in with his experience.

Back