Contribute
Register

macOS 12.3 Update Causes Problems for 5700/6800/6900 Graphics Cards

Should i use it as "-enable-gva-support"?

Yes. Add that to your boot arguments in your config.plist. You may need to reset your NVRAM after doing so.

However I am not hopeful the setting will fix things. Based on the VideoProc screenshot you have shown me, this disproves my theory of graphics acceleration not being enabled.

From reports I have gathered, this only affects Navi based cards (RX 5000 and RX 6000 series). Polaris based cards (RX 500 series earlier) do not seem to be unaffected.

I can see there has been a change in the AMD driver in 12.3 to address a security vulnerability (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213183). However not sure what else is baked into 12.3.

Probably best to downgrade to 12.2.1 and wait for the next 12.3 beta release to check if this has been fixed.

Apple was doing some big changes with AMD 5xxx and 6xxx drivers while trying to work with Blender CycleX. Yes, I could confirm, now it's work but in opposite of all other.

I saw some info on other forums that Apple doesn't know about this issues. We should post about this problem not only here.

AMD 6900XT, performancce dropped significantly not just in benchmarks but games as well.

Before update, 120fps on WoW on ultra settings. post update, 40fps on same settings, and to get even 60fps have to turn settings to low/medium....Apple utterly gutted performance of GPU in this update.

if you are using a navi 2 card, AVOID this update like plague. in fact I'd gut software update to make sure this update is never allowed.
Have same issues with AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB

Sound like serious issues all round.

What I don't understand, however :

Is it a bit quick for some of you to upgrade to a new OS update so soon after its release? Why don't you wait at least a few days (may be even weeks) to see if there are serious issues about the new update? Are there any overriding reasons for you to perform the upgrade NOW?

Personally I believe it is foolhardy to perform an OS update / upgrade so soon after its release. I would have waited at least a few weeks to see if there are any problems and if so whether they are any fixes. Likewise with the also just released iOS 15.4 update. I will not update my iPhones for quite some time just to see if there are any possible problems that may turn up.

1. It's not just initial release. It's just minor update of OS. Why I should wait?
2. It brings blender cyclesX support. I start to upgrade immediately for professional using.
3. A lot of other stuff (Universal Control and other) that was advert a lot of time ago and people would like to start use after official release as soon as it released.

Nobody could imagine that somebody could broke Metal balls in absolutely empty room : )

Looks like AMD cards have serious performance issues with 12.3 update. What could be the reason ? Is Apple deliberately breaking it, to force people towards Apple Silicon ?

Sound like serious issues all round.

What I don't understand, however :

Is it a bit quick for some of you to upgrade to a new OS update so soon after its release? Why don't you wait at least a few days (may be even weeks) to see if there are serious issues about the new update? Are there any overriding reasons for you to perform the upgrade NOW?

Personally I believe it is foolhardy to perform an OS update / upgrade so soon after its release. I would have waited at least a few weeks to see if there are any problems and if so whether they are any fixes. Likewise with the also just released iOS 15.4 update. I will not update my iPhones for quite some time just to see if there are any possible problems that may turn up.

I updated knowing the risks due to the performance hits reported by people using the beta. I don't really use the full power of the video card on my Mac side anyway. I have the 6900 for gaming on my Windows side. On the Mac side, I do video processing and image processing, but it's not a huge concern. I'm more interested with the Universal Control feature.

I thought I would update to the release and let others with a 6X00 card know whether performance was OK or not (it's not!). I took one for the team!

Back