Contribute
Register

macOS 12.3 Update Causes Problems for 5700/6800/6900 Graphics Cards

seems like every other desktop background works for me without issues except for the stock Monterey one. I'll just switch background.
Try deleting the graphics cache and then restarting, that worked for me.

I can confirm this 12.3 update breaks compatibility with 6800 XT (which seems to be also on real Mac Pros and eGPUs) as previously reported. Nerfed performances causing glitches and instability. Update went fine on OC 0.7.9 + 9980xe + 6800XT
This can be fix easily by adding the following in the config.plist and reboot.
1647531228371.png

After reboot, it came back to 178k, it was 88k before applying the patch.

1647531051308.png

Last edited by a moderator:
In addition to restoring Metal performance, does this patch also resolve the *.heic graphics glitches ?
Nope. I had that problem for very long time, so I resorted using custom background. There are many websites that provide pretty 4K background, I figure it's not worth the hassle dealing with HEIC problem.

1647533088461.png

How do you go about deleting the graphic cache ?
Either you use a program for this, e.g. CleanMyMac, or you google how to clear the cache under MacOS.

Short instruction: How to Clear Cache on Mac?
1. Close all applications on your Mac and open Finder.
2. Then click on "Go to folder" or press the key combination [Shift] + [Cmd] + [G].
3. Now enter "/Library/Caches" in the free text line.
4. Select the temporary files you want to remove.

For those who are experiencing HEIC glitches, are you all on Alder Lake processors? Is anyone using the last Apple supported Intel processor (Comet Lake) or lower experiencing these glitches?

For those who are experiencing HEIC glitches, are you all on Alder Lake processors? Is anyone using the last Apple supported Intel processor (Comet Lake) or lower experiencing these glitches?
On my Kaby Lake with RX 5500XT, the glitches are there on both monitors (one LG 4k, one ACER 4k) at the Monterey log in/user selection screen but I have macOS set to rotate my backgrounds from a folder of photos once I've logged in.

Can confirm the Carswell patch works. Also, running Alder Lake here with no glitches. From the screen shots it looks kinda like memory corruption, you guys overclocking your GPUs?

Screen Shot 2022-03-17 at 12.55.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-17 at 1.05.05 PM.png

Last edited:
Back