Contribute
Register

macOS 11.1 Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Easy Update ... Clover r5127 and kext updated.

Schermata 2020-12-19 alle 14.24.43.png

Ciao!

@UtterDisbelief and all,

Ars Technica has a good article on the MDM bug in the 11.1 update .. however this only accounts for why many corporate Mac users can not update to 11.1 ... it does not account for the many other issues users are reporting after the update especially those (like yourself) with M1 based machines.

Looks like Apple really dropped the ball this time, it always makes me smile when Apple has an issue like this that effects real Mac's but Hackintosh systems seem mostly unaffected .. way to go Apple.

Cheers
Jay

Thanks @jaymonkey - good find.

My M1 Mini did the now you see me, now you don't software update notification, but after a reboot worked as it should - except the graphics sub-system crashed to a white noise screen. A long press on the power button brought everything back up again - except now I couldn't sign back into iCloud because the input field would not accept characters.

o_O

Interestingly, though the system had updated to 11.1 there had been no downloaded files in Library/Updates, to let me make a backup. Clearly they are cached somewhere hidden from prying eyes in much the same frame of mind that combo updaters etc are no longer available.

Last edited:
Thanks @jaymonkey - good find.

My M1 Mini did the now you see me, now you don't software update notification, but after a reboot worked as it should - except the graphics sub-system crashed to a white noise screen. A long press on the power button brought everything back up again - except now I couldn't sign back into iCloud because the input field would not accept characters.

o_O

Interestingly the system had updated to 11.1 but there had been no downloaded files in Library/Updates, so I could make a backup. Clearly they are cached somewhere hidden from prying eyes.

@UtterDisbelief,

Yes ... as detailed in Peter Paul's video that I linked to in Post #71, it seems like the increased system partition security in Big Sur is causing some issues ... both with the OS itself and with some 3rd part apps .... I'm sure Apple will get it sorted within the next few updates to Big Sur.

I'm pretty sure we'll see a 11.1 supplemental update very soon to address the MDM bug.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Apple is starting to make even MS Windows update system look good. That's really bad imo.

With no ability to manually download and install system updates as user-installed packages in Big Sur, getting the bug patched might be tricky. The bug might not manifest when the system requests a different version number, so perhaps an update to 11.2 will bypass the buggy requests and therefore be able to fix the bug in 11.2 without intervention. It would also be possible—if extremely hacky—for Apple to sideload the update into an unrelated patch that doesn't affect the OS version number.

All else failing, a complete reinstall of Big Sur from the App Store should get you to 11.1—although it's a 12.6GB download, and as with any major OS installation, you should be absolutely certain you've got good backups of all your data prior to the attempt.

Thanks Jay for your video. It is rare to see a face! I did not have your particular pain, but I am nervous not having Super Duper functioning. I too am relying on Time Machine, and have two bootable Catalina drives stored away for an emergency.

Apple is starting to make even MS Windows update system look good. That's really bad imo.

At least at this point you can choose when you want to update. More often than not with Windows you start up and get the dreaded "Please wait while we..." 2% etc. Yes, experienced users know how to pause updates but most don't and it's messy or needs an add-on utility.

Trouble is, of course, not knowing what might happen when you do press the button.

Some of the senior community members here have always said to wait until at least the .3 update of any verison of macOS. Starting to look like really good advice these days to avoid early adopter angst.

Some of the senior community members here have always said to wait until at least the .3 update of any verison of macOS. Starting to look like really good advice these days to avoid early adopter angst.

@tes96,

Yes I have no intention of updating any of my daily driver Hacks to Big Sur at least for a while, they are all currently running Clover 5107 and Catalina 10.15.7 .... I will probably not move to Big Sur until at least 11.3 and all these teething issues have been ironed out.

Like any Major update to MacOS it always takes a few months for 3rd party app developers to catch up even though they have had dev builds of Big Sur to work with for months, its always been like that for as long as i can remember.

I do have a test drive on my main rig that is running Big Sur 11.0.1 on OC 0.6.4 and that seems pretty stable but I only use for testing and research ...

Cheers
Jay

They have. Good advice.

Hey, my hackintosh is still on Mojave :thumbup:

The new M1 though - couldn't resist. Though reading the release notes the main new features are for AirPods Max integration... The bug fixes clearly missed the target there.

I upgraded my HP-8300 Ivy Bridge from 11.01 to 11.1 from OC 0.6.3 updated only my kexts and it went very smooth took about 10 to 15 min and all done
I did a fresh install of 11.1 using OC 0.6.4 but no internal audio. I followed the Guide and it seems all OK. Is your MB (ALC221) audio working? If so, how did you do it? Can you share your EFI folder?

Never mind: got it working with the help of @trs96. I needed a patch in config.plist.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back