Contribute
Register

macOS 12.3 Update Causes Problems for 5700/6800/6900 Graphics Cards

Check out mattystonnie's SSDT's. I think he had one working for the 5500XT

Thanks but that's exactly what I was using before the update. I even tried disabling it but it makes no difference.

Thanks but that's exactly what I was using before the update. I even tried disabling it but it makes no difference.

Can you do an IORegistryExplorer screenshot, with a search for "GFX0" (quotes removed)?

ioreg dump from real mac I guess.

I'm wondering if someone on 12.2.1 and a 6900XT could do the ioreg dump and if those could have the missing values.

I would volunteer but I have no idea how to do that...

Honestly I was doing IO digging on 12.3 and everything still seems to be there, it's like apple is intentionally ignoring it. All my digging honestly further convinces me that this was not an accident. They probably did aim to silently break non mac EFI cards all while making sure any card sold directly from them (built in or BTO) works perfectly fine. It's very sus.

I would wager to guess they hoped only to kill off a few users that no one would listen to if they made noise and that would blow over, like the dirty they did with nvidia web driver where they "accidentally" made a bug in 10.14.0 and then promised to fix it by 10.14.2 but then said "you know what, actually we're not gonna fix that unless you agree to our terms of full control of your staff, your code, and what device Ids you allow" when the noise level was low enough to get away with it. We all know that nvidia told them where to stick those demands and how that ended :D

I have no doubt in my mind this is just as deliberate. I mean, even look at the timing with the studio and possibly summer mac pro. Luck is on our side though that enough customers who made investments for their egpu and mac pros are affected that they'll probably fix the "bug" this time, so that's hope at least. This one is more noisy that they could have planned for.

Anyways, So far my testing of getting a working config for 6900XT has been a bust. I narrowed down what variables were causing panic, but the ones that weren't don't help at all, so it seems like we're gonna need a hard dump from probably top tier 6xxx BTO card in mac pro to get somewhat more accurate values that won't panic the card/driver.

Re 12.3 update... I am having a slightly different problem with freezing.

This may be the wrong thread, but I use a Radeon Pro W5700 and don't want to start another until I know more.

This build is as iMac 20,2,for which (I believe) Radeon Pro W5700 is officially compatible as a build-to-order option.

12.2 runs well. (OC 0.7.8)

My goal was to see if Radeon Pro W5700 is also crippled and report finding. But ran into a worse problem.

Updating a working cloned drive from 12.2 to 12.3, there were 4 reboots, and at the 4th the boot logging went away, replaced by the Apple startup logo with progress bar, then startup stalled with progress at 10% (with "9 mins remaining").

After a long wait with no activity, I reset. Boot continued all the way to desktop, but no Finder menu bar. After about a minute, the system completely froze, no errors, but no mouse, not even CAPS LOCK light.

Booting existing 12.2 drive, everything back to working as before.

One concern I have is that the close drive is a Samsung 980 Pro. Samsung recently released yet another firmware update, which I hoped might correct the macOS Trim boot-delay problem, so I installed it before the upgrade — it doesn't fix the boot delay. But now I'm not sure if that drive might have something to do with this new problem? It seems to work fine and checks out when accessed from working 12.2.

What is best course of action at this time? Is there a bigger problem with Apple supported cards and there will be a 12.3.1, so just wait for that?

I'm getting worn down with hack and updates. PITA

All thoughts appreciated

I have created a SSDT which forces my RX 6800 XT to use the Belknap framebuffer. This brings the Metal score back to normal (from 30k to 160k). HEIC glitch remains.

1647479797634.png

I have attached the basic idea as aml, but you have to specify the correct ACPI path.

Attachments

• SSDT-CORE-DTPG.aml
    100 bytes · Views: 104
  • SSDT-R6EO-RX6800XT.aml
    413 bytes · Views: 134
What is best course of action at this time? Is there a bigger problem with Apple supported cards and there will be a 12.3.1, so just wait for that?

I'm getting worn down with hack and updates. PITA

All thoughts appreciated
From what I heard, the issue has now been escalated at Apple Support according to one Macrumors post, so they are working on it.

As for getting it going:

1) Try to enable full file access to the apps you're using under the privacy settings - it seems they have somehow been disabled with this update. That's what one user suggested which said worked for him.

2) You could try using Pavo's AMD card framebuffer dump script here to find out more info about your card > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ebuffers-for-high-sierra-using-clover.235409/

3) Do a separate install of 12.1/12.2 on another drive.

Back