Contribute
Register

macOS 12.3 Update Causes Problems for 5700/6800/6900 Graphics Cards

Why should you flash the BIOS of your graphics card? Good question, I didn't. Merely the property injection added.
I thought it was part of the process. Anyway I can also confirm that W5700X spoof on PowerColor Red Devil RX 5700XT worked just as fine and geekbench scored back to normal on 12.3

Here's my main issue if anyone can help. I have a 49" ultrawide that I use sometimes with pbp mode i.e., split between two inputs 1/2 and 1/2 , one hackintosh and another with work laptop. Upto 12.2.1 this worked well with no issues. But now, despite having property injection to spoof my graphics card into W5700X, the screen just blacks out. I can say tell that the monitor does not receive any input signal, even if I switch it back into full monitor screen mode. I have to reboot my hackintosh.

Has anyone else faced this ? If anyone with an ultrawide can try it out and let me know if its happening to theirs hacks as well.

Last edited:
Yes, please upload your EFI, but make sure to scrub your serial number from your config.plist before uploading.
Hi Tedyun, Thank you for your help. By the way, I never had a serial number on my config.plist, so that should work. I look forward to your help with this. Again, thanks! :)

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    10.1 MB · Views: 72
Bad update. Animations are stuttering now on a RX 5700 XT.

Add this in devices properties, with your graphic deivces path :

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2022-03-21 à 21.05.23.png
    Capture d’écran 2022-03-21 à 21.05.23.png
    21.2 KB · Views: 111
How can I make this work? It just doesn't want to! RX 5500 XT, I've also tried to use "adder" and does nothing at all. Can't even boot while using @N,name

1647899480066.png

1647899591993.png

1647899649091.png

IOREG.png

Attachments

• 1647899664970.png
    1647899664970.png
    14.6 MB · Views: 99
  • IDKWTF.plist
    35.9 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Hi Tedyun, Thank you for your help. By the way, I never had a serial number on my config.plist, so that should work. I look forward to your help with this. Again, thanks! :)
Hi @tucoboy

You need to inject the 6900XT framebuffer in your DeviceProperties

Can you follow CaseySJ's instruction here

In particular, the instructions in red to "Right click and select "Device Path" to copy to clipboard" then post the device path here. With that information, I can put the keys in for injecting the framebuffer.

Also, just to confirm, your card is the stock 6900XT?

Yeah, LAN interface freeze, that's a good way to describe what happened to me. Luckily, the network came right back up once I'd rebooted my Hack.

I'm going to try the Device Properties entries one last time; on another thread here someone had also entered device_type and model strings in their config.plist so I'll give that a shot. I'm a little leery of causing another freeze skipping back and forth between 12.2.1 and 12.3 but I'll keep my fingers crossed and test that out tonight.
Any luck with this? Do you have link to the thread?

So my post was removed because "this is not a LAN thread" (perhaps it was my post above that was supposed to be deleted?) but my question was directly related to the GPU related issue, so I'm going to ask it again if everything looks alright with my set up.

I applied the new framebuffer to my config.plist under 12.2.1 and so far my Geekbench 5 score is relatively the same, going from 185130 to 188246. I also added the device id for my Ethernet, and that seems to be working well.

I'm curious though if it looks like I set it up right in OpenCore; in Hackintool my GPU no longer shows up as a 6900 XT but now just shows up as ???? (as does my Ethernet). Is there anything else I should add to the device properties for my GPU so it populates properly like it did before I added the framebuffer?

Is there a way to fix this? Also to be noted is that now GeekBench sees my GPU as "AMD Radeon HD GFX10 Family Unknown Prototype." I'm guessing this is cosmetic though.

I've also noticed that my 6900 XT's fans run all the time now, but they're quiet and I don't mind as I like that it's idling at 52C now instead of idling at 66C like it was before.
Screen Shot 2022-03-21 at 18.36.56.png
Screen Shot 2022-03-21 at 18.35.59.png
Screen Shot 2022-03-21 at 18.45.33.png

Thanks for the help everyone! So glad the community is able to find the solution to this stuff so quickly!

I've also noticed that my 6900 XT's fans run all the time now, but they're quiet and I don't mind as I like that it's idling at 52C now instead of idling at 66C like it was before
Wait! How do you know that? As far as I've seen, no one has made Navi 2 sensors for virtualSMC :\

Wait how do you know that? As far as i've seen, no one has made navi 2 sensors for virtualSMC :\
I use this! https://github.com/aluveitie/RadeonSensor

I use only the kext with iStat menus - I dropped it into EFI/OC/Kexts and added it to my config.plist. Temps seem in line with Windows reported temps so I think they’re fairly accurate, or at least useful for reference. Without the framebuffer, the fans would not come on until 75° C and then would shut off once it hit 55° C, and my GPU would always idle at 66°.

Now with the framebuffer the fans seem to idle always on, and temp at idle is 52°!

Back