Contribute
Register

macOS 12.3 Update Causes Problems for 5700/6800/6900 Graphics Cards

CFG lock (aka. MSR 0xE2) has nothing to do with SSDT or property injections.
Do it in BIOS, patch the BIOS. Or just enable Kernel>Quirks>AppleXcpmCfgLock.
i know.. i ' m try understand what is important for "best" work of my nuc.. what is better if i work on ssdt or adding pci(0x00) in my conf.plist

tnx, for your time

I see...

I didn't watch the whole video, but if he is showing how to inject the framebuffers via an SSDT or via the config.plist, the config.plist is easier. The SSDT will require you to specify the ACPI path to your video card. This is generally pretty straightforward to do, but it's easier if you start with a working SSDT that you can modify. Also, some systems have a pretty complicated path.

In your situation, I would try to figure out the CFG lock. In general it is better to have it unlocked for system stability. I've heard that the macOS needs to write to that register under normal operation.

what zvrtst prog language is this in ssdt..??
i have problem with disable CFG lock in new version of bios.. with older (055 version) i did not have that problem.. but yes is thema for anather topic

That's my plan -- unfortunately they all seem to be bragging about some sort of OC capability since that's what typically sells. The ones that I listed in my post are the best priced ones that I can find.

With the exception of this guy:

But some of the reviews said that the GPU crapped out on them after a couple of months. I have no experience with ASRock products so I don't know if they have a reliability issue.

So is XTX ok? I swear that buying a GPU a few years ago wasn't nearly as complex!
Hello @Midphase
I actually have purchased this exact model from Asrock (rx 6900 XT phantom gaming) . I have installed since a couple of weeks now and so far (still early days though to conclude anything) all good both in MacOS 12.3.1 (no need to inject any device properties etc. ) and in win 11 (OC 0.7.9 dual boot). Careful though with the size and fit with your PC case: This card is simply gigantic and heavy (1.3 kgs) .

Last edited:
what zvrtst prog language is this in ssdt..??
i have problem with disable CFG lock in new version of bios.. with older (055 version) i did not have that problem.. but yes is thema for anather topic

The SSDT is in Assembly language.

Is your computer a NUC? How are you using a 6900XT with a NUC? In an eGPU box?

The SSDT is in Assembly language.

Is your computer a NUC? How are you using a 6900XT with a NUC? In an eGPU box?
yes, i use intel nuc 10 gen i5 and amd asus tuf rx6900xt with razor core x box…

yes, i use intel nuc 10 gen i5 and amd asus tuf rx6900xt with razor core x box…

I think getting an SSDT to work with an eGPU isn’t possible because the ACPI path is dynamically assigned when you plug it in. There was someone who was trying to do this with an XTXH card and I don’t think he was able to get it to work.

Hopefully you have an XT card. If you can’t update to 12.3.1, then try the config.plist framebuffer injection. I’m not sure that works with an eGPU, but I am pretty sure that’s your only option (aside from updating, which addresses the eGPU situation). Good luck!

@Sebseb82 :

What @etorix said.

Apple fixed the issue with the 12.3.1 update. I wouldn't mess around with the framebuffer injection. My GB scores are consistently better than any tweaking I did under the 12.3, with the framebuffer, with/without sPPT, with/without the SSDT.

If you insist though, if you have a 6900XT, you need to use the framebuffer injection with:

device_type string ATY,CarswellParent

It's all in the code that was supplied in the post.

If you have an 6900XTXH and you have the spoof installed, then you will also need to keep

device-id data BF730000

So confirmed, safe to update to 12.3.1 with an AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT? I have a Gigabyte Aorus, and avoided 12.3, because everyone said it bricked 6000-series GPU performance.

Last edited:
So confirmed, safe to update with an AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT? I have a Gigabyte Aorus, and avoided 12.3, because everyone said it bricked 6000-series GPU performance.
I'm pretty a 6800XT in 12.3.1. There are multiple threads here and on other sites reporting success.

On a separate note, I thought this bit of news is quite interesting. The Steam Deck has been hacked to run with a RX6900XT and it's about 10x faster than the onboard gpu!

Back